Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shinquickman

[+R] May: General Discussion

Hello May forums,

I'm currently trying to pick up May as a secondary character and practiced some of her AC combos yesterday and today (don't have ACR), just to get a feeling for her charge moves.

Here's a combo I've been having problems with:

dash 5K 5S 2D FBSHD dash 5S 5H SVD etc.

The part that gives me a headache is sweep into FB dolphin.

I've tried it on Jam and Axl so far. On Jam it's actually fairly easy and I could do it pretty consistently after some tries because Jam is so thin that the dolphin doesn't hit immediately after the sweep, which gives me enough time to input the FB. On Axl however the dolphin connects practically as soon as it comes out which leaves me with no room to input the FB. I've gotten it maybe once out of 100 tries.

Any input/timing tips or tricks? Am I doing something else wrong? Or is it just a matter of "man it up"?

gotta learn to FB as soon as possible. When it's TIGHT, the timing is the same on everyone.

Hello May forums,

I'm currently trying to pick up May as a secondary character and practiced some of her AC combos yesterday and today (don't have ACR), just to get a feeling for her charge moves.

Here's a combo I've been having problems with:

dash 5K 5S 2D FBSHD dash 5S 5H SVD etc.

The part that gives me a headache is sweep into FB dolphin.

I've tried it on Jam and Axl so far. On Jam it's actually fairly easy and I could do it pretty consistently after some tries because Jam is so thin that the dolphin doesn't hit immediately after the sweep, which gives me enough time to input the FB. On Axl however the dolphin connects practically as soon as it comes out which leaves me with no room to input the FB. I've gotten it maybe once out of 100 tries.

Any input/timing tips or tricks? Am I doing something else wrong? Or is it just a matter of "man it up"?

I never have gotten down the proper timing for the FB, so my standard input is:

[4] 6+H+D, 5, 6+H+D

(in other words, mash 6+H+D twice)

This input involves a bunch of game mechanic rules stepping over each other to get what I want:

Part 1: 5D takes priority over 6H, Burst (H+D) takes priority over D, special attacks (H.HD) take priority over Burst (and basic attacks), [4]6D is invalid/ignored = interpreted as [4]6H

Part 2. Burst cannot happen mid-attack (H.HD), 56H is invalid/ignored, FB window is 5F after H.HD starts, input buffer window is 5F or so (i.e. 56D can be blindly dialed in a few frames before it is "allowed" and it will happen as soon as it can) = interpreted as 56D at first possible chance.

Part 2b. The earliest that 56D can physically happen is 2F after H.HD starts, or 3F (out of 5) before it's allowed and still happen. This means the second 6+H+D can never happen "too soon" -- the faster you can input the second 6+H+D, the better.

Timeline diagram of the fastest input:

Frame:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ...  (forward time is left to right)

[4]6H+D  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  A ...  (S = H.HD startup frames, A = H.HD active frames)

w  w  w  w ...  (w = FB window, from frame data)

56H+D          g  g  g  g  g            (g = input buffer grace period; early input 56H+D)

S  A  A  A ...  (S = FB startup, A = FB active)

FB occurs because g overlaps w
End result: autopilot-mash command for FB. P.S. as a contrast/reference, timeline diagram of what I think you're doing:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

Frame: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

[4]6H  S S S S S S S S A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A ...

w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w

56D                          g g g g g

S A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A ...

^^^^^this gap is killing you

Takeaway lessons:

• 56D input can be given a few frames ahead of time (don't wait to confirm on anything).
  • FB input (56D) is never too soon (don't wait at all).
  • 6+H+D if you don't want to think about which button when (spazzy input ftw).

From combo thread:

How can i cancel 6H to V-dolphin ??

You use the 6HS hitstop in order to achieve this. Press 6HS and very quickly down charge. The cancel into vertical dolphin is very late after 6HS hits. If done correctly you don't need to charge at all, but to practice you can do fully charged 6[[HS]] and then move onto a semi charged 6[HS]. Eventually you'll be able to do a no charge 6HS into vertical dolphin.

So now after months of releasing of the game...What is your impression about new May ?? and what is her worst match ups ??

Like 95% of my playing has been in training mode so most of this is theorycrafting on my part. All of this is relative to AC matchups.

Improved Matchups:

Eddie/Pot/Venom?/Slayer/TE?

Worse Matchups:

Ky/Zappa/Faust/ABA/Chipp/Dizzy

bunch of concise notes

Wow, only just now realized you posted this, haha. Thanks a lot, will try this out next time I get the chance.

is 6H (before active frames) only cancelled by specials??..i mean can i use it like feint ??

Both 6[HS] and 6[P] can be feinted with any special moves. In order to special cancel feint into commands on the same charged button you have to negative edge the input.

If I want to learn may are there any universal combos I could learn first? I searched a little in the combo thread and almost all her stuff is character specific.

If I want to learn may are there any universal combos I could learn first? I searched a little in the combo thread and almost all her stuff is character specific.

Well the only stuff that works on everyone are unoptimal combos, and her corner combos, generally, depend on weight class.

Here are simple/unoptimal combos that will work on everyone:

OHK > 5SH > S-VD

OHK > 6[HS] > S-VD

6[[HS]] > OHK > 5SH > S-VD

6[[HS]] > HS-VD FRC > jH > land > jH > j623S (Everyone but RO/KY/JO. Hard on ZA/KL)

6[[HS]] > HS-VD FRC > jH > 6HS > HS-VD (Everyone but JO. Hard on ZA/KL)

j2H > 2P > 2D > HS-HD FB > 6[P] > HS-HD

5KS > 2D > HS-HD FB > 6[P] > HS-HD

5H CH > Dash 5H > 2D > HS-HD FB > 6[P] > HS-HD (will only work on opponent that doesn't shake well and depends on range)

Corner throw > 63214HS > HS-HD

236236S > Dash 5SH > S-VD

Hey guys, I posted this in the general FAQ thread in the main forum because I figured more people would see it, but no answer so far.

May player here. Just have a quick question about her 6P cancel. I'm having a lot of trouble in combos trying to cancel from only 6P after a FB HS-HD which is important in her bnb against lightweights.

I've never had an issue with cancelling from 5S > 6P or 5SH because both those cancels give adequate time to charge. Am I missing something with the 6P cancel?

Any insight or help is appreciated.

There isn't anything special about doing the 6[P] into horizontal dolphins. It works the same as 6[HS] > Vertical dolphins. Just check a few posts up for my explaination on 6HS.

I once saw Kedako do a corner combo that was like four 6Ps for 25 meter, anyone know how that was done? So far I can only do the scrub version with two.