Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

[P4A] Yu Narukami - Beginner Thread / Q&A

Meterless, 236D (FC) dash 5C 2B 5B 5C 214D does 2.9k.

If you have Awakening and 50 meter you can do 236D (FC) dash B+D (1) 214214C 2A/2B 5C j.B j.BB JC j.B j.C j.214B for a hell lot more. However this only works on some of the cast. It does not work on Chie, Yukiko, Akihiko, Labrys, S.Labrys, Mitsuru and Aigis. I forget if it works on Kanji, but it works on the rest (Yuu, Naoto, Liz, Yosuke, Kuma)

However, it's pretty hard to use D Zio to punish many R-Actions on reaction cause it's so slow, especially counter-types like Chie and Yosuke's, or Yukiko's which is projectile invuln. 5C starter is the best punish I've found in such cases. You can do dash 5C 2B 5B 5C 214D instead which does about 2.7k. Airborne punish 5C 5B j.B j.BB JC j.B j.C j.214B does 2.6k.

If you have meter/burst, you can also do 5C 214D OMB into 5D 5B 5DD 214B 5B 5C air combo or 5C 214D OMC 214B 5C 5B air combo etc.

Have a question...what would Yu's best non-corner option for punishing DPs?

I've been sticking to his basic BnB but I feel like I could be getting more damage.

To add to what Fluck said, CH 214A can punish some too (tried on Kanji and Mitsuru so far) for a bit more than CH 5C.

CH 214A > dash 5C > 2B > 5B > 5C > 214D = 2954 dmg

But if you don't have meter it might be a better idea to end with sweep and get that oki train going.

And of course if you're in corner the CH 214A will put them in crouch state for 2C combos.

Can 5d > dash 5B 2B > 5DD > j.B blockstring? What about 5d > j.b -> dash 2A?

Yes to both. Tested on training dummy set to block first hit only, normal and instant block. Second one is much harder to get if they IB everything.

Is a ranged attack the only thing Yu's fireball offers?

Pretty much, you don't wanna be doing it up close often since Izanagi stays out quite a while. It combos off 2C midscreen. You can hit confirm it and super cancel to Ziodyne too. D version can be used to punish very unsafe moves for a FC combo (and apparently is plus on block as Mash mentioned). EX version paralyzes on hit and has 2 hits so it could go through some other projectile, which can be useful.

im having a big problem getting under elizabeth's j.b and getting through her 5B. every time i use 2B with yu it just gets crushed

your best bet is to use 2B before elizabeth can j.b cause if he executes j.b you'll block the whole length of the j.b, 5B, 5C.. etc.

So 5B and 2B are yu's best normals to use when approaching? and I should use 2A and sweep for hitting low? and finally, should my aim with Yu be to get that sweep in when i have less than 50 sp due to 5D oki opportunities? it seems to me that Yu can get big damage off his commonly used specials with a OMC, and his mixup becomes more dangerous because if that 214A connects that's leading into a full combo.

5B for mid-ranged 2B for anti air and j.B and j.2A for air approach.. 2A and 214d are pretty much all his low attacks :(.. I'm not sure about his sweep will try on matches later.. and yep OMC from specials can result to large damage like 214D > OMC > 214B > 5C > 2C > j.2A deals 3444 damage at mid screen.. 214A is hard to connect with 5B unless cornered or countered but overall a good mixup special

So 5B and 2B are yu's best normals to use when approaching?
5C and 236C are useful too. 2C is useful as a counter-poke, but it's kind of a trick shot.

and I should use 2A and sweep for hitting low?
Without meter, yeah. Use 2a more than sweep because you can't set up legit pressure off blocked sweep, and gatling to 5d is unsafe on block. You could do 2AB > 214 A for a nice little gimmick string, but if they get hit you won't have good oki.

You can do stuff like 2B 9 AB 6 j.b for instant air crossups. And throws are very nice with Yu. You don't have to rely on high/lows, he has other options. The important thing is to keep up pressure while not being too unsafe.

and finally, should my aim with Yu be to get that sweep in when i have less than 50 sp due to 5D oki opportunities?
Honestly my entire offensive game right now is based around comboing into 2AB > 5D, maximizing damage, and then going back into 2AB > 5D.

it seems to me that Yu can get big damage off his commonly used specials with a OMC, and his mixup becomes more dangerous because if that 214A connects that's leading into a full combo.
214A OMC air dash j.a j.b is legit. 214D OMC is pretty nice, a lot of the time I feel like I'm hemorrhaging meter everywhere and I can't find a good use for it.

214A OMC air dash j.a j.b is legit.

I was messing with this earlier and found something worth mentioning.

If 214A hits close, and you OMC early and airdash at the max height of the attack, j.A will miss everyone except Yu and Teddie. On block this isn't a problem since if they switch to crouch block after blocking the 214A, the j.A will hit their standing hitbox. But this isn't something you'd be able to hit confirm easily so it'd be safest to slightly delay your OMC airdash when doing 214A at close range (don't have to worry against Yu and Teddie though).

From far the move hits lower so you can OMC airdash right when it hits. On this later j.A hit there is actually a gap between 214A and j.A, but on the plus side that makes j.A hit their crouching hitbox after they block 214A and switch to low block.

I think you can also do air dash j.b after the OMC for two hits into a standard ground confirm.

Does anyone know of any frame data? I can't tell if 214A is slightly plus, slightly negative, or even. I thought it was like -1 because of a jump test, and I thought 2A was like -2. Does anyone know if 5A is plus?

I think you can also do air dash j.b after the OMC for two hits into a standard ground confirm.

Does anyone know of any frame data? I can't tell if 214A is slightly plus, slightly negative, or even. I thought it was like -1 because of a jump test, and I thought 2A was like -2. Does anyone know if 5A is plus?

j.B works but I like j.A here. It makes it so you land sooner after the airdash attacks so you have more time to land the ground hits, and it hits quicker.

214A is definitely slightly negative on normal block, go in training with both Narukami doing 5A after blocking it.

5A also seems slightly negative from the same test.

EDIT: getting some mixed results on 214A actually, but most of the time my 5A is winning, so I'm guessing its negative. I'm recording Narukami doing 214A (blocked) 5A, then I'm replaying and doing 5A myself after I block the 214A.

if you setup j.2a j.d properly will his meaty 2a beat out everyone?

i tried vs yosuke and yosuke 5a traded and 2a beat out yu. I might've been a lil slow with my j.d or something though.

if you setup j.2a j.d properly will his meaty 2a beat out everyone?

i tried vs yosuke and yosuke 5a traded and 2a beat out yu. I might've been a lil slow with my j.d or something though.

Yu 5A is faster than 2A by at least 1 frame. Do meaty 5A instead.

Okay, I've been playing online a bit and I've noticed a lot of Yu players using 214B in 2A as a frame trap.

I'm wondering is that a legit frame trap or just lag tactics. Since there is no frame data up at the moment I'm not sure where to look to check and my findings have been inconsistent.

The frame advantage on 214B seems to rely on how far you blocked it, or how high up Yu is once it's blocked. Record him doing it in training and mess around with it, he shouldn't be able to frame trap with 2A if you block the move from closer range.

You can use 214B to call out throw mashing big time, I believe?

Tried it some, it can work if they're in corner, otherwise you go over them. 214A/SB work anywhere, but I've been CH grabbed out of all three versions, so they aren't airborne at frame 1.

Is there frame data out yet? I can't find any.

I wish.

I think you cant DD him

the japanese yu dont even try it

Damn french guys using japan 360 -_- I am so mad! :X

Any tips or setup okizeme vs Teddie ? Teddie BD all time the DD !!

Don't even try it... from what I've seen, Teddie's R-Action bodies the okizeme set up pretty hard.