WolfCrimson

Netplay Connection Improvement Guide

Move the modem.
Which seems to be the only viable option at this point. Looks like I have to learn how to install a phone jack to where the PS3 is. :v:

So I heard you can set up a wired connection with your PS3 via your laptop. Can anybody explain how this works? If I have the means to do this, I may go for it as I'm still in the current predicament of not being able to move the family modem around.

So I heard you can set up a wired connection with your PS3 via your laptop. Can anybody explain how this works? If I have the means to do this, I may go for it as I'm still in the current predicament of not being able to move the family modem around.

I was gonna LMGTFY, but decided not to. Basically you're gonna bridge the connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qak_iIsU7y4

or

http://dailykermit.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/bridge-connection-between-pc-and-playstation-3/

If your laptop/desktop doesn't have two ethernet ports then you're basically going to be running off the laptop's wireless internet anyway so it defeats the whole purpose. Obviously you would want your laptop connection to be wired, then your ps3 would be connected into the other ethernet port. Just follow the directions on either of those and you should be able to set it up. If not....Google.

I don't know if this was mentioned or still holds true but mic's do not cause lag on xbox 360.

I was gonna LMGTFY, but decided not to. Basically you're gonna bridge the connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qak_iIsU7y4

or

http://dailykermit.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/bridge-connection-between-pc-and-playstation-3/

If your laptop/desktop doesn't have two ethernet ports then you're basically going to be running off the laptop's wireless internet anyway so it defeats the whole purpose. Obviously you would want your laptop connection to be wired, then your ps3 would be connected into the other ethernet port. Just follow the directions on either of those and you should be able to set it up. If not....Google.

Funny, because I did go to Google first and looked up numerous guides, but didn't know where to start, but the links that you gave me look pretty straightforward, so thanks. :)

Anyway, unfortunately, my laptop only has one ethernet cable, but would using something like this work?

Funny, because I did go to Google first and looked up numerous guides, but didn't know where to start, but the links that you gave me look pretty straightforward, so thanks. :)

Anyway, unfortunately, my laptop only has one ethernet cable, but would using something like this work?

Seems like it would but I can't personally confirm since I've never used something like that. I'd say it is worth a shot as long as you can return it if it doesn't work that way.

I just realized that my laptop needs to have a wired connection to the modem in the first place, and again, the family modem is in my parent's bedroom, so there's not much I can do again. :v:

Can I purchase a router and the USB Ethernet port, have my laptop wired to the router which in turn has a wireless connection to the family modem while my PS3 is wired to the USB Ethernet port?

Flipping through this thread cause I want to make sure I have decent connection on BB which in turn should (I hope) equal just as decent connection for CP and GGACPR.

Can I purchase a router and the USB Ethernet port, have my laptop wired to the router which in turn has a wireless connection to the family modem while my PS3 is wired to the USB Ethernet port?

I have no idea if you solved your problem by now but, if the router is wireless, doesn't that still defeat the purpose? I was under the impression that all devices needed to wired in this situation...

A useful tip I discovered just today for people who have family members who stream Netflix all the time. If they are agreeable, ask them to turn the quality settings down to "Low" instead of "High" or "Auto" this seriously reduces bandwidth usage by like 90% compared to high and definitely made a big difference to my games (had stutters all the time before, smooth-sailing afterwards).

ask them to turn the quality settings down to "Low" instead of "High" or "Auto" this seriously reduces bandwidth usage by like 90% compared to high and definitely made a big difference to my games

I do something similar to this, i go to the power options of the pc/laptops that use wifi and i turn down the Wireless Adapter Settings to the lowest. I think it works since i still have playable connections even though my family is using wifi.

Ok, for about a two or three weeks now my matches lag like fuck, and I had no problem on netplay before...so anyone might have any solutions?

I have a few devices on my network, and I do indeed use Wireless, but none of this was ever a problem before.

Ok, for about a two or three weeks now my matches lag like fuck, and I had no problem on netplay before...so anyone might have any solutions?

I have a few devices on my network, and I do indeed use Wireless, but none of this was ever a problem before.

somebody could be fucking around on your wireless if it isn't secure. Try speedtest.net and pingtest.net and see what you get.

Hmm... U could go into your router and set your ps3 to the most optimizer settings.... if u actually consider this PM me and i can walk u through it if u dont know how.

Pretty sure it is, I have a WP2 setup, and it was doing fine.

It says my Ping is 475ms, my Download speed is 1.10mbps, and my upload speed is 0.29mbps

So is that good or what?

Edited by BlackYakuzu94

If you can, try comparing your speedtest.net result on a wired computer, then try again on a wireless computer. That'll let you see if it makes a big diff or not.

Pretty sure it is, I have a WP2 setup, and it was doing fine.

It says my Ping is 475ms, my Download speed is 1.10mbps, and my upload speed is 0.29mbps

So is that good or what?

That is actually a very disgusting speed tbh.... My upload speed is 20mbs and my download is 15mbs

It might be the amount of speed that is distributed out thought ur router.... Meaning

A.) if ur on wifi the more solid objects that separate your router to your system slow ur speed.

B.) If you are on wired regardless if ur main computer is on or not only a specific amount of bandwidth is allowed to your system.

C.) Opening your ports will also speed up your connection. When a PS3 system is connected to a server aka PSN. Certain things must go through your firewall which in turn slows down the process. If you set it so that these specific "Ports" (Data of a specific type) can pass through your firewall freely then it will speed up your gaming experience.

I offer to make your ps3 system to have priority over all other things connected to your router. Meaning that instead of your main Computer being the fastest thing on your router. Your PS3 is the fastest thing taking up the most bandwidth making everything else slow... But if ur an only child like myself thats irrelevant.

Edited by Akira-Shiro

I have maybe five objects on my network, including two laptops one of which I'm on right now, the other being a roomates. How do I make my PS3 the primary speed on my network? Or open more ports for it?

Ok, now I'm really pissed. I called my Internet provider, they're telling me my Internet is fine, I called PSN, they told me my net is fine. So for some goddamn reason whenever I want to play a ranked match or play with my friends, my shit always lags, and it's frustrating the shit out of me. Can someone please tell me what the hell is up before I break this disc and throw it out the window.

475ms is cause for serious concern, that's almost an entire .5 second of delay (way more than it sounds in writing). A normal "good" ping for online gaming is usually between 60-100ms. A great/amazing ping would be anything less than 60. And 16ms or less is literally local quality, which is extremely unlikely online lol. At 16ms or less your input would arrive on the same frame you input it on.

Not trying to bash or anything, but those speeds are pretty awful too. I'd be upset as well, try using a wired connection for best results if at all possible. This is my result for comparison. Note that the 15ms Ping is mainly due to the fact that the server is literally in the same city I live in lol.

2421244299.png

Try going into your router page and looking for something called "Quality of Service" (often just abbreviated as QoS). That's a service modern routers have that they use to prioritize certain devices on their network. (this is probably something that should be in the OP)

Never hurts to try resetting the router either.

Incidentally, how much are you paying for your internet per month?

p.s. Don't hate the disc! The disc is not at fault here :8/:

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

Quick question, how often should you reset the router for best quality without overdoing it?

2421250979.png

Here's mine. For more comparisons i guess.

Quick question, how often should you reset the router for best quality without overdoing it?

Never, it's not something you should "need" to do regularly, but it does often help resolving connectivity issues.

Your conn looks fine.

EDIT: Here's a screen cap of my QoS section/settings

qossc.jpg

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

Darn, i have a belkin so i'm gonna have to look into that. Thx for the insight. Hopefully it fixes the minor things that happens during our matches.

Darn, i have a belkin so i'm gonna have to look into that. Thx for the insight. Hopefully it fixes the minor things that happens during our matches.

It's pretty universal to most modern'ish routers, not just a Linksys thing lol :)