Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

[P4A] Yu Narukami - Beginner Thread / Q&A

Is it just me, or does ending air combos high up in the corner with j.214A/B leave you in a really bad position? It seems like half the time I end up in the corner myself after they tech, and if I backdash they can late tech and be at advantage or even hit my backdash.

Speaking of Oki. Any tips for people who mash DP whenever I go for the Sweep-5D setup?

If you do j.B during the 5D it's a solid block string, but if you land to low/dodge they have time to DP. You can also do j.BB(second B attack whiffs) > 2A for low but there's a gap there too. Roll dodges some B+D but that's character specific. What you can do on anyone though is just wait after the 5D and see if they like doing it, then punish them hard if they do. If you can tell they literally just mash it at any gap they can find in your pressure, purposely make gaps and block til they learn to stop the hard way.

Is it just me, or does ending air combos high up in the corner with j.214A/B leave you in a really bad position? It seems like half the time I end up in the corner myself after they tech, and if I backdash they can late tech and be at advantage or even hit my back dash.

Pretty sure it doesn't because you should land first and if they tech in the air at the first possible moment you can go for an air grab. If they late tech then you should be at the advantage provided you don't back dash. If it's a huge problem you can opt to sacrifice some damage and instead of doing the 2B, jc, j.BB, dj.B, j.C xx 214B variant do 2B, jc, j.C xx 214B. It doesn't corner carry as well but doesn't leave you in the position that the other variant does.

Hey guys, question...

When you're running 5D oki and you confirm an OTG situation, I've read that this is optimal:

2AB > 5D(OTG) > jump foward, land 2B > 5DD > 214B > dash 2AB > 5D(OTG) > j.B > 5DD > 2AB > 5D(OTG) > j.B (JC) > j.A > 5DD > j.2A

Is this ENTIRE "combo" guaranteed if they decide to not tech the first 2A+B? Or is it simply a sequence of subsequent 5D OTGs if they don't tech 3 times? For clarification, I always assumed I could take any of those 3 OTGs and use them at my leisure. But on forum posts and videos I often see it all thrown together in one long "combo". Is there only a particular part I should be using? What is actually guaranteed? Halp!

Anyone want to try this combo? 5D > evasive action > 2B > 5B > 5DD > 5B > 214D > OMC > 214B. My issue is that i cant connect with the 214B. The reason i'm asking is because i want to determine if my timing is the issue or if the combo isn't legit.

Or is it simply a sequence of subsequent 5D OTGs if they don't tech 3 times?

It's that, they could tech at each of the times you do 5D. This is for when they don't tech the first time you reset into sweep >5D, then don't tech again a second time you reset into sweep > 5D, and then a third time. The only problem is if you started with something like 2A I don't think this entire thing works, I still haven't gone and found exactly what you can start with other than just sweep for it to all work.

but I've been starting with the first part when they don't tech once, and it seems like from my experience most people say "ok I guess I have to tech" at that point. Or "ok I guess he knows how to reset the 5D oki." I think it's unlikely people would wait to be OTG 3 times in a row, once they realize they can just be reset into the 5D oki again for not teching (eventually becomes j.2A oki though). The first part with the 214B does the most damage so I like starting with that.

I have 3 questions.

When getting the sweep into D oki midscreen how do you time your jump b so that the D followup doesn't push them far away? It's my biggest problem midscreen, I've just been IAD late to make up for the pushback. I can get it to work with just a normal jump b but sometimes the persona pushes the guy back to far.

Second question,

How do you set up the empty jump oki off sweep into D? Do you just empty jump followup D and then do a 2A at some point? Do you do the followup D as fast as possible so it makes it harder to see that you're jumping in without doing anything?

Third question,

When you get a throw in the corner or a throw midscreen that's not counterhit what is your best followup? I was just making up my own in the corner doing 2A, 5B, j.BB, j.B j.C, 214A after the throw in the corner and OMC the throw midscreen and doing it if I could finish the round with that small amounts of extra damage. I see CH throw combos in the combo thread but how bout non CH throw combos? Corner and midscreen, would be some nice additions.

Appreciate any help I can get.

When you say D follow up do you mean 5DD? If so you shouldn't be using that during the initial part of the oki you should be saving it for the mix-up or to extend a combo.

If you don't mean 5DD then here are some answers:

Question 1 - It depends on your combo string into 2AB. If you do a long string into 2AB, 5D then you'll need to dash forward slightly before doing jump B.

Question 2 - It's exactly as it sounds. You do 2AB, 5D then dash empty jump into 2A. You save the 5DD if you land the mix up or to maintain pressure if empty jump 2A failed.

Question 3 - From midscreen your only choice is to OMC into 2B, etc... For the corner, you can do 5A, j.C xx 214A, and then you have several options after 214A.

When you say D follow up do you mean 5DD? If so you shouldn't be using that during the initial part of the oki you should be saving it for the mix-up or to extend a combo.

If you don't mean 5DD then here are some answers:

Question 1 - It depends on your combo string into 2AB. If you do a long string into 2AB, 5D then you'll need to dash forward slightly before doing jump B.

Question 2 - It's exactly as it sounds. You do 2AB, 5D then dash empty jump into 2A. You save the 5DD if you land the mix up or to maintain pressure if empty jump 2A failed.

Question 3 - From midscreen your only choice is to OMC into 2B, etc... For the corner, you can do 5A, j.C xx 214A, and then you have several options after 214A.

I'm not supposed to use 5DD as I'm jumping in with B? I always figured that was the best option for if you got a hit and wanted to continue into sweep oki again. I guess I could learn how to incorporate it into the pressure it just seemed like the easier route to do it early so I could focus on the A and B parts of my pressure.

- How do you do the Raging Lion (B) part of this combo? It seems so slow, I can do the swift strike into OMC in my sleep but getting the Raging Lion to connect seems impossible.

5B > 5C > 214D Swift Strike > OMC [A+B+C] > 214B (Raging Lion) > 5C > 2C > 214B (Raging Lion) > j.2A [50 Heat Req.]: 3444/14

For a corner combo off throw you can do 5A > 5C > 2C > 214B > J.2A > J.D for oki. you might want to see if you can backdash to catch people that try to use the evasive action to get out of the corner. For the raging lion after the OMC all i can say is you have to input it ASAP. if there is any delay in the slightest you are going to miss and they will tech.

For a corner combo off throw you can do 5A > 5C > 2C > 214B > J.2A > J.D for oki. you might want to see if you can backdash to catch people that try to use the evasive action to get out of the corner. For the raging lion after the OMC all i can say is you have to input it ASAP. if there is any delay in the slightest you are going to miss and they will tech.

Seems like the OMC into raging lion is based off when you OMC the slide. Cancel it to late and it won't work, cancel it too early and the opponent won't be airborne. Pretty tight timing, although with some practice I suppose it could be practical.

Seems like the OMC into raging lion is based off when you OMC the slide. Cancel it to late and it won't work, cancel it too early and the opponent won't be airborne. Pretty tight timing, although with some practice I suppose it could be practical.

It is practical. Practice up in Training mode and you'll get the timing. Remember using the D version get's you 3 hits, on the 3rd hit it will send you airborne and that's when you OMC into Raging Lion B. It's not easy to start off with but once you find the timing, it becomes natural.

Oki is short for Okizeme. It means the tactics one can use when the opponent is knocked down. for example, in most Yu combos with the sweep (2AB) you will always see 5D afterward. This is because sweeping the opponent is an optimal time to use 5D because it is safe to do so, and it allows you to continue your offense.

I just played somebody online and he was using Kanji. He had this setup in the corner with his anti-air command grab with his persona where if I teched I would just get reset and the persona would grab me, but if I didn't tech then it would combo. How do I get out of this setup? I would test it myself but I don't know how to recreate it. I know that there are similar setups in Marvel where you can neutral tech to fall to the ground faster to avoid it, but I am new to Arc Sys games so I am not sure what to do in this.

I just played somebody online and he was using Kanji. He had this setup in the corner with his anti-air command grab with his persona where if I teched I would just get reset and the persona would grab me, but if I didn't tech then it would combo. How do I get out of this setup? I would test it myself but I don't know how to recreate it. I know that there are similar setups in Marvel where you can neutral tech to fall to the ground faster to avoid it, but I am new to Arc Sys games so I am not sure what to do in this.

You could probably just tech and DP. Or tech in a different direction.

So who is watching Big Two and just watched SKD, do that fuzzy setup. Please someone help me explore this and figure out what exactly causes it to do what it does until Spooky closes the stream so I can watch it more closely. I was so hype watching that.

If you understand fuzzy guard then there's really nothing to figure out what causes it. When an opponent blocks a deep jump in attack and they switch to a crouch block the game will still register their standing hit box for a moment. Under normal circumstances an immediate j.A point blank on a crouching character will whiff but if you do a deep j.B then dj.A the j.A will hit (if the opponent is crouching) because the game still sees the opponent's standing hit box.

So who is watching Big Two and just watched SKD, do that fuzzy setup. Please someone help me explore this and figure out what exactly causes it to do what it does until Spooky closes the stream so I can watch it more closely. I was so hype watching that.

Basically he lands a deep j.b then he double jumps and hits j.a then D for the persona follow up then he can come down again with j.b for a combo. What happens is the opponent switches to crouch block after blocking the j.b (expecting you to land and go low) you jump again for the instant j.a. Since they are now crouch blocking they get hit by an over head j.a but normally this wouldn't land in normal circumstances and that's all do because their hit box is still standing in this event.

It works on everyone except Teddie.

Back when I tried it a few days ago on everyone I couldn't get it to work on Labrys/Shadow Labrys either. Am I doing something wrong?

I understand the mechanics about it I am just having problems getting it to replicate. I am more or less trying to understand exactly how deep you have to hit the jump in and when you have to tap up to get the double jumped A to connect

EDIT: Sorta figured it out in the corner so far against a couple of characters, mid-screen still seems more difficult

I understand the mechanics about it I am just having problems getting it to replicate. I am more or less trying to understand exactly how deep you have to hit the jump in and when you have to tap up to get the double jumped A to connect.
You have to hit it very deep, you have to double jump as fast as possible after the 2 hits and immediately hit j.a.

Honestly, that's something you have to experiment by yourself in training mode. We can tell you to hit the j.B deep but to get a feel for it you need to mess around in training mode. I believe someone mentioned earlier that the fuzzy guard setup timing differs between characters but I believe Mitsuru was one of the characters that were consider easier to land it on.

Here's how I practice the fuzzy guard string in training mode. Set the dummy to block everything, record the dummy doing nothing or crouching, replay the recording doing standard 2AB, 5D setup then play around with the j.B, dj.A timing. The recording will be done by the time you do j.B and the dummy should be able to block everything. If the j.A is blocked high the timing was correct but if it whiffs you didn't hit j.B deep enough so you need to adjust your timing from there. If you want to test the combo on hit then set the dummy to crouching and then replay it during the dj.A part.

If someone has an easier means to do this in training mode let me know as I couldn't find the dummy actions I wanted. Kind of spoiled by KoF's training mode. lol

If someone has an easier means to do this in training mode let me know as I couldn't find the dummy actions I wanted. Kind of spoiled by KoF's training mode. lol

Well what I was doing to practice it was setting dummy to standing, blocking everything, block switching off. Then doing a short combo off 2A into sweep 5D. The j.A will be blocked if you do it right. Unfortunately you can't practice the combo easily this way.

Well what I was doing to practice it was setting dummy to standing, blocking everything, block switching off.

I set the dummy to crouching block everything, no switching, then recorded the dummy (standing) holding back for 2s, then stopped the recording. You could record it holding back for as long as you want depending on when you want to push the play button. I was able to practice the combo by hitting play right as I jumped in and it would switch to crouching block while I was doing the j.B and the fuzzy would happen if I timed it right.

It adds an artificial layer of timing in pressing playback, but you can actually practice the combo that way. You don't have to time the dummy perfectly, you have a window the length of the jumping B where it could switch to crouching and you'll still get the fuzzy right.