Sign in to follow this  
Lord Knight

Lord Knight's GAMEPLAY RELATED QUESTIONS ONLY thread (EX edition)

Well, the complaints about the combo system are less a balance question and more about making the game more interesting to get into or watch. Though I'll be honest and say that shorter combos probably won't make anyone who isn't already playing pick it up.

Hey LK. I don't know what steps to take to move on to the next level. Did you notice anything in the 50 or so matches that we played that I should work on? Or is it just an experience thing at this point.

Hey LK. I don't know what steps to take to move on to the next level. Did you notice anything in the 50 or so matches that we played that I should work on? Or is it just an experience thing at this point.

*Looks at his signature* You should main Ragna and maybe you'd win more. :v:

hey lk what would you recommend for those (like myself) who want to take a big step and be a top player? l mean besides going to more tournaments cause im already working on that. EDIT didnt realize mt5a posted the exact same thing lol :v: what he said.

Really to get better you just gotta follow simple steps:

1. Fight different stronger players.

2. Experiment.

3. Observe how you lost and find ways to not be put in that position.

and repeat.

That's all I did.

But that implies netplaying D:

In all seriousness, pretty much what A.X.I.S. said. Play strong people a lot. If they're good, they'll make you suffer for your mistakes and you'll end up developing a solid style of play.

LK: How do I beat Ragna with Relius or Valkenhayn? I used to know in CS2, but I have NO IDEA how to fight this character in Ex. Is there anyway to keep him from doing whatever he wants?

block.

Sorry, but this answer doesn't work here. No matter how good your blocking is, by definition, by just blocking you let Ragna do whatever he wants.

Unfortunately, the real answer isn't any more fun - it's basically "be significantly better than the Ragna player at footsies."; Though with Relius, you should just be able to pressure using Ignis.

Sorry, but this answer doesn't work here. No matter how good your blocking is, by definition, by just blocking you let Ragna do whatever he wants.

Unfortunately, the real answer isn't any more fun - it's basically "be significantly better than the Ragna player at footsies."; Though with Relius, you should just be able to pressure using Ignis.

DP>Relius

The Ragna matchup is basically "bait Inferno Divder hard"

man i should have known someone would take me literally.

i honestly don't mean "just sit there like a retard and block all day like a retard," i more or less mean "block until you see the opponent do something stupid or unsafe, then punish with whatever you got."

because quite honestly a good defense will shut down a lot of ragna's options regardless of whether ragna's all over you ass with his footsies or not. the only reason ragna gets most of his footsies in is because he catches the opponent doing something stupid during neutral, so if you fix that issue by blocking more often, then you should have an easier time dealing with him.

the only reason ragna gets most of his footsies in is because he catches the opponent doing something stupid during neutral

Like trying to counter footsie with him in general? It's extremely difficult to out poke Ragna at neutral, especially with Relius. You can only block 6B/GH mixup so many times. People have been saying he has an avg mix up for years and that you can block everything on reaction, but I have yet to see ANYONE (including JP) do it consistently. Combine this fact with his insane neutral game, and you have a character that's going to just...well...press buttons and win.

We're not even going to start on his defense w/ ID. That move shouldn't even be in the damn game.

Like trying to counter footsie with him in general? It's extremely difficult to out poke Ragna at neutral, especially with Relius. You can only block 6B/GH mixup so many times. People have been saying he has an avg mix up for years and that you can block everything on reaction, but I have yet to see ANYONE (including JP) do it consistently. Combine this fact with his insane neutral game, and you have a character that's going to just...well...press buttons and win.

We're not even going to start on his defense w/ ID. That move shouldn't even be in the damn game.

There are ways to play certain matchups

trying to beat ragna in a straight, neutral poking situation is not one of them

When Ragna is at the range he can IAD j.C just mentally know he can do that and have your anti-air ready. Keep doing whatever you need to keep him out, but don't let him jump at you for free.

When he gets to 5B range, think about what counters 5B and have that ready (i.e: I usually 2B Ragnas running at me to counter 5B). Give him a reason to not kick you in the face and it becomes a lot easier. I'm sure every character has at least one counter for it, but idk.

If you're that worried about 5B footsies just block it. at max range, there is no mixup he can do. If you are in 5B range, just backdash and make it whiff, jump away and use an aerial move to cover you, or get ready to counter it.

I know it's been said 1000 times, but just bait ID. It's not about him instantly losing half his health from a FC combo. It's about making sure he doesn't do as often. eating a FC just gives him more reason to think about. If you bait in the middle of your strings, then mentally the Ragna is probably like "Oh shit" cause obviously you read him. If you try to bait all the time the Ragna is probably gonna try and take advantage of that. On wakeup if he has 50 heat, respect the ID or die. Make his ID whiff so he can't RC.

I know that's some generic advice, but I guess Ragna IS a generic character.

There are ways to play certain matchups

trying to beat ragna in a straight, neutral poking situation is not one of them

I completely agree with this.^

As a person who got pretty damn good at this match up I have to say you have to just avoid 5B and J.C and not do anything stupid or risky.

It's a reason why I call Ragna "The no fun zone" character.

It's because he can easily call out a lot of things and punish you hard for it.

LK what do you think of Tsubaki? What do you think makes her so difficult/easy to use in EX?

man i should have known someone would take me literally.

i honestly don't mean "just sit there like a retard and block all day like a retard," i more or less mean "block until you see the opponent do something stupid or unsafe, then punish with whatever you got."

because quite honestly a good defense will shut down a lot of ragna's options regardless of whether ragna's all over you ass with his footsies or not. the only reason ragna gets most of his footsies in is because he catches the opponent doing something stupid during neutral, so if you fix that issue by blocking more often, then you should have an easier time dealing with him.

It wasn't so much "taking you seriously" as "trying to get you to post this sort of answer instead" :P

I don't necessarily agree with this - Guardian expresses my PoV pretty accurately - but it's much more valuable and interesting than a snippy one word answer. ;)

I've got a few questions for you LK:

First of all, when you've been put in the corner, how do you personally go about deciding what to do? I know you can block, DP, mash, or burst. I've also found out recently that you can throw sometimes. Is this a viable tactic, and if so, when? One of the biggest problems I have aside from my issues with combo execution and doing stupid shit is not knowing how to choose what to do in the corner. Online I often go for DP and get punished because frame lag prevents me from DPing, so I've recently been trying other things. However, I still do not know what I should use to determine my course of action. If they are not right up on top of me, I know enough not to burst or DP. I often get punished when I try to jump out, fail at a DP, or mash. Sometimes, I also get caught by people who spam overheads on wakeup. What advice do you have to offer for this?

Second, seriously speaking, how long did it take you to become competent enough at the game to beat people regularly, as well as go relatively far in tournaments? How often did you practice? What did you work on when practicing, and how often? I realize these questions may be misdirected as IIRC, you've been playing since CT, but I'd like just a rough idea. Aside from combo execution, what do you feel is most important to work on?

Third, y u so swag?

I netplayed stickbug last night, and between Friday night at Ril's and then, he apparently got godlike w/ Tao, that or lent his PS3 to some relatively decent Tao player like Tsujikawa or something..

Nonsense aside, can you give me a few pointers on Rags vs Tao? You were just rofl stomping me and I felt completely clueless.. I died air to air when I tried to chase you, and trying to counter your approaches didn't work either.. was I using the wrong pokes in the wrong place, or just approaching the match up completely wrong.. halp!

I netplayed stickbug last night, and between Friday night at Ril's and then, he apparently got godlike w/ Tao, that or lent his PS3 to some relatively decent Tao player like Tsujikawa or something..

Nonsense aside, can you give me a few pointers on Rags vs Tao? You were just rofl stomping me and I felt completely clueless.. I died air to air when I tried to chase you, and trying to counter your approaches didn't work either.. was I using the wrong pokes in the wrong place, or just approaching the match up completely wrong.. halp!

Edit: I'm 99.9% certain that I can't read.

hey lk what would you recommend for those (like myself) who want to take a big step and be a top player? l mean besides going to more tournaments cause im already working on that. EDIT didnt realize mt5a posted the exact same thing lol what he said.

There's no one way to do it. I mean, of course you need to handle the stuff you can practice first (which is more what MashThat5A would have to do), but for someone who's been playing for a long time and knows the game well, it's more of a matter of self-reflection on your own play. In my opinion, it's best to challenge people of all skill levels, not just strong players, because people of different skill levels handle different situation's differently, and adapt in different ways, or don't adapt, or adapt after a long time.... it depends on what type of player they are (which is why I don't like PSN :/).

LK: How do I beat Ragna with Relius or Valkenhayn? I used to know in CS2, but I have NO IDEA how to fight this character in Ex. Is there anyway to keep him from doing whatever he wants?

Well, Valk didn't change either, so shouldn't that match be more or less the same? And as far as Relius goes, have you tried to see what works for your Valk (or other chars that you see in videos) and apply that to him?

It's unfortunate, but sometimes you just can't disencourage someone from playing a certain way.

LK what do you think of Tsubaki? What do you think makes her so difficult/easy to use in EX?

Tsubaki's cute but her outfit is kind of silly. She's a pretty straightforward character, but since they toned down her no gauge combos a bit, I think it's harder to win with her...

I've got a few questions for you LK:

First of all, when you've been put in the corner, how do you personally go about deciding what to do? I know you can block, DP, mash, or burst. I've also found out recently that you can throw sometimes. Is this a viable tactic, and if so, when? One of the biggest problems I have aside from my issues with combo execution and doing stupid shit is not knowing how to choose what to do in the corner. Online I often go for DP and get punished because frame lag prevents me from DPing, so I've recently been trying other things. However, I still do not know what I should use to determine my course of action. If they are not right up on top of me, I know enough not to burst or DP. I often get punished when I try to jump out, fail at a DP, or mash. Sometimes, I also get caught by people who spam overheads on wakeup. What advice do you have to offer for this?

Second, seriously speaking, how long did it take you to become competent enough at the game to beat people regularly, as well as go relatively far in tournaments? How often did you practice? What did you work on when practicing, and how often? I realize these questions may be misdirected as IIRC, you've been playing since CT, but I'd like just a rough idea. Aside from combo execution, what do you feel is most important to work on?

Third, y u so swag?

For your first question, it all depends on the character, the player, and what they are doing to me. First off, you shouldn't limit yourself to just block, DP, mash, or burst - don't forget you also have counter assault and barrier jump available! Throwing is probably the riskiest option to use to escape pressure, there are only a couple of very specific places where I would even try to use throw to escape pressure. This may (or may not be) common knowledge, but if a throw and an attack connect on the same frame, the throw will always win, so I'd only suggest using a throw in a situation where this could happen, like after IB'ing Litchi's 6D. Even then, they could still jump/backdash/do something different, so it's still a pretty big risk.

There is a time where each of these actions can work, and there is a time where they could fail. Jin has a dp, so usually when you have 50 meter, DP is a pretty nice, safe way to get out, but you could use Counter assault. Outright mashing can work if you notice them doing pressure that's unsafe (say, Ragna's doing 2B > 2B) but that can be easily stopped by a frame trap (think Ragna 2A > 2C, which gives Fatal Counter). Jumping out with barrier works sometimes too, but you can be hit out of jump start up if they use the right string. Blocking or using barrier is fine, but if you notice that they aren't actually being pushed out to a range that makes it hard for them to keep pressuring, it's better to save your barrier. In the end, this actually a pretty complicated question....

As far as how I go about getting out of pressure, it depends on what character I'm using, what character my opponents using, how much meter I have/they have, any habits I've observed... there are a bunch of variables.

If people are just spamming overheads when you're getting up, just DP them lol.

Hmm, for your second question... I've played BB since around one month after CT's arcade release, so 3ish years now. And before that, I played Melty Blood for 2 years, and during that, I played Smash since I was 15 years old. So I've been playing games competitively for almost 7 years (whoa). In Smash it took me about 6 months to get to top 8 at locals, then I switched my main to a top tier character, and it took me another 5-6 months of playing to get pretty good and do well at regionals. Fighting games are obviously different, but when I started playing MB, the skill level was very low, so I was able to beat most players relatively quickly. When BB came out was around when I stopped playing Melee and Brawl, at that point I thought I was pretty good at MB (though looking back, I really wasn't). And from there, I got to play BB for 6 months before everyone else. Everyone except for Jiyuna, Nas, and St1ckbug gave up CT at our arcade in around 2 months, Jiyuna was the only player I couldn't beat consistently. But as far as BB goes, I've been able to do well in the game from the start - but I don't think I actually got REALLY good at BB, and fighting games in general, until the second half of CS1.

As far as practice, I played Melee with one of the world's best players every weekend for about 5-6 hours straight for 6 months straight, and I went to tournaments almost every weekend, but only practiced a little during the week. MBAC I netplayed almost everyday for a couple of hours a day. Brawl I played at tournaments, but not too often. BBCT arcade, I'd try to play once a week or so, when the game came out I netplayed for a couple of hours a day, same with CS1/2/EX. Before tournaments I play a lot, if there's nothing big coming up I play about an hour a day or so, sometimes more depending on my mood.

For me, practice = play. Most of my practice time is spent actually playing matches. Usually early on in a new game I'll practice combos for a while, play a bunch of matches, and then start going into matchup strategy. Aside from combo execution, matchup strategy is the most important, and that pretty much encompasses the entire game.

In my opinion, it's best to challenge people of all skill levels, not just strong players, because people of different skill levels handle different situation's differently, and adapt in different ways, or don't adapt, or adapt after a long time.... it depends on what type of player they are (which is why I don't like PSN :/).

Not trying to start anything, but do you really feel that PSN players don't do as well as Xbox live players?

Not trying to start anything, but do you really feel that PSN players don't do as well as Xbox live players?

FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

I was wondering what he meant by that too.