Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Killerwatt

Improving tips?

If they are mashing out of your JH, 5K's, use MSJH instead. They can still mash out, but it'll be harder. I don't think CH changes the stagger on JH, but I'm not positive. MSJH and MSDJH each have stronger staggers then JH, with MSDJH being the strongest.

Mist Stance Dash Jack Hound If you don't know that MistCancels get faster at higher levels and what the different acronyms are, then maybe I'm failing as Johnny mod. :I: I should probably think about getting around to writing some sort of guide or faq.

I'm not sure if getting a CH with JH increases the stagger or not.. but what I can tell you is that (though I'm sure you already know, it bears reiteration just in case) there are three types of Jackhound:

1. Regular Jackhound- 214D Least number of stagger frames

2. Mist Stance Jackhound(MSJH)- 236K/S/P > 214D Noticeably more frames of stagger than regular Jackhound

3. Mist Stance Dash Jackhound(MSDJH)- 236K/S/P > 66214D Has the most stagger frames, but is by far the most difficult to pull off.

The more stagger time they are in, the more time you have to do whatever followup you like. Make sure your timing on the followup is pretty tight, you can act the moment Johnny sheathes the sword and that last little blue/white flash appears between the handle and the scabbard as the blade disappears.

Sorry if I told you a lot of stuff you already know, just trying to be thorough with my responses.

Edit> 4r5 beat me to it by a longshot. Sorry about posting the same stuff so long after XD That's what I get for working while I type up responses. Took me several breaks between working to get it done, so it took a while.

4r5> I think you're doing a fine job of being the Johnny forum mod. Johnny's forum is one of the best in my opinion. Easy access to info, nice and organized threads for the most part, and you're even going so far as to write and type up different strats, combos, and the specific info on a lot of JO's moves. Just really *really* helpful stuff in general. My improvement with Johnny is, in no small part, due to your posts and the info you've provided. Lemme take this opportunity to say *thanks* for all your work, I know you're busy with other things all the time, but I'm sure everybody appreciates the time you *do* devote to helping us out.

If you don't know that MistCancels get faster at higher levels and what the different acronyms are, then maybe I'm failing as Johnny mod. :I: I should probably think about getting around to writing some sort of guide or faq.

actually, this is just general ignorance among gg players. i've come across many people (some of which were even much better than me) who didn't even know what johnny's coins do :psyduck:.

I didn't know Johnny could do Jackhound out of MSD. What the fuck have I been doing this whole time? Good games everyone. At least now I've got a better idea on what to practice (when I decide to pull my TV out of my closet..)! The more you know.

aw, thanks for your thanks. still thinking about writing a guide. having one would reduce the time I spend answering questions, latter. hell, I've probably have written enough answers to compile them all in to a guide. I should search the forum for all the posts I've made...

It's not your fault :o I'm still relatively new with Johnny, probably less than a year when I started to play him seriously. I think the reason why not many people know this is because most just do JH by itself, not out of MS. Yeah, ignorance D:

Most people that come from slash should me using mist stance jackhound as they already know what the mist stance does. 4r5: this forum is a REAL mess, basics are scattered, combos are often too detailed to read(like the LONG list of throw combos RedBeard started out with). Basic combos are missing, tension usage is missing, coin usage seems to be missing and we got a real big list of mist setups which all require you to pull shenanigans and lose both tension and coins. Its really bad here.

Basic combos are missing, tension usage is missing, coin usage seems to be missing and we got a real big list of mist setups which all require you to pull shenanigans and lose both tension and coins. Its really bad here.

lol wut? you're acting like this is still slash and johnny can still do damage without "wasting" countless amounts of tension and coins.

though, let me say this. i've used this forum as a resource since i first started playing ac (march of this year) and it's helped me at every step of the way. sure, some threads are somewhat redundant and some information is notably absent or hard to find, but compare this to the other forums here. at least we have an active mod who actually still plays the game and still documents most of the basics. though i think eventually it would be a good idea to replace the structure left by redbeard (dustloop wiki anyone? :v:), i also think that given how he's the only consistent contributor to this board, 4r5 has done a great job.

do we need more mods? probably. would it be nice to have a comprehensive guide to every aspect of the game from a jo mains' perspective? definitely. will we get any one of these things anytime soon? probably not :gonk:. for now, i have questions and 4r5 has answers.

reaVer, I agree with you. (except about the mist setups; they're just bad in AC) The forum could be better. Donutholes, or anyone else new, should of been able to find some sort of sticky that details basic Johnny information. As it is, if you don't ask questions, it's hard to get anything out of the forum. People should be able come in and find what they're looking for (that is, if they even know what to look for) without having to wait for other people to answer.

anyways, the thread is getting off topic, lets take the talk to over here, http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3030

Okay so possible problem. I know that doing JH from MF stance and during MF dash are supposed to increase the time they're staggering for, but when I tried it on training, I don't think I saw a difference. I set the stagger to lvl 1 or something, but it honestly looked like it did nothing. I'm hoping it's not because I have the wii version. I might have to get it for ps2 if that's the case (and then after that a stick for it).

Okay so possible problem. I know that doing JH from MF stance and during MF dash are supposed to increase the time they're staggering for, but when I tried it on training, I don't think I saw a difference. I set the stagger to lvl 1 or something, but it honestly looked like it did nothing.

I'm hoping it's not because I have the wii version. I might have to get it for ps2 if that's the case (and then after that a stick for it).

I feel the same way; would be great if someone could explain the difference for us.

(You have the Wii version of AC? I hope to high heaven you have a stick, or a classic controller lol)

Set slip recovery to lv2. Then do MSJH, K and you will see that it combos. Now do JH, K and you'll see that it won't combo.

Alright, bad news guys. Even at max range for me, MSJH cannot be followed by K. The only way for me to link it is to use MSDJH, which is ungodly painful to pull off. Since you all say that it should connect, I can only conclude right now that it's because of the wii version. Better start practicing D: (And yes, Killerwatt, I grabbed that Hori fighting stick for the Wii when I got the chance. I played it a bit using the gc controller, and it was ugly)

I have a problem with my MCing. I can't keep a constant rushdown (especially at lvl2&3) because I always seem to release my MF before I can cancel. I know that I would probably have a better success rate it I was using stick instead of pad, and that might be the answer to my problem, but I'm kind of broke at the moment. If there are any pad users (HAHA!) with any tips, please help me.

On a basic setup __S__ P___H __K__ I just felt it was easiest on my thumb to use Slash MF, while holding down slash, just roll the rest of your thumb over heavy and release them at the same time. I also experimented with using the Kick one and rolling the SIDE of your thumb over Heavy. Works well if you have big fingers >.> PS, you're a houston player?, why havent I seen your ass :-p

I usually holding down kick and sliding to heavy. I guess I can give the other way a try. I just felt uncomfortable to me, but whatever. I not as moblie as I want to be cause I don't have a car. I want to hit up PlanetZero to get some Human comp (which I have none), but it is on the other side of town. I been looking for people in my area who play GGXXAC, but no luck.

A thing about GG, well most fighting games really, you cant really wait to see it happen, so much as you have to know it happened once you have done it. But to start out, just slow down, either using k or s, just slowly do the motion, and hold the MF, scoot your finger over to heavy. Get a rhythm going. Once you can do it comfortably a good ten/twenty/thirty time in a row, however long it takes, speed it up. Keep going til you barely notice him enter MF stance. I'm always looking for people to play, especially right now cuz I'm wanting to practice for a tourney this weekend, I live right by the galleria at the moment (plan to move a lil further west down westhiemer or richmond in a month or two) and would be up for some games most anytime, I can bring some friends but most of em are crappy :p. You should totally try to make it to regionals this weekend. Depending on where you are I may even be able to give you a lift.

While I guess I got some training to do. Thanks for the advice! I have not one person to play against, and it kills me. I play my brothers every blue moon, but they're not into fighters. I stay off Beltway 8 on N Bammel, across the street from Klein Forest High School. What regionals is going on this weekend!? Where?! I need to know!!!

mist cancelling on pad is actually pretty easy once you just learn the motion for it. like faulty said, use slash mf instead of kick. it makes it much easier that way. also, press hs (circle) twice for each mist cancel. worst case scenario, you throw out a 5h and mist cancel that.

I tried out using S MCing instead of K, and I see how it can be easier. I just have to keep at it. And also, I feel that when I'm doing a blockstring and it's time for me to MC, I input my string fast, which means I may buffer my MC in too fast. Is that possible? Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out the next time I'm training.

i use the trigger button r2 as hs and r1 as d. the problem i had with using o as hs is that theres not enough space and often feel cramped when playing for long duration.

i use the trigger button r2 as hs and r1 as d. the problem i had with using o as hs is that theres not enough space and often feel cramped when playing for long duration.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I tried to use one of the shoulder buttons, but my MCing wasn't as smooth.

watt and I were just playing last night and I took a look at his mist cancels in practice mode. I told him to do the cancels faster, and he immediately started whooping my ass once he starts MCing his 6k, i'll have to pray to hit him with my missiles...