Sign in to follow this  
Honnou

I-no vs May

:MA: MAY MATCHUP INFORMATION

Kaimaku

I-no 5hs > May 5hs, might beat May 3k, have to double check later

I-no 2s > ?

I-no S STBT > May 5s(f), goes under May 5k but she will recover in time to block (use with caution because of May 5hs at start of the round)

I-no 6p > May S Dolphin

I-no jump back S dive > May 6p if she doesn't hold it (good to note that S dive and May 6p are both delayable)

I-no IAD backwards j.hs is another safe option.

Poking Game/Neutral

This is one match where I-no 6hs at the right distances really shines. It flat out beats most of May's approaches, dolphins and jump-ins (can lose to J.hs but you shouldn't be challenging that with this move and if she is using that on the way in constantly), you should blow her up with other moves.

If she is dicking around in the air just throwing j.hs and turtling, force her to block a note and move in, or judge her height and do an air HCL at the right time.

If may does gatling->5s(f) IAD, IB the 5s(f) and blow up her approach with j.p air-to-air. J.p counter hit combos to j.hs directly. Feel free to experiment in training mode to convert to knockdown with good damage. Unexpected j.p AA can always combo to I-no's force break too.

Strategy

Fish for the right move to knock May down and don't hesitate to go in. Greedy Mays that IAD too much get hit by jump back j.hs if done early, leads to knockdown on CH. J.p beats any air normals of May at the right moments, but be wary of j.hs because if you don't reach her in time, the anchor will swing around and clock you. The benefit of using j.p is that the chances of you being hit CH are greatly reduced.

If May has a tendency to backdash too much, or reversal throw a lot, hover dash barely off the ground->j.d blows up both of these when properly timed.

Knowledge

*May is one of the floatiest characters in the game, can often tech out of normally untechable moves. Learn combos that knock her down for sure.

*I-no j.hs will knock may out of many of her moves, but loses to May j.hs unless done preemptively. Proceed with caution.

*May's best CHs she will fish for are 6p, j.hs, and 5hs. Don't get hit by these and you'll be on your way to victory.

*Even though she lacks an SRK, May will often try to squirm her way out of bad situations. Plan your okizeme with her reversal backdash, 1-frame jump, wakeup dolphin, and wakeup Super (the spin anchor one, wakeup whale loses to meaties).

*2d combos to HCL at any range. Have fun with extra damage :) A jump installed combo can go to 2d, HCL 6FRC6 for a full combo as well.

Specific Punishes

Against May 3k: She should NEVER do this move but you'll see May be the greedy little bitch you know she is sometimes and you should punish her hard.

TK K dive, TK P dive (you have to get the right height to air dash after), air dash j.hs, s dive, 5k JI HCL 6FRC6 j.s, VCL, 5hs jc j.jhs k dive (I will test damage soon)

From a further distance block (do this too close and far slash will whiff):

25%

5s(f) COUNTER HIT, hover dash as deep as you can, j.s, jc j.s j.hs s dive (brief hold), land, 5k, JI HCL 6FRC6 j.s VCL, 5hs, jc j.jhs k dive. 125 damage.

Against May gatling string into 5s(f), IAD j.s, j.hs: I-no j.p/sj.p will beat it, backdash will work but with the wrong timing you'll get clobbered, 6p will probably fail or whiff and make May whiff too, I-no can use 2k to go under IAD attacks safely :)

6p has it's place in this match, namely for beating poor jump ins, any dolphin at the right distance (when theyre coming in at around a 45 degree angle over your head or straight at you), and the occasional ground normal (sometimes trades).

Edited by Honnou

i hate the may fight so much its gay as shit 6P is like murder to i-no she gets dizzied so easily off of this move. jhs is really hard to get around sometimes i try to zone with 6hs 6p helps sometimes and so does jp its really hard to note her ill just go for airthrows

Can any of the dustloop vets give me some advice on may? This fight is so stupid, my pokes fail me soooo hard...meanwhile may can just spam all of her meaty high priority pokes 2 her hearts content. I might have 2 post up a quick vid 2 show u all what i'm talkin about.

Tried lookin up vids like this one, but it only helps a little : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCBpuuFKmII

Worst match-up in the game. May get's away with WAY to much in this fight. 5HS, 6P, SVD, J.HS & J.2HS will be spammed. Your combos's MUST KD, yourOKI MUST be greater than your opponents defense. Anything shorter and you lose.

I cannot stress the fact of how much space you need in this fight. With space it gives I-No the upperhand to control her movement with notes and catch her doing anything risky. May's whiffed 6HS is punishable by HCL 3K blocked gives you a counter hit SSTBT By all means do not get hit by 6P..thats a trip to frown town IBing vertical dolphins usually get you a 2hs>2d>hcl punish if they land in front of you. If it crosses you up and you block it, use this oppurtunity to launch with 5s© and get a nice dive combo. 6HS is your anti air of choice IF YOU HAVE SPACE. VCLs can ground extremely high mays and take care of some vertical dolphins. Use with caution though. J.p is only to be used as an answer to airdashes not ad.Jhs...thats just bloody murder. abuse the shit outta J.k on oki and if somehow you are caught falling towards May. 6P handles may's J.2Hs Ground pokes include 5k, 2k, 2Hs careful use of JP and a spaced J.hs in the air should limit her approach in the air not to mention beating any vertical dolphin. Your goal is to beat out any dolphin and not get caught by the FB. Airthrow when you can. SPACE SPACE SPACE

Any match that you do not get 6p'd and CH by silly shit is totally possible! Don't give up.

6HS is your anti air of choice IF YOU HAVE SPACE.

VCLs can ground extremely high mays and take care of some vertical dolphins. Use with caution though.

J.p is only to be used as an answer to airdashes not ad.Jhs...thats just bloody murder.

abuse the shit outta J.k on oki and if somehow you are caught falling towards May.

6P handles may's J.2Hs

Ground pokes include 5k, 2k, 2Hs

careful use of JP and a spaced J.hs in the air should limit her approach in the air not to mention beating any vertical dolphin. Your goal is to beat out any dolphin and not get caught by the FB.

Airthrow when you can.

SPACE SPACE SPACE

THIS!

The truth. 6hs owns Up dolphins coming down towards you at a not so steep angle, vert/hor. dolphins starting, and horizontal dolphins coming at a distance. 6p is still important here, but not vs. high up j.hs/j.2hs/j.s attacks. If may is going to do pressure into j.2hs from high up, get out of the way by either super jumping back (use j.p/j.hs)/dashing forward if you have space/VCL to knock her out if she didn't cross you over. If crossed over, back dash/VCL the other way if you were fast enough/reaction super is probably best.

J.p will mess up May bad but don't get greedy with spamming it at distances where you'll just get counter hit. It's better for assaulting May at certain angles where you can get inside her attacks with a quick hit. J.p should combo to j.s, j.hs s/k dive or HCL 6FRC6 j.hs k dive for knockdown, or combo j.p spam to forcebreak j.hs j.d jc j.hs j.d VCL (if she is considerally above you after force break, j.d jc j.hs jd vcl will most likely work)

Also try to make fullproof okis (as much as possible. A deep j.k/j.s works well because if May backdashes, you can just 5k HCL 6FRC6 etc, or. a deep j.hs that isn't too low because it will hit mays backdash as well, and you can combo that into 5p/5k/5s©depending on how you land. If possible, fast fall VCL/VCL frc okis are amazing too, because they secure her about as sure as you can while keeping you safe from wakeup dolphins and whatnot.

yeah you can't fuzzy guard may...shame. but her backdash is not that good so make sure you handle it appropriately as with any backdash. beware of reversal supers note frc oki is the most foolproof way to ensure that she doesn't backdash shit and is the most solid oki in the game next to dizzy's oki. im not a fan of vcl oki on small chars but this will hold her in place quite nicely if you meaty it correctly (itll save you tension and other things you might not want to lose, like your life bar). if you choose to stroke, here are the ONLY moves you are probably going to beat: 5p, 5k,3k (on block), 6p. With that being said not much stroking is going to be taking place unless you are trying to get across the screen from an aerial may. Tk dives in block strings will beat any dolphin, ie 5s© TK sdive (for a combo or knockdown)/k dive (for knockdown) if she dolphins, in between 5s and the dive she will be counterhit and either dive on counter hit gives you a combo or knockdown or both if you know how to combo. The reason for me putting only 5k, 2k, and 2hs as pokes are because they are your fastest moves with range. Outside of this May WILL murder you on the ground with 5HS. Tis all.

btw timing is everything but STBT (stroke) beats Horizontal dolphin for LOL TIMES. Yes. but 6p is better

http://frozenheat.net/ggxx/

in group 5 or 6 (they are accidentally the same vid), there is matchup footage of me vs. mays, i think maybe both phaethon h and TaoFTW (formerly MayFTW)

sorry for missing so many combos but(my first time playing gg since coming back from japan, should be better, you know? got rusty instead) matchup advice has more to do with how you maneuver anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9K-rA8kBOw (I got raped pretty bad the first round, but you can learn some of the things not to do lol)

I may have more vids vs TaoFTW somewhere, I'd have to do some serious searching though.

This happens a lot to me. I noticed that the times I do win are usually because I played out of my mind and had control of the round.

btw timing is everything but STBT (stroke) beats Horizontal dolphin for LOL TIMES. Yes. but 6p is better

http://frozenheat.net/ggxx/

in group 5 or 6 (they are accidentally the same vid), there is matchup footage of me vs. mays, i think maybe both phaethon h and TaoFTW (formerly MayFTW)

sorry for missing so many combos but(my first time playing gg since coming back from japan, should be better, you know? got rusty instead) matchup advice has more to do with how you maneuver anyways.

lol the player using the May in the blue costume seemed afraid of going in. I guess this is what you guys meant when you said controlling space is important. Saw a lot of nicely timed 6hs/j.p/j.hs

yeah he was playing defensively that time...any match i have vs phaethon h (default may), he is attacking like 110% of the time lol

may has no reason to play defensively in this fight at all. may playing defensively probably means i-no is going to have a lot more space. space is probably the deal breaker in this fight for i-no....well space and punishment.

Sign in to follow this