Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[P4A] Yukiko vs. Yosuke

No, no. I'm not saying that it should be your answer to it every time, just wanted to point out that Dia could take the hits. Probably the same for Elizabeth too.

I find myself saving my Burst for OMB combos. You have to deal as much damage as you can before you have to play the "swat the fly" neutral game.

j.A is very useful in this matchup (possibly THE poke to use).

Don't be afraid to burn meter just to keep pressure on Yosuke. Keeping him still is the next best thing to dealing damage.

i'm finding. j.A and also run under 5C works wonders against yosuke.

because of the extended range you get from cross unders, you get alot of yosuke's running into it. yosuke's tend to feel like they have alot of freedom to move so this will tag them if they are unaware.

j.A is pretty active and has a decent hitbox so it's good for yosuke's that like to hold forward.

also i feel like, similar to the labrys matchup, constant movement is important, but not constant attacks (due to his DP)

being unpredictable as to where you are going to be allows you to catch him doing a bad kunai toss.

and being patient enough to wait during key reversal spots will let u land some damaging FC combos.

I'm having a really hard time with this matchup. Is there a way to keep him away or do you just have to play the defensive game against his speed?

There's not really a good way to keep him away from you. If he wants to be right next to you, he'll be there in general.

Challenging him in the air seems to be one of the better options; j.A is really good. Trying to fight him on the ground is pretty difficult, since Yukiko's moves are really slow and have bad recovery in general. The occasional Maragi is nice to try and control space, but j.A is good, as is having j.D on the screen to cover fan throws.

Be especially on the lookout for CHs that you can confirm to Maragi loops, since he's one of the few chars you can kill pretty quickly off of a Maragi combo + firebreak reset.

Only punish slides with 2A; he recovers fast enough to DP reversal anything else if you try to punish it from my experience.

Combos that end in the air typically let you tech in the air. Yosukes typically try to catch you in the air with a 2B afterward; use j.D to pause your fall and reassess the situation / changesides / dash / throw a fan / whatever.

Yeah like Ciddy said you mostly want to be in the air in this match up because Yosuke is to fast so he's going to get in pretty easily and Yukiko's start up and recovery for her moves are too slow against him. j.A is like the best move to use against Yosuke in the air but I also like j.C a lot too because it has more range and is easier to confirm off of. j.D is good for controlling space and making fan throws safe and if the yosuke is careless while j.D is falling down and if he gets hit by it you can get a free FC combo that can lend into big damage from Maragi Loop or unblockable your choice. Also if you can land a j.A or j.B CH make sure to use EX air Agi so you can confirm into a Maragi Loop from that or just do a normal combo for damage and you can start your zoning.

I usually save my Burst against Yosuke so when his health get's low I can kill him with a OMB combo and watch out for Yosuke's 2B since it's air unblockable and has a retarded hitbox (one of the dumbest in the game) and when he ends his combos delay your tech with a j.D or something because most Yosukes like to hit you with a 2B once you tech in the air but Ciddy already pointed that out.

Best tools for the on the ground - B and EX Agi, occasional Maragi, 1B, occasional 4D, and Fire Boost.

Yosukes counter can be baited with a j.3B and a j.C so on wake up try to bait out his counter with one of these moves then punish him after his counter wiffs the move. Agi also works well for his counter and watch out for his super>OMC on wakeup.

I like watching for the simple things against Yosuke. A simple checklist:

1) He has meter? Watch out for wake-up Garudyne.

2) Blocked Dash Spring? Upback and throw if he does moonsault (an inexperienced Yosuke will do this), otherwise look out for either Kunais or teleport mix-ups.

3) Fullscreen? He can Dash Spring through your projectiles if he predicts correctly.

4) And most of all... check if they mash R-Action. "COME GET ME... YIKES"

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

jC in many cases just flat out beats Yosuke's BD. It'll activate and not hit yukiko out of anything lol

Against Yosuke and any other character with similar BD (Teddie, Chie, etc.) you can do sweep > (just before landing) j.D and it will bait the DP and setup the unblockable provided that you conditioned them correctly.

Won't work against wake-up > mashing so make the correct call.

I think the secret to fighting to Yosuke (as funny as it sounds) is to simply to lead him on. When he's close to you, you may not realize it, but you actually have more an advantage than you do far away.

You see, at close range you if you sense Yosuke going for the offensive just stay patient and keep blocking and Dia when you see an opening in his attack string. If he goes for a 236C (his confusion attack), simply roll through it and get your CH into a free combo. If he tries the run up into cross slash, Dia will shut him out--just be careful of his teleportation attack that hit through your Dia. The only issue you might have with him up close is airgame. Yosuke has more faster and effective anti-airs, so be extra careful of your position when attempting to fight him in midair and air dash towards him for offensive pressure.

At further range it's a bit of an issue, because you may find some Yosuke oddly enough playing keepaway until they find a way to dodge Yukiko's zoning attacks, see an opening and strike. Don't be discouraged by his speed from far away. What I usually like to do is to keep Yosuke in one place since he's prone to jumping around and running around a lot. This means I use a lot of 5D (NOT 6D, I almost never use it unless I know it's going to hit). Throw a fan if you need to discourage him from jumping so much in the air, and try to flush him out by repeatedly throwing your Persona out there in front of him. Do not worry if he steals a card from you. As long as he standing there, you can continue to use more pressure to keep him stagnant or, my favorite strategy of the fight...

After you find yourself close to him, this is your shining moment. Because of Yosuke's DP and its properties most Yosuke players throw it out when under pressure or anticipating an attack coming, but once you learn the timing of Yosuke's DP and his weakspot, this match is all yours. Ways to bait Yosuke's DP are when rushing him down, when in the corner (especially after a knockdown), and the best one, IMMEDIATELY stopping your attack string. Most Yosukes usually fall for it every time, mashing DP in the hopes that you will mess up your combo and leave an opening. But you can get a good hitconfirm in, begin any combo and then just STOP in the middle of it (ex. from a 2A hit, do 5A>5AA>5B--STOP), the Yosuke will 9 times out of 10 throw out a DP in order to knock you down and stop your flow. Read it, and the moment Yosuke frowns LOSE YOUR SHIT on him.

Once you can get a Yosuke to start second guessing what to do next, that's when you know you've already won half the battle.

Alas, this is only my perceptions and advice when fighting Yosuke so if you have a problem with anything I have said, I more than understand. But I do hope this helps you out as a Yukiko player against Yosukes out there ^_^

You can Dia through his IK. Sets you up for a free punishment, but that's 100 meter you can make him put down the drain if he gets cocky and tries it on you. So glorious.

Got a little secret against one of Yosuke's annoying tricks--his EX Dash Spring, or the move which allows him to collide onto you head-on with ridiculous speed. If he activates Sukukaja, Dash Spring becomes even faster.

However, you can throw him out of it the moment he reaches you. It takes some practice (and extreme accuracy), but you can legitimately use this against him in competitive play. Yosuke's EX Dash Spring also has a slight start-up, meaning if you time an Agi right you can actually stop his EX Dash Spring before it even happens. Do note that A and B Dash Spring cannot be thrown against, but are susceptible to projectiles and normals, such as 5A.

You can also use 6D against Yosuke's EX Dash Spring if you don't want to try for a throw, as it will automatically give you a Fatal Counter. If I'm not mistaken, throwing out a Persona against his regular Dash Spring will just result in him taking away a card from you.