Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AchedSphinx

[CSE] Lambda Tips & Tricks

A thread detailing various tips and tricks I have found during my plays with Lambda.

Combos

• 4B, 2 hit, is guaranteed to hit if the starter is a Fatal Counter (i.e Calamity, Crescent Saber, Gravity Seed)
  • 4B, 2 hit, gets a bonus if both hits connect in a combo (if 1st attack hits, 2nd attack's P2 becomes 100).
  • If the opponent is crouching, both hits of 4B will connect.
  • Counter hit 236C, midscreen, 236D is guaranteed to hit without the need of a micro dash.
  • 236D will hit, midscreen, if Gravity seed FC is the starter. i.e FC Gravity > 236C > 236D(doesn't work on Ragna and Tager).
  • Most gravity corner combos can be done midscreen as well.
  • If 6DD connects a fullscreen away, can IAD forward to connect air drives.
  • For any gravity corner combo, 5C[1], guarantees the follow-up ender...5C[8] > 4B[2] > 2DD > 2147D > 6DD.
  • 4D/6D can follow up with 236C if spaced right on aerial opponents.
  • 6C can replace 5C outright in some combos.
  • For higher damage corner combos, the fewer the 5C hits, the better.
  • For awkward corner combos, 6A > 6C is an effective way to complete it.
  • For 236B corner hits, dashing 5B is a good way to connect a combo.
  • Can add 2-3 reps of Crescent Sabers at the end of corner combos to maximize damage.
  • To position the opponent onto the opposite side 5DD > 4DD > 236C mid-combo usually does the trick. i.e 5DD > 236B > RC > 5DD > 4DD > 236C.
  • If spaced properly, most midscreen gravity combos that reach the corner can add 236D to maximize the damage.
  • Can do 214D~C > 214D if 5C[1] is used and the starter is P1 80+
  • If interested in using gold bursts to maximize damage, gravity seed, 214D~C, 236C, 236D, calamity sword, legacy edge are the only abilities with enough untech time to allow gold burst to be used.
  • Use Rapid Cancels only if you know the following combo will do at least 2000 more damage.
  • Calamity Sword is a good combo ender. It's best use is if the opponent will die from it or if you want them guaranteed in the corner.
  • The first three hits of [CH] 3C can't be emergency teched, thus can be followed up with 236D.
  • For ground combos, ending with 3C > 236D can punish people who don't tech right away.
  • Legacy Edge can be used mid-combo to push the opponent to the corner.
  • 6C airhit can be comboed into 236A > 214A.
  • 2B can be used after 236B on any character in the corner.

Okizeme
  • Sickle Storm oki allows easy mix-up.
  • Legacy Edge can be used as oki mix-up.
  • 3C > 236D is a good way to force oki.
  • 2B can be used as a tech punish, followed up with 2B > 2C > air stuff.
  • 214D can be used as a tech punish, can easily be followed up.

Mix-ups
  • For overheads, j.B/j.C is preferable.
  • j.214D~C can be used for mix-up and delay fall speed.
  • Doing an empty jump during sickle storm oki is an effective mix-up.
  • A good route for effective mix-up would be 236D oki, empty jump, j.C, j.214D~C...After the j.214D~C you have endless options to break the opponents guard and one of the reasons Lambda becomes scary. Forward air dash j.B > j.C, 2B,ground throw, j.214D, or you can retreat if you think they'll DP.
  • If interested in doing an astral in style do sickle oki, empty jump, j.C, j.214D~C, land and perform the astral. This probably has the highest chance of success as opposed to 236A.
  • For some tricky mix-up, consider RC'ing 4B, the first hit. Quite effective for a high/low.
  • Only the first hit of j.2C is overhead, if air dashing and doing j.2C and the opponents blocks it high, you can take advantage of that by following up with j.B while they crouch.
  • While doing j.2C you can also catch them off guard, or mashing, by going j.2C > 2B

Misc.

5C, whiff, can follow up with 4B or 3C.

5C whiff follow-ups will auto-correct if the opponent jumps over. i.e the follow up will hit where the opponent is.
5C, whiff, can follow up with 6C.
If your opponent has been conditioned right, 236A can be used to punish grabs with gravity seed.
Lambda's air grab has a larger hitbox than it appears (it's one of the largest in the game).
Can do dashing 2B/2A on opponent wake-up to cross under.
236C isn't safe on block. If used, don't try to retreat, blocking is safer.
236C can be used as an air unblockable if the opponent has a tendency to jump without barrier.
Remember, Lambda is a defense/zoning/spacing character, avoid close-range as much as possible.
Try not to be predictable.
Lambda's astral can be used as a reversal.
Against opponents without effective projectiles, 214D~C is a good way to burn primers.
If an opponent has one prime, don't gun for it with 236C, because if they barrier block Lambda is in a bad position. 214D, 214D~C is safer.
Calamity sword get blocked? If you have the heat, Rapid Cancel, and punish your opponent. For safer Calamity Swords, have 100 heat.
Counter-assault is an effective way to escape an opponent's blockstring. Lambda's CA can be low-profiled and it doesn't pushback much. Use it wisely.
Try using barrier block to push your opponent back. Note barrier block is -1 on block.
After 236C ender in the corner follow up with 236B, whiff, 4B[2] for an interesting mix-up. Can also do 3C as well.
In some situations, 4B can be used as an anti-air.

Burst Punishes

[*] If you do 2DD > j.2C in a combo, it can be burst safe by holding back while doing j.2C. If done late enough, the opponent's bursts lets you fall to the ground and block the burst.

[*]236B's recovery, if holding back, allows you to punish a burst. For instance 5DD > 236B. It depends on how quick they react to the burst.

[*]If the round is near completion, as in you need a combo to win, and the opponent has a burst, go for the safe alternative instead of close range 5C or 236C. End the match when you can.

[*]Practical burst punishes are 3C, 6C, and 4B[2], where you can RC on reaction.

[*]Depending on the spacing, the best ways to punish a burst would be 5DD > 236C > stuff. Or 2DD > 214A. It's very spacing dependent on how you want to punish it.

[*]The safest way to punish is a simple air drive combo, however it doesn't do as much damage if Lambda's stronger normals and specials aren't used.

Playstyle

[*]Can use 2B to bait DPs; your 2B is meant to meaty the opponent (if they blocked) while at the same time being at the right distance to low profile their DP attempt.

[*]Can use Gravity seed to punish DPs.

[*]Calamity Sword can be used in blockstring openings (reversal).

[*]For low attacks, 2B is preferable.

[*]5A can be used as an effective anti-air into a decent combo.

[*]Gravity Seed can be used in midscreen combos to force opponents to the corner.

[*]214D~C, an effective spacing tool, can force opponents into positions they'd rather not be in.

[*]If interested in close-range, make sure sickle storm oki is in effect, and always have an escape plan. i.e jump cancelable moves

[*]Rapid cancels can also be used to create burst-safe combos your opponent isn't expecting.

[*]Lambda often does IAD back, which can become heavily predictable. You can catch your opponent off guard if you IAD forward grab as they're trying to catch you.

[*]Use Lambda's backdash, it is one of the best in the game. Don't get too predictable though because it can get punished.

[*]Use Lambda's 4B[2] often, it's the fastest overhead in the game. In blockstrings, you can space it so only the 4B[2] hits. i.e 5C[1] > 4B[2]. Takes practice.

[*]In a few cases, j.2DD is better than 5D for keeping opponents away.

[*]Consider canceling the 5D/4D follow-up into lows or highs. i.e 5D > 4D or 5D > 236B.

[*]If you do sickle storm in the corner, consider 4D > 4B mix-up.

[*]After an opponent techs your j.214D combo ender, follow-up with either 6D or 214D, to safely zone. 236D~C can be easily punished if you become predictable with it.

[*]Legacy Edge, 236236D, can be used to punish bad bursts.

[*]214D can punish bursts if 3C is used at max range.

[*]236D can punish bursts if 3C is used at max range.

Those are the tips and tricks I can think of at the moment. Will add more as they come, or if others have more I will add those. If you have character specific tips & tricks that can be good as well.

Edit: Added 13 more tips/tricks. Let me know if any don't really work or shouldn't be considered a tip/trick.

Edit Two: Added 16 more tips/tricks.

Edit Three: Added 4 more tips/tricks.

Edit Four: Added 7 more tips/tricks and split up misc and playstyle.

Edit Five: Added 3 more tips/tricks.

Edit Six: Added 7 more tips/tricks.

I like this a lot. I added a bit more detail to some of those tips for clarification, but this is good stuff.

Could you please elaborate on how to use 2B to bait DPs though?

Your 2B is meant to meaty the opponent (if they blocked) while at the same time being at the right distance to low profile their DP attempt. Most characters can do this (I know Litchi and Hakumen can do it and any character with a decent low hurtbox on one of their moves could pull it off).

I like this a lot. I added a bit more detail to some of those tips for clarification, but this is good stuff.

Could you please elaborate on how to use 2B to bait DPs though?

Here's how I do it. If they're knocked down and have a DP, do 2B as they're recovering, and then wait for the DP. They can't really tell if you're commiting to an attack of a 2B. So it's fairly good to bait DPs. 2A might work, but it recovers too fast imo, 2B has a good enough recovery that they'll probably use a DP.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation, you two. I personally don't do that very often myself, but I may try and implement that into my game more.

Does that also work on ID? For Hakumen you can do 2B, but it works against Makoto. Inferno Divider's hitbox is way bigger so you'll get hit anyway (as Hakumen).

It would be nice if these tips were grouped into similar categories.

Here's how I do it. If they're knocked down and have a DP, do 2B as they're recovering, and then wait for the DP. They can't really tell if you're commiting to an attack of a 2B. So it's fairly good to bait DPs. 2A might work, but it recovers too fast imo, 2B has a good enough recovery that they'll probably use a DP.

2A actually has more recovery than 2B. It has more frames overall than 2B as well. 2B is also easier to combo from. 2B is better for oki overall.

Does that also work on ID? For Hakumen you can do 2B, but it works against Makoto. Inferno Divider's hitbox is way bigger so you'll get hit anyway (as Hakumen).

No. ID is too fast. Lambda doesn't have a way to meaty Ragna with a normal and be safe from ID. Hence 236D oki is the way to go against him unless you feel like playing mindgames with him.

Oooooh. here is some:

In the corner, 6C airhit can be comboed into 236A>214A

2B can be used after 236B on any character in corner (For the combo X>236B>2B>2C>2147D>5Cx1>6C>236D>214D~C>ect)

66DD can be comboed from 236B CH midscreen against Tager without RC

I like this thread.

[*]Remember, Lambda is a defense/zoning/spacing character, avoid close-range as much as possible.

Oops lol no wonder I usually lose to other Lambda players. Huehue

Also, j.B and j.C are good overheads but j.2C also can also lead into big damage from close range crescent mixup iirc. It's my overhead of choice.

It would be nice if these tips were grouped into similar categories.

Will get to it soon!

2A actually has more recovery than 2B. It has more frames overall than 2B as well. 2B is also easier to combo from. 2B is better for oki overall.

I got a bit confused with my wording. But yes, 2B is much better.

No. ID is too fast. Lambda doesn't have a way to meaty Ragna with a normal and be safe from ID. Hence 236D oki is the way to go against him unless you feel like playing mindgames with him.

Consider 2B on his recovery and bait it that way. Well, it's what I do, if I remember.

I like this thread.

Also, j.B and j.C are good overheads but j.2C also can also lead into big damage from close range crescent mixup iirc. It's my overhead of choice.

j.2C is fine, but it's really slow. 15F start up, j.C also has a longer horizontal hitbox and it's faster which is why it's recommended. I see j.2C like doing a 5C, I mean sometimes it works, but often times it doesn't. If you have meter though and want to do a fast overhead, 2147D > RC, is ridiculously good in the corner. I use it when I spent gravity.

Will get to it soon!

Got you covered~

I'm gonna make a new okizeme video too (Sickle, Cresent etc.) in the next couple of days, so post up everything you know guys and I'll include the best stuff.

l like this a lot, great idea. l had better get to studying it hehehe...

Just noticed a couple of points. In addition to 4B and 3C, 5C on whiff cancels into 6C as well. The follow-ups will auto correct (so if someone jumps over a whiffed 5C, then 4B, 3C, and 6C will flip Lambda around and aim at the opponent)

Lambda's air throw is tied for the 2 largest air throw range. Tager's number 1 and Lambda is tied with Mu's. Just to be more precise about it.

And I don't know why but if Noel is in the corner and in the air, the 2nd attack of 6DD won't touch her if she blocks the first one. It just whiffs leaving you standing there in recovery. Haven't noticed that happening with any other character.

Edit: The Noel thing holds true for Jin as well.

Got you covered~

I'm gonna make a new okizeme video too (Sickle, Cresent etc.) in the next couple of days, so post up everything you know guys and I'll include the best stuff.

Yeah, good job, I really couldn't figure out how to separate it like that. Thanks.

Just noticed a couple of points. In addition to 4B and 3C, 5C on whiff cancels into 6C as well. The follow-ups will auto correct (so if someone jumps over a whiffed 5C, then 4B, 3C, and 6C will flip Lambda around and aim at the opponent)

Lambda's air throw is tied for the 2 largest air throw range. Tager's number 1 and Lambda is tied with Mu's. Just to be more precise about it.

And I don't know why but if Noel is in the corner and in the air, the 2nd attack of 6DD won't touch her if she blocks the first one. It just whiffs leaving you standing there in recovery. Haven't noticed that happening with any other character.

Edit: The Noel thing holds true for Jin as well.

Could do some character specific tips/tricks, though I'm not sure if it'd be better placed in the match-up thread.

Hello Dustloop I'm fairly new here [and this is the first thread/forum I've ever been in so bear with me please], but I'd like to think that have quite a bit of experience with Lambda.

Now that that's out of the way I have a few tricks and combos I'd like to share with you all.

Sickle Storm in the corner into 4D and then 4B is a good way to trick your opponent into a combo [it's because they're right next to the corner so they can't see 4D coming] [NOTE, this attack will only work on crouching opponents], it can also be used at mid-screen, although you will most likely have better options then that.

Another trick is to use a fully charged Spike Chaser and either 6D or 2D to take off a few primers [spike chaser covers the ground while 6D or 2D stops them if they jump, but it requires some practice and timing to know what situation calls for what attack].

Also I've noticed that 6C can eat most of Tagers super armor attacks [particularly Sledge Hammer and 2D], but it requires some spacing and you may need to use Spike Chaser [fully charged] to cover yourself, 3C and 2C also works on Sledge Hammer and 2D but it's a little more risky [but unlike with 6C you can get a combo off of them without using a rapid].

And this may sound foolish but I think 4B can be used as a very situation anti air [but the only time it should only be used as such is either when the opponent is directly above you or they're air dashing towards you and you know 6A and 2C won't catch them].

And here's a few combos,

Sickle Storm into 5C then Gravity Seed followed by 2B 4B then 6D 2D J.D J.2D and then Crescent Saber [there are many variations of this attack and add on's so don't be afraid to experiment, also using Sickle Storm[~C] is optional].

Also Sickle Storm[~c] into 236B then 2B 2C j.C j.2C then J.D J.2D and then Crescent Saber [you can also use 236C instead of 236B for more damage, but it won't work on Tager] [i learned this combo from watching Noel fight and like with the previous combo you can experiment with it].

Well....that's all I have for now, and I hope some people will get some use out of all of this.

Also please tell me if there is anyway I can improve these tricks/combos, thank you.

OOOOH here is a fun one:

236B(CH)>236B can be done in the corner. Its not that useful, but its perfect for novelty combos.

Could do some character specific tips/tricks, though I'm not sure if it'd be better placed in the match-up thread.

Either way is fine. If you do decide to post character specific stuff here, Toan or myself can just move it to the relevant thread later anyway.

2B can be used after 236B on any character in corner (For the combo X>236B>2B>2C>2147D>5Cx1>6C>236D>214D~C>ect)

The last 4-6 hits of 2C will whiff on the majority of the cast, so you'll have to cancel it early if you do choose to use this route.

In the corner, 6C airhit can be comboed into 236A>214A

66DD can be comboed from 236B CH midscreen against Tager without RC

236B(CH)>236B can be done in the corner. Its not that useful, but its perfect for novelty combos.

Can we try and stick to match viable information please? I'd like to keep this discussion focused on practical tools you'd use in a real match, so if you or anyone else has any combo video material posted I'd prefer it if it was posted in the combo thread.

I like this thread.

Ignore my previous comment. I read that wrong. If under sickle storm the start-up doesn't matter lol. And Lambda vs Lambda doesn't really follow her own metric/playstyle. I'd love to say it's like flipping a coin and hoping it comes up tails though :P

I'm talking to achedsphinx lol

I got you bro. It has been updated.

Either way is fine. If you do decide to post character specific stuff here, Toan or myself can just move it to the relevant thread later anyway.

I just have this feeling I'll run out of room to add so many character specific things. Though if I did do it, I'd just lump them into a single category since there aren't many.

Here is a more useful little trick:

if your opponent blocks 2C, do 7>j.2DD>j.214D~C>Falling j.5C

Its great to catch people off guard with this.

I'm not sure if this is a good trick but...

Crescent Saber[~c] followed by another Crescent Saber can be used as a fake out of sorts [it can be used in block strings to confuse your opponent into a combo with a rapid or you can follow up the attack with Sickle Storm and thus getting them into another block string] [you can also use it against Hakumen when he counters in a block string so said counter will wiff and he'll take the hit], also if you do it close to the ground you can loop it or instead of using Crescent Saber you can use 2B or 3C for a high low mix up [although I'm pretty sure most people already do something close to this].

I'm not sure if this is a good trick but...

Crescent Saber[~c] followed by another Crescent Saber can be used as a fake out of sorts [it can be used in block strings to confuse your opponent into a combo with a rapid or you can follow up the attack with Sickle Storm and thus getting them into another block string] [you can also use it against Hakumen when he counters in a block string so said counter will wiff and he'll take the hit], also if you do it close to the ground you can loop it or instead of using Crescent Saber you can use 2B or 3C for a high low mix up [although I'm pretty sure most people already do something close to this].

Yes you can do that, but the typical inclination is that if Lambda does Crescent Saber, she will attack high, and if she does the fake out she must attack low for it succeed. An interesting way to go about it is Crescent Saber cancel, air dash j.C, Crescent Saber. I've seen plenty of people get mix-up off Crescent Saber cancel into another Crescent Saber.