Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeech

Character-specific mechanics in GG and BB

Hi, BB was my introduction to ASW games, I've never played GG at all.

One of the things I think is really interesting about BB compared to many other FGs, is the character specific mechanics.

I imagine many of them were inherited from GG? And presumably each game has a few that the other game doesnt?

Would someone care to make a brief list of the character specific mechanics in the latest GG? I just wanted to get an overview of the character mechanics in that game.

As an example, here's one for BB:

Physics based ones:

-Tager: Magnetism

- Rachael: Wind

- Hazama: Chain movement

Projectile based ones:

- Nu/Lambda: Middle-ranged swords

- Mu: Lasers/mines

- Arakune: curse mode bugs

- Platinum: Throwable items

Character mechanic changing ones:

- Valkenhein: Wolf transformation

- Hakumen: Reversal/counterattack

- Litchi: Pole/no pole

(I guess Bang FRKZ might belong here...)

Multiple character control ones:

- Carl: Neesan

- Relius: Ignis

Not meaningfully different from standard attack ones:

- Ragna: Life drain

- Jin: Freeze

- Bang: Autoguard + Seals

- Taokaka: Flying dash attack

- Makoto: Charge attack

- Noel: Auto chain attack

- Tsubaki: meter for special attacks

It's not quite as prominent as in BB, but I'll list the really unique things for each character I guess. Brief summary style. Note that these are not always the defining characteristic of the character, just something very unique about that character in particular. The game is very different, so you can't really compare apples to FRCs...

jam - cards that allow extra cancels mid-combo and a parry input

a.b.a. - two modes, 1 slow, 1 fast and powerful, but drains life. switching modes intentionally recovers the health lost

robo ky - special tension gauge. specials cost 10% tension to a minimum of 0%. specials are stronger at certain tension levels

bridget - has a yoyo, it turns into shit temporarily

dizzy - summons fish on the screen (and other shit like bubbles)

sol - nothing too unusual

ky - nothing too unusual

testament - sets traps on screen

zappa - three summons that extend his move list. can get a 4th super summon with orbs gained from normal summons

johnny - limited coins power 1 special move up

may - dolphins (not that unusual) and a dust that can hit high or low

faust - throws items on screen. RNG based on which you get.

axl - chains that have disjointed hitboxs. think dhalsim

anji - some moves have autoguard, and he has attacks that can only be used in autoguard.

order sol - charge gauge that powers his specials/supers. depletes on use.

baiken - counter moves from blockstun

ino - morrigan style dash, but not that unusual

chipp - teleports, but not that unusual

millia - hair as weapon, but not that unusual

eddie - summons a shadow, controlled at same time as eddie.

potemkin - grappler

slayer - teleporting dash, has a move that has multiple branches, not that unusual

venom - summons pool balls. they are inactive until used.

In GG every move or special affects gameplay at some levels, it's way more difficult to point out a chara, like the drive is for BB.

For example, for Anji the bufferfly (shi) is WAY more important than autoguards :psyduck:

Still, nice analisys ^^

It's not quite as prominent as in BB, but I'll list the really unique things for each character I guess. Brief summary style. Note that these are not always the defining characteristic of the character, just something very unique about that character in particular. The game is very different, so you can't really compare apples to FRCs...

jam - cards that allow extra cancels mid-combo and a parry input

a.b.a. - two modes, 1 slow, 1 fast and powerful, but drains life. switching modes intentionally recovers the health lost

robo ky - special tension gauge. specials cost 10% tension to a minimum of 0%. specials are stronger at certain tension levels

bridget - has a yoyo, it turns into shit temporarily

dizzy - summons fish on the screen (and other shit like bubbles)

sol - nothing too unusual

ky - nothing too unusual

testament - sets traps on screen

zappa - three summons that extend his move list. can get a 4th super summon with orbs gained from normal summons

johnny - limited coins power 1 special move up

may - dolphins (not that unusual) and a dust that can hit high or low

faust - throws items on screen. RNG based on which you get.

axl - chains that have disjointed hitboxs. think dhalsim

anji - some moves have autoguard, and he has attacks that can only be used in autoguard.

order sol - charge gauge that powers his specials/supers. depletes on use.

baiken - counter moves from blockstun

ino - morrigan style dash, but not that unusual

chipp - teleports, but not that unusual

millia - hair as weapon, but not that unusual

eddie - summons a shadow, controlled at same time as eddie.

potemkin - grappler

slayer - teleporting dash, has a move that has multiple branches, not that unusual

venom - summons pool balls. they are inactive until used.

You forgot Sol's clean hit, and I agree with Fenir.

Ah thanks. So there arent any physics-based stuff in GG, and Eddie is the only character that has multi-character control?

How do zappa's summons work? are they stationary like mines, or controllable like eddie's shadow?

Summons give him special attacks and replace normals (sword, ghosts, Raou). With dog summon Zappa still remains with his normals and can control dog separately through D-inputs. Similar to Carl. Or probably Nirvana is similar to Eddie and Zappa's dog.

I would like to point out that character's "uniqueness" is based on a gameplay features, while not being so distinct from an onlooker's side. So, Ky and Sol are pretty much unique when it comes to gameplay. And the description should be boring "fire powers"/"lightning powers".

Ah thanks. So there arent any physics-based stuff in GG, and Eddie is the only character that has multi-character control?

How do zappa's summons work? are they stationary like mines, or controllable like eddie's shadow?

Best relation would be a mix of Ignis and Litchi's staff. He only has access to some moves with the appropriate summon. Its just there's a few summons that are summoned by (mostly) RNG. But that's my best comparsion, since you can't independently move the summons like eddies shadow or nirvana.

Well, Bridget can pull himself toward his placed yoyo, and I-no dash puts her airborn, Chip has teleports, and roboky has a weird helicopter flight move.

There are actually plenty of stuff that alters physics, but aside from I-no's dash they aren't really defining features.

Another thing I notice is that Relius is listed under multiple character control, but isn't Ignis comparable to Litchi's staff in application? The only real difference I can see is that it has it's own health gauge. Still, in my expirence (which admitedly isn't to much) Litchi's staff and Relius's Ignis are more similar than Ignis and Ada.

I think it's fair to put Ignis on the multi-character category because it's possible to use some of her moves while Relius is "busy". Although most of Ignis' moves are actually Relius' attacks (which would make him similar to Litchi) some aren't, and it's also possible to move Igniz far away for a short while.

Also I think Platinum fits much more into the "Character mechanic changing" category than the Projectile one since only 2 of her 6 itens are projectiles. Platinum is a character whose greatest strength is randomly determined by the itens she gets (Guard breaking with Hammer, Reversals with Bat, Spacing with cat-hammer...).

And yes, although the characters in GG are very unique, their peculiarities are not as set as stone as in BB, with a few exceptions.