Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko Gameplay Discussion

There is reason to think he's weak, it's just not as bad as everyone, including me, says it is. But the player means way more than the character. Kubo is at a greater level than most Persona players anywhere, so it doesn't matter who he chooses to use. You can just see that he has control 90% of the time. If/when he runs into someone else who is like that using anyone not Akihiko, that's the only time we can judge.

Of course we can never tell that either, if another is as good as Kubo in a player sense, so it's just a long roundabout loop that leads back to people complaining again.

Kubo is great.. but you think he is so drastically outplaying the best in the world? Doesn't make sense imo

Now dumb the playing field down to newb and not kubo aka common ground and aki starts to struggle. But Aki in hands of pro lvl is close to unmatched which i noticed long b4 i played the game the first time

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18728082

Video uploaded a few days ago detailing Akihiko combos. Nothing new it seems, just stuff from the Japanese wiki and BBS threads.

Combos are sorted by the starting move:

5a start:#00:00

5B start:#03:19

2B start:#04:10

A Kill Rush start:#05:27

Throw start:#05:54

SB Ducking start:#06:35

AoA start:#07:09

Corkscrew start:#07:57

5B(fc) start:#09:48

Lv3SBHook(fc) start:#14:11

Kubo is great.. but you think he is so drastically outplaying the best in the world? Doesn't make sense imo

Yes i do because he seems to be the best with this character. So he's beating a majority of his opponents.

The way I see Akihiko is he has very pronounced strengths and weaknesses. He has a great guessing game at close range and great damage output when he can get in, but also gets zoned out easily by characters like Liz, Yukiko and Teddie. Even his strength at close range is used to his disadvantage against Kanji.

Another thing about Akihiko is there are no real guaranteed ways to get in, despite this being a vital part of his game plan. And once you do get in you have to make sure you keep your opponent guessing.

I feel like playing Akihiko takes a lot of adapting and ad-libbing. His cyclone system gives you a lot of options, and it may seem overwhelming at first but learning how to use all of his moves is one of the keys to success. There are times when knowing how to do things like d weave after kill rush > hook to bait the DP and weave > SB cork from across the screen can steal you games.

The way I see it Akihiko's versatility is a double-edged sword: he has no moves that are good in most situations (like mitsuru's 5a), but it also gives him the opportunity to win games just by keeping your opponents guessing.

And you can always do funny stuff like DP>mahaziodyne>IK.

To make this long post relevant to ongoing discussion, I think Akihiko is a stron character, but he requires a lot of out thinking your opponent, which is probably why Kubo is so good with him.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18728082

Video uploaded a few days ago detailing Akihiko combos. Nothing new it seems, just stuff from the Japanese wiki and BBS threads.

Combos are sorted by the starting move:

5a start:#00:00

5B start:#03:19

2B start:#04:10

A Kill Rush start:#05:27

Throw start:#05:54

SB Ducking start:#06:35

AoA start:#07:09

Corkscrew start:#07:57

5B(fc) start:#09:48

Lv3SBHook(fc) start:#14:11

I <3 this video TY!

Hey fellow Aki players. I'm lookin' for some high level players to practice my setups and game plans.

Xbox live handle is P47CHW0RK. Hit me up. Bonus points if your from NC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ44wH-N4B8&feature=plcp Me playing on psn Im taking any and all criticism for my betterment also suggestions about any topic

At a glance, try to universally clean up your play. I think the most important problems, at a glance, are:

-When you're on offense, I can't feel your intent. To give an example of offense where I can very, very clearly understand what the goal is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-C0Fo0ScWg (Basically, make sure you are going for the true 50/50s Akihiko can accomplish: grab/grab bait, cross up/non cross up.

-Test your opponent's defensive tendencies, whenever you get in. Maybe at first, use a lot of duck grab, see if they tech it. If they don't, just do it over and over and over and over. If they do tech it, mix in duck > short hop jB for counter hitting the whiffed tech

-Maximize damage, a lot of hits seemed to be lower damage than necessary. Try to make sure every hit ends with either max damage, strongest meter gain (5AAA enders) or a knockdown. Make sure your fatal is at least 5k, every time it hits

I didn't watch too much, the video is pretty hard to watch because of the vertical. Even if the other guy's advice is irrelevant to what you asked, recording sideways is pretty important :d

Ah, forgot the most important part of any critique. Does anything I said make sense to you? Or was I misunderstanding your play?

Hey Dacid, I'm a very new player when it comes to fighting games, can you explain what you said there to a complete newbie? I'm like 33% win online and rank C- and have trouble with basic fundamentals. I want know how to keep pressure on people with that offense. Thanks.

can anyone off the top of their heads name the top Ahkiko players in Japan right now? I'm just trying to get a feel for who I should watch when learning this character?

Kubo. Definitely Kubo. Ogu is pretty good too.

Hey Dacid, I'm a very new player when it comes to fighting games, can you explain what you said there to a complete newbie? I'm like 33% win online and rank C- and have trouble with basic fundamentals. I want know how to keep pressure on people with that offense. Thanks.

Yeah man, absolutely.

Okay, I think the most important part about any pressure is to make sure whatever mix up you are using is not reactable. The most important things to know concerning this, for Akihiko, are:

1. Grab tech is not realistically reactable. That means whenever people tech a grab, they are -guessing-

2. Point blank All out Attack or point blank sweep is probably the absolute edge of reactability, and can serve as Akihiko's high/low mix up. For this reason, Kubo very frequently uses 5B(1hit)> AOA/Sweep as a mix up, with AOA/Sweep being one or the other. (This is even more effective if you have meter to make the AOA safe with One More Cancel!)

3. Cross up or not cross up is the final unreactable mix up. Dash jump jB or dash jump <air turn> jB is very very difficult to see, if executed properly. This one will take some practice, but try to learn how to dash jump, rising air turn and hit jB on the opposite side of your opponent. Then learn how to make dash jump jB look nearly identical, but land on the original side.

Once you know how to apply each of these, your mix up will become very scary. To recap, these are the structural mix up inputs you will be defaulting to.

Grab/Punish grab tech: 236D Grab/ 236D 2A+C (short hop) jB > confirm combo

High/Low: AOA or 5C or 2C/2AB

Cross up: dash jump jB/dash jump A+C jB

Cross up: (During Level 3 cyclone) 6CD 4A/4A (To clarify, 6CD during cyclone is EX Duck, which passes through the opponent)

Practice making these hard to see, and you will find people will have serious trouble blocking you. Also, recognize some options allow you to continue your pressure even if blocked! Let me know if this helps at all, or if I can help more.

Dacid I hope that post is referring to online only.

Playing offline this shit is not on the "absolute edge of reactability" lol.

Dacid I hope that post is referring to online only.

Playing offline this shit is not on the "absolute edge of reactability" lol.

then pray tell, why does it always hit people when Kubo does it

I don't know who you are, but why you would sideswipe me as I'm trying to help people is kind of beyond me

Akihiko's AOA has 27 frames of startup without the use of cyclone levels, and that's really slow!

There really is no reason to not hold down/back and wait for an overhead.

Could you point me to where Kubo did that mixup? Since I think it's just the timing of his high/lows that's making him hit, and the "unpredictability" of it, not the actual mixup.

Akihiko's AOA has 27 frames of startup without the use of cyclone levels, and that's really slow!

There really is no reason to not hold down/back and wait for an overhead.

Could you point me to where Kubo did that mixup? Since I think it's just the timing of his high/lows that's making him hit, and the "unpredictability" of it, not the actual mixup.

I guess it's a fair point that he almost always will throw that mix up with 50 meter (So it then doubles as a fatal-trap). He used the exact mentioned chokepoint on mix up night 1 through 3, and the effectivity of that specific chokepoint was probably less than 50%.

And you're definitely right, the cyclone AOA was hitting much more frequently on re-watch. Do we have the frames for how much faster it becomes?

Sorry, I'm not used to being "sidewiped" by people who legitimately know better than me. Please feel free to do so whenever you want, nice to meet you.

mix up night 1 through 3

I would love too see them, only saw the recent 5th. Got any links?

Do we have the frames for how much faster it becomes?

I faintly remember AOA frame data in here somewhere, though I might be wrong.

I only know that cyclone level 3 AOA is the fastest in the g

Sorry, I'm not used to being "sidewiped" by people who legitimately know better than me. Please feel free to do so whenever you want, nice to meet you.

No problem, nice to meet you too :)

Although the AoA is slow, 5 frames slower than the default fastest (Chie), Dacidbro was just explaining the gist of the most basic gameplan for Akihiko so the new players like MulattoMan or whoever have something to work with.

Since we're talking about AoA frame data, here ya go.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14789-Frame-Data-for-All-Out-Attacks

Do we have the frames for how much faster it becomes?

Lvl 0 -> 27F

Lvl 1 -> didn't test

Lvl 2 -> 24F

Lvl 3 -> 22F

Should be right.

More frame data for akihiko can be found here.

Lvl 0 -> 27F

Lvl 1 -> didn't test

Lvl 2 -> 24F

Lvl 3 -> 22F

Should be right.

More frame data for akihiko can be found here.

I knew all the rest, but thank you very much for the cyclone frames. :]