Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.X.I.S.

[P4A] Kanji Tatsumi Q&A Thread

Main_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

This will be frequently asked questions thread.

What is 236B~j.214B?

It's a notation telling you to cancel 236B mid air into j.214B since you can cancel 236B into that move.

As you may know j.214A/B is a sneaky unblockable attack that must be ducked to actually avoid.

How come you didn't add the SB version of 236A/B for most combos?

I am gonna say this here and now, for all these combos that end with 236A/B, you can skill boost them for added damage.

The skill boosted version adds a minimum of 300 damage but in most cased does around 600 damage.

Chair hit? what the heck!

Yes for Kanji's 236236A/B special the chair that was sent flying comes back and the great thing is you can One more cancel or burst and have it land

in the middle of your combo allowing you to extend it.

Where are those combos that lead to corner?

Because of the nature of Kanji's specials and the way his combos work, he can get good corner carry just by being himself.

If you really want corner just tack on j.214B in a combo.

Some damage information is missing.

As you may know I got this information from the jp wiki...um I can't really do anything about this until I get the game.

How to do 5A/2A > 5B > 2B?

This a quite troublesome for new Kanji players but it's valuable to know.

After landing a 5A/2A press 5B and before 5B becomes active quickly input 2B if done right it should come out and red beat.

Takes practice but once you get it down you can do stuff like 5A>5B>2B>236B~j.214B>OMC dash 2C>236C which nets out really good damage.

How to do 236236A/B > OMC, (2nd hit) 214214C/D?

It's harder than expected but totally worth it.

What you wanna do is input 214214C/D during the second hit of 236236B and OMC and rapidly press D right when Kanji touches the ground.

You can actually Input 66 really fast and OMC before as early as possible to air dash and input 214214C/D that way.

Either one works, do what works best for you!

I have a hard time doing j.214B > OMC, dash 2C and other OMB combos!

You just have to input your dash during the final hit of j.214B so when you OMC Kanji starts running already then press 2C after he does a short run, if you do it right you will scoop them in with 2C.

Now for OMB combos there is no landing recovery after a OMB so just hold any movement input after the OMB or attack as soon as you hit the ground.

I played a bit of the game a few days ago at a friend's and now I'm about to buy it for myself and main Kanji. I'm not the best at fighting games so I was wondering what you think would be a good place to start the learning process after I go through the tutorial and the challenge mode.

The game has more than a few universal mechanics so tutorial can be with the time to get introduced to this new fighter.

Challenge mode doesn't have a Ton of practical combos in the 30, but it does a pretty good job of teaching you various properties of your moves that you wouldn't find just messing around, so there is value there. Especially if you aren't the best at fighting games, challenge mode might get you to think of your attacks in different ways.

For more experienced or well researched players I might recommend skipping the Challenged for more practical combos, but I came into this game mostly blind and it helped me learn a lot about Kanji. Don't sweat it if you can't complete all of them either, just learn what there is to be learned.

I played a bit of the game a few days ago at a friend's and now I'm about to buy it for myself and main Kanji. I'm not the best at fighting games so I was wondering what you think would be a good place to start the learning process after I go through the tutorial and the challenge mode.

First, learn the speed & range of Kanji's normals & specials, then check the combo thread here. A lot of these combos are very advanced. Stick to what you can do for now. It takes time to learn some of the advanced stuff. His D normals are interesting, and his C normals are very powerful, but are kinda slow. Execution of these combos & moves is one part of being good.

The next step is to play a lot, and watch a few videos from top players. Having a game plan and understanding the match up against your opponent is the other part of being good.

It is important to have both down. It is the difference between landing a j.214B & eating a huge counter.

I had a questions

the other day, i asked somebody whether or not me or kanji was more ass at this game

i said I was, and after seeing Hima play recently i felt bad

however, after playing for a while, kanjis playstyle is really out there in terms of character fighting styles in fighting games

in terms of high level play, he isn't really good, and i mean, REALLY not good. Using Hima as an example, his Kanji destroys people, but what the hell is he really doing? He manages properly spaced grabs, gets hit confirms that only last a milli second... all that stuff can easily be avoided by people who KNOW how to avoid it.

This may seem like it makes no sense, but what Im trying to say is:

How viable is Kanji in this game? I mean Im ok with him, but Im not as good as I want to be right now. People who know what to do against him seem to raid through him in both high level and scrub play, and the fact that he gets most of his damage from one throw, or a big punish gets annoying

I'm thinking about not using him anymore because his style looks gdlk, but in reality the player really isn't doing much, and people are just being punished for a mistake that can be easily avoided

Maybe it's just me, and Kanji isn't as bad as I'm thinking. but from what I've experienced and seen in P4, I think otherwise

I'm not a Kanji player, but as a Yukiko player that keeps losing to Kanji's I'm in a little agreement. I do feel like they're not doing much, especially for the damage reward they get, where as I'm working my ass off to do little bits of a damage at a time. I'll do 3 combos to take off half his health, then he gets lucky with a punish and there goes half my health off one combo.

I had a questions

the other day, i asked somebody whether or not me or kanji was more ass at this game

i said I was, and after seeing Hima play recently i felt bad

however, after playing for a while, kanjis playstyle is really out there in terms of character fighting styles in fighting games

in terms of high level play, he isn't really good, and i mean, REALLY not good. Using Hima as an example, his Kanji destroys people, but what the hell is he really doing? He manages properly spaced grabs, gets hit confirms that only last a milli second... all that stuff can easily be avoided by people who KNOW how to avoid it.

This may seem like it makes no sense, but what Im trying to say is:

How viable is Kanji in this game? I mean Im ok with him, but Im not as good as I want to be right now. People who know what to do against him seem to raid through him in both high level and scrub play, and the fact that he gets most of his damage from one throw, or a big punish gets annoying

I'm thinking about not using him anymore because his style looks gdlk, but in reality the player really isn't doing much, and people are just being punished for a mistake that can be easily avoided

Maybe it's just me, and Kanji isn't as bad as I'm thinking. but from what I've experienced and seen in P4, I think otherwise

there is always "mistakes" included; for every character and every player. you land a grab => they did something wrong. you land an overhead => they did something wrong. you cross them up => they did something wrong. what I want to say is that it's the very basic design of every fighting game. some characters have mobility and crazy mixup but deal low damage, so they have to open the opponent up more often then other characters like kanji who deal good damgae but lack high/ low/ left / right mixups, but instead of needing to land 4 combos it's enough to do it twice.

kanji also gets a huge damage off single hits / throws and can limit your opponents option passively. Kanji IS viable, but it requires mind games to land damage. he's a risk / reward character which needs to take his chances at some point as he can't be played around strong fundamentals - that's just his playstyle and I think it's fine and can work consistently, but you can't be predictable or you'll get outplayed.

in fact, the player does everything here. apart from beating scrubs for free with divegrab, he doesn't have save pressure strings, free save mixups or great pokes, that other characters have. you outplay the other player instead of the other character really. that said, Kanji is perfectly viable - just no autoplay (0/ hello aigis)

This game is very new and ppl haven't figured out the match ups. Kanji needs to work for every opening, it's justified that he does much damage as he can be kept at distance quite effectively.

yukiko is the stellar opposite, she has ranged tools that have little to no risk but do little damage without meter. you can play her without taking any risk or whatsoever just with her basic tools.

Kanji is not very strong in this game it seems. That's just how the match ups seem to shake out so far, even with a lot of ambiguity for most match ups in the game people are already saying "Yeah that's a bad match up for Kanji" Pretty often. Burst systems typically disadvantage his type as well.

He's still viable, most characters can't fight him without taking any risks at all because he has a lot of options that let him attack if he can yomi something from most distances.

Don't confuse his ability to punish a mistake with a players ability to predict a decision or a successful mix up. They aren't really the same thing. That said, the grappler match up has always been initially unintuitive and a lot of mistakes get made figuring it out which will make him look better than he is.

I wish he did more damage, or rather I wish a few other characters didn't randomly do a lot more than him.

well, i think im going to drop this game at a competitive level because his playstyle is something I am not a fan of adapting to

i tried using other characters as well, but I cant take this game seriously >_<, it's still a good game though

i had a feeling i would drop the competitive scene for this gem because im not feeling any of these character styles

osuna i completely understand what you mean, and thanks for replying to my question

As for me I play kanji because of the reasons stated above and honestly I like the challenge. I feel over time kanji will condition and prepare me to grow as a better player, over the rest of the cast.

Being patient, instant blocking, making proper reads and punishes can help anyone be successful but with Kanji it almost seems necessary on a consistent basis.

For me working hard for a win based on good decision making, solid defense and conditioning your opponent is priceless.

ProudDisciple on XBL and PSN

I have a question.

When OMCing from a 236C how do you get the dash in time to 2B? His dash is so slow by the time I get the dash they fall out of the combo. I know you don't do it fully and only for a tiny bit of movement forward but doing the dash then waiting for the long 2B to come out and also go into another 236C is pretty tough for me for some reason.

I have a question.

When OMCing from a 236C how do you get the dash in time to 2B? His dash is so slow by the time I get the dash they fall out of the combo. I know you don't do it fully and only for a tiny bit of movement forward but doing the dash then waiting for the long 2B to come out and also go into another 236C is pretty tough for me for some reason.

If you hold forward or down forward while doing a OMC on the ground, you come out dashing immediately. Being able to do this holding DOWN forward is nice because any buttons you input will come out as a crouching attack, even though you're dashing while holding it down. So, knowing this, all you need to do is OMC at the earliest possible time (the last hit of 236C, when they are slammed to the ground) while holding down forward, then hit B as quickly as possible after that, and cancel into 236C again. It's really easy to do after you know you can just hold down forward.

If you hold forward or down forward while doing a OMC on the ground, you come out dashing immediately. Being able to do this holding DOWN forward is nice because any buttons you input will come out as a crouching attack, even though you're dashing while holding it down. So, knowing this, all you need to do is OMC at the earliest possible time (the last hit of 236C, when they are slammed to the ground) while holding down forward, then hit B as quickly as possible after that, and cancel into 236C again. It's really easy to do after you know you can just hold down forward.

Wow, thanks. That helped a lot. Didn't realize you could do that.

you mean 214b/ab? just do it fast as hell, yeah. i hold up and then do the motion as soon as i see kanji start jumping if that helps.

I have another question.

If I'm far away when I hit a FC 5C or J.C and I don't have any meter how would I followup? Seems like for 5C you need to be within 2B range for meterless combos and for J.C you need to be in range of 2C for meterless. If there's some way to still get combos without meter while at max range with 5C and J.C that would be really helpful.

I've just been going off the combo thread which has a lot of options just not any meterless from max range.

I have another question.

If I'm far away when I hit a FC 5C or J.C and I don't have any meter how would I followup? Seems like for 5C you need to be within 2B range for meterless combos and for J.C you need to be in range of 2C for meterless. If there's some way to still get combos without meter while at max range with 5C and J.C that would be really helpful.

I've just been going off the combo thread which has a lot of options just not any meterless from max range.

Combo thread has problems in the first post that need to be fixed. For every Fatal combo listed off of 5C that begins with 5C > 2B, you should actually be doing 5C > 2C > 2B. This has FAR more range and does better damage, though it doesn't work from MAX range, use 236 A+B for that, if you have no meter you're out of luck as far as I know. I'll do the combos with this starter and get the damage values and post them so maybe AXIS could paste them over the old ones so people stop doing these crappy FC 5C > 2B combos...

Also, for FC j.C combos, just dash before you do the 2C/5C, it should work from max range. If you'd rather, you can also use the FC j.C>j.B>2B combos, you can do them from max range if you do an instant air dash before the j.B.

lol That helped tremendously. So much easier then always having to go for 2A+B 5b 2b starter. I didn't realize you could do 5C after j.C FC. That's helpful too. Already noticing more consistency when I do get a FC hit off.

The last two questions answers helped a lot.

- Another one for anyone who wants to answer.

What kind of 5A pressure strings do you guys use? For example you know the basic 5AA into 5b tick grab or 5aa 2a 5b 5c fc setup. I'm having trouble really opening people up once I get a 5a to hit/block.

Also for punishing DPs I know it's specific to the character but for the more traditional DPs do you go for 5C FC punishes or 2B counter hit combos for Mitsuru before she lands. Then for the faster DPs what's good for getting some nice damage when you bait a DP, I'll use Teddie for example. His DP is pretty quick, probably too fast to hit a 5c with. Not sure how I'd go about punishing his DP.

Maybe I can record the dummy to DP then block and test these things out.

You can tick throw after 5A or 5AA. You can also go directly into 5B from 5A. If you catch them blocking a 5C, you can go 236B and either have them block and continue, or cancel it into j.214B to catch people conditioned to block. There's other stuff you can do too I guess, but I never really need to do anything beyond that.

Punishing Mitsuru depends on whether or not she has meter. If she doesn't have meter, punish with a FC C on her landing. If she does have meter, that depends. If you want the guaranteed damage, just knock her out of the air, but if you want to play yomi games, you can 214D her out of ice (if she opts to do that), or roll through either super she will probably do and punish her with a FC C from behind. This all assumes you blocked her DP though, if she whiffs, just FC C her.

As for Teddie, you can just 214D him if you expect wake up DP. His DP has long recovery and a short active window too, so you can alternatively just wait and FC C him.

Well, technically, 5C-236B isn't airtight anyway. You can just roll/DP out of 236B. What I meant by conditioned to block is that they subconsciously react to the jumping animation by holding standing block. You can count this as a misplay, and it is if you understand 236B, but it catches a lot of players, even "top" players. It's a gimmick that will work in your favor every now and then.

But it is a complete gimmick. There's no way to mix it up. It is not something you can condition because of that. Every time they are hit it is a misplay, and we shouldn't hand out gimmicks that are beatable on reaction as if they are good advice.

Is Kanji's 2B really "that good", I'm starting to think yes but then I realize characters like Yu can just charge right through it with something as simple as an angled attack.