Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labrys - Gameplay Discussion

Yea i planned to speak to you a bit on skype but you werent on. First one ill probably do is Yukiko, since ive been doing that matchup alot as of late.

I'm lacking in matchup experience as well. I've only been winning matches with basics tbh. I do want to get better too.

has anyone done brutal impact accidentally occasionally? I had instance where it comes out when I'm trying to do tsurugi or guillotine. I think the 2 2 input comes out sometimes like 2 > 4 > 2 > 4 and sometimes the buffering from the sweep to guillotine may cause this for me. I may be the only one, but I've seen this one labrys player do it accidentally on netplay; he said didn't try to do it on the mike.

Think happened to me like 5 times or less. Last time I think it happened was about a month ago. Forgot why it happened though. With Guillotine I can kind of see it happening accidentaly. But not tsurugi

It also happened to me only a few times until last week... I just started to do it maybe like once out of ten matches I played (just guessing/estimating it... it seems so frequent). It was driving me crazy and I hit the lab and doing bunch of blockstrings. I definitely had it come out during my SP combos where tsurugi is used. I gotta figure out what changed that made me start to do this frequently. It feels like how with Chie when I try to do god hand, but meteors come out instead >.>

Did it in tournament once, never really "accidentally" done it before then. Just wanted to churn butter... :psyduck:

I did my first offline tourney and I ended up doing it then too. It may have costed the match for me... though I made plenty of other mistakes too.

might start playing this again on netplay. i had fun last time i played it offline.

are the BnBs and oki setups mostly the same as they were a few months after release? or has some new tech happened?

BnBs are mostly the same. Confirm into knockdown or meter or air combo for damage, or, in red, do whatever the hell you want and get all three. Lots of fancy oki stuff as listed in the oki thread, not that any of it actually does anything.

Mostly, top JP Labs go for basic small mixup of hits. Lots of meter enders. The goal is to make the most of Labrys's only strengths, a decent neutral game and the ability to convert big off random hits, especially with meter.

tl;dr you sit on you axe like before, but instead of going in hard as a motherfuck after you hit them, you sit on that axe some more.

you really think none of the new oki options help out in big ways? I dunno my success after a knockdown has gone up dramatically since using these setups. I need to start incorperating some of the 5D~D stuff into my game too.

Ive been using most of the oki setups for a long time except the 5D ones. But i have to say its really effective in the corner once you get the feel for how to use it. Havnt had anyone avoid it yet. And it was done on me in a mirror match and i found it annoying to deal with, even though i knew the answer to it. I might try to come up with some other setups involving it. Maybe some midscreen stuff too, that doesnt involve CH 5B

has anyone done brutal impact accidentally occasionally?

I remember the only time I ever used BI in a match, it was on accident. I think I was trying to do 214214D, but my hand slipped and I hit A instead. Luckily for me, though, my opponent was apparently unfamiliar with the move, so he actually tried to burst it, which just led to me winning the round. I was laughing so hard afterward.

you really think none of the new oki options help out in big ways? I dunno my success after a knockdown has gone up dramatically since using these setups. I need to start incorperating some of the 5D~D stuff into my game too.

I haven't really had much luck with 5DD, but yeah, I too have had a surprising amount of success with the tsurugi tech Eshi posted. Mostly on netplay, granted, but it also helped in the one offline tourney I've entered.

It doesn't seem useful against delayed techs, though. Need to find something for that.

Are you on pad or stick

I'm on a stick.

I had some success with Eshi's oki set up on net play. It does force the opponents to DP which I can start baiting. I did the 5DD oki in the corner few times and it seem to work decently. Though there are times it just got rolled, so I don't know. I tried to see if I can do brutal impact set up on 5DD oki, but it doesn't seem to work.

Tsurugi setups are very useful and still about the only reward you can get off of 2A (besides going for 214A/super), but they've been around since release so justin would already know those.

5D~D setups are good, although pretty situational. It's not bad to go into if you can catch someone with red axe at high health. If the opponent knows the Labrys matchup, it's not exactly easy to hit someone without blowing the meter you needed for damage--meterless Lab options are all fairly linear. Sure, she can blow up escapes with baiting, but that's not quite enough to justify going back in as hard as you would with other characters.

On the other hand, if your opponents for some reason don't feel like respecting a basic meaty or chain (USA USA USA USA) or don't know the matchup/character (very likely) there's no reason to not go for the mash blowup until they actually start blocking...at which point they might realize that it's pretty hard for Lab to actually hit a target under pressure. Or they might never stop blocking, like real patriots.

ALWAYS go for BI combos. Every 5 BI combos is a blue burst thrown. Every 5 BI resets (delay BI by a frame or two in a BI combo) is a gold burst thrown.

Late teching of tsurugi setups can be blown up by whiff cancelling your dash 2A into another one, holding your spike, throwing the suckers, or just picking them up. The world is your oyster. Hell, if they're too late, you can meaty with tsurugi. Completely safe from anything not named kanji supergrab.

I'm on a stick.

Guess its easier to do a motion like that by accident on stick.

I did the 5DD oki in the corner few times and it seem to work decently. Though there are times it just got rolled

If they rolled out of it your doing something wrong. When exactly did they roll

5D~D setups are good, although pretty situational. It's not bad to go into if you can catch someone with red axe at high health.

ALWAYS go for BI combos. Every 5 BI combos is a blue burst thrown. Every 5 BI resets (delay BI by a frame or two in a BI combo) is a gold burst thrown.

5DD isnt situational, you can pretty much do it on a ton of confirms from the corner. BI combos are on the situational end. Your almost never going to have all the resources to do it. And even if you do odds are you wont do it because even certain confirms dont work with the combos. In the 1.3k matches ive done wirh Lab, ive never landed one

Need to be in awakening, 75+ sp, red axe, and a decent starter. The requires almost never happen. I wish BI wasnt an awakening super. Wouldve been more practical then.

AoA into 5B is hard to link, i mentioned another way to go into it in the oki thread. If your having trouble with it you can just do a slight walk backwards or forwards to space yourself after the AoA. Good to do if your too close and you want their DP attempt to fail. If their still able to roll try to get the timing right, they shouldnt be able to do anything but use invul moves or block if you did it right. Afterwards you can do

5D - dash 5A > jump and hold 3~5DD

From there you can go into

J.A for overhead

Empty jump 2A for low

Late airdash j.A for confusion

What? Nothing is sillier than a BI combo. That's why you go for it. Let that bald eagle fly!

I find the requirement of a yellow+ starter and having the opponent in a corner while not actually having the resources to kill an enemy a bit on the iffy end though. Doesn't happen much if the opponent knows what's up.

What? Nothing is sillier than a BI combo. That's why you go for it. Let that bald eagle fly!

I find the requirement of a yellow+ starter and having the opponent in a corner while not actually having the resources to kill an enemy a bit on the iffy end though. Doesn't happen much if the opponent knows what's up.

I really want to do BI combos in a real match. It looks so swag and stylish. But I never seem to find myself the opportunity to try.

5DD oki I tried was 5AAA > AoA > 5B > 5DD. For the most part it seem to work, but I remember one time it got rolled on wake up on net play.

I really want to do BI combos in a real match. It looks so swag and stylish. But I never seem to find myself the opportunity to try.

5DD oki I tried was 5AAA > AoA > 5B > 5DD. For the most part it seem to work, but I remember one time it got rolled on wake up on net play.

I got rid of that set-up because it was too hard and inconsistent.

I need to organize that oki thread but I got my hands full with the new combo thread.

Surf made this corner oki setup which is better and works alot easier.

5AAA > AoA > 5D

It should hit meaty if you time it with your opponents tech on wake-up.

If they roll on wake up and the 5D doesnt meaty you can CH them during the roll animation

I havent messed with BI combos yet so I dont even know if they are worth learning but I'll get to that at some point for the new combo thread.

You only have to use this on a Green axe or lower axe level.

BI combos are essentially strictly better if they will kill and you fulfill the requirements, as all they do is eat more meter, deal less damage, and save your axe. You can also standing reset into BI by dropping the combo (lol).

5D meaty is nice and all but against a lot of character it's essentially a safer meaty that's more telegraphed.

BI combos are essentially strictly better if they will kill and you fulfill the requirements, as all they do is eat more meter, deal less damage, and save your axe. You can also standing reset into BI by dropping the combo (lol).

5D meaty is nice and all but against a lot of character it's essentially a safer meaty that's more telegraphed.

Sadly the standing reset is arguably the most gimmicky worst reset in the game... as if you're opponent has even an inkling of what to do to beat BI in neutral, they can do the same thing in a "reset" combo

I was playing around with the BI reset a couple months ago and some characters literally cant do anything about it if you time it perfectly.

Sadly the standing reset is arguably the most gimmicky worst reset in the game... as if you're opponent has even an inkling of what to do to beat BI in neutral, they can do the same thing in a "reset" combo

Nah man, you learn the 1f link so that it hits meaty. The timing changes depending on the exact proration of the combo. MAN MODE

Since we're kinda sorta but not really on the subject of frametraps in the critique thread, anyone got some good ones?

All I've really got are some 5AA related stuff like 5AA 2A, 5AAA, 5AA Throw

She uh. Really doesnt have much of any that hasnt already been mentioned by you just now or in the critique thread. If she has 5AA > 5B thatd be incredible. But she doesnt. Her limited gatlings really hurt her alot more than oeople realize