Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko vs Kanji

TL;DR verdict: ??:??

Kanji's tools

Akihiko's answer to them

-----------------------

Akihiko's tools

Kanji's answer to them

Any advice for this matchup?

I feel like Kanji completely controls the pace of the match, as many of his options beats Aki's out clean. Aki's worst matchup?

From my (admittedly limited) experience, this matchup is all about using your footsies to their utmost. What you need to remember is that, while Aki may have difficulty getting in, so does Kanji. You've got to dance around him, use a lot of feints, and just in general make the Kanji player unsure when you are going to pressure.

Time him out.

You gotta get a hit first to do that, and stay in the lead and not get negative for it.

Kazi is right about this one. If you try to kill rush mixup a kanji, he can just newb throw you and it'll literally throw you through anything you pull out. My only options mid kill rush is 214 d, but even then he can just use C to hit you. I've fought really good kanjis that know this and will turtle waiting for the mistake. You have to play extreme footsies, basically only jab, or 5c when at its edge. When you land an opening go for your combo. Dont oki him to hard, i'd say bait him more then try to mix him up

This is America, Kanji won't block every overhead. I'll just hit him with one overhead.

Anyway, after Kill rush A, you can jump and his command throw will whiff. Alternatively, AoA will also make grab whiff. AoA will armor his B+D too if he's late and then you land and mash 5B for Fetal Position Damage.

AoA seems risky and is begging to be command-grabbed on block

I dunno, like others said, what's worked best for me so far is to literally do as little as possible. It's like playing with Guile (and why I mentioned that I believe Kanji sets the match pace).

But what gives me hope a statement that was mentioned by another poster; the fact that he has to work to get to me as I have to do Kanji. So I guess the only thing to do is to play smart and punish all his jump-ins (can I convert to a full combo?).

I've gotten a decent amount of Kanji games in this game and there's no "just" doing anything. His Command grab has grabbed me out of my AoA, short hop and most all dashes. His DP either WINS or trades with half your options all of which in his favor afterwards. He's got more range than akihiko does too both in moves, persona moves and a projectile. This match sucks.

sHowever if you ever kill rush into A Hook into D Weave. The command grabs won't reach, normal grab will be techable and his supers on reaction to the flash can be EX Corkscrewed so that's something.

Well, playing against Kanji is all kinds of risky anyway, so you just have to pick and choose what risks to take and when. I personally think Kanji has more tools to get in to you and keep you out because his moves outrange yours. It also sucks you can't hope to pressure him for too long because his DP is ridiculous and he can grab you out of many of your blockstrings. Catching him in the air with 2B can net you a combo regardless if its CH or not, but relying on just anti-airs is super risky considering his j.B hitbox is huge and he can always throw out a j.C or air command grab instead. Its easier said than done to shut out his air approaches. >.< Seriously, the only thing I can do is be patient by playing footsies with j.C and rushing in with jabs in the rare instance. I agree with zyphur in baiting him to whiff a DP or command grab rather than trying to mix him up. Working in a hop after Boomerang Hook to bait his grab or a D Weave after Kill Rush to bait his DP works wonders. Of course, that's only if you guess correctly what he's going to do. Yeah...this match-up is just all about knowing your options and taking a gamble. I'd like to think keeping the blockstrings short and varying the mix-ups (sweep, AoA, Caesar, EX duck) will condition your opponent to either respect your blockstrings or mash out.

Has anyone tried using the AC rotation j.B as a cross-up? o.o How effective is it in this match-up?

Well, playing against Kanji is all kinds of risky anyway, so you just have to pick and choose what risks to take and when. I personally think Kanji has more tools to get in to you and keep you out because his moves outrange yours. It also sucks you can't hope to pressure him for too long because his DP is ridiculous and he can grab you out of many of your blockstrings. Catching him in the air with 2B can net you a combo regardless if its CH or not, but relying on just anti-airs is super risky considering his j.B hitbox is huge and he can always throw out a j.C or air command grab instead. Its easier said than done to shut out his air approaches. >.< Seriously, the only thing I can do is be patient by playing footsies with j.C and rushing in with jabs in the rare instance. I agree with zyphur in baiting him to whiff a DP or command grab rather than trying to mix him up. Working in a hop after Boomerang Hook to bait his grab or a D Weave after Kill Rush to bait his DP works wonders. Of course, that's only if you guess correctly what he's going to do. Yeah...this match-up is just all about knowing your options and taking a gamble. I'd like to think keeping the blockstrings short and varying the mix-ups (sweep, AoA, Caesar, EX duck) will condition your opponent to either respect your blockstrings or mash out.

Has anyone tried using the AC rotation j.B as a cross-up? o.o How effective is it in this match-up?

I think your asking the wrong question haha. For one I've never heard of someone choosing J.b over J.c for the AC crossup. J.b is much smaller but I can see it could have its uses. Anyways, I dont think that actual cross up has anything to do with kanji. It has to do with the player. I could be fighting anybody and use what you've mentioned. Tricks or oki/gimmicks only work on a person to person basis. Not the match up as a whole. The bottom line to this match up is if your open 2-3 times, your dead. Kanjis 5c doesn't really outrange your 5c. His 5d covers quite farther. Problem for kanji is there's a sweet spot where he cant reach you between his 5c and 5d. There's where you want to camp. They try all sorts of things to get to that spot. Jump into an ex throw/665 C/open special after baiting/ and simply turtling in. If he trys to jump in 2b. If he trys to micro dash his 5C kill rush counter him for a good 4k. If he baits you into an open special shake it off. And get back out of range. If he turtles in try kill rush>4a>6c>Throw. If he is mashing through your rekka then 4d>6b and punish hard.

I also forgot to mention that if the kanji does his r-action, that last thing you want to be doing is crossing up with j.b over j.c

Honestly, the status quo for this matchup is just about the same as a lot of other matchups, you just have to be more careful because his FA and throws hurt like a bitch.

If you think you can get him with cross up jB, go for it. But ultimately, any time you decide to pressure, you take the risk that the Kanji player read you right.

This is why you want to feint a lot, to condition the Kanji into thinking that you won't pressure him.

I personally have not seen much use of j.C for the AC rotation cross-up in videos because j.B is so much quicker in catching your opponent off guard and still leading to a full combo at the right height. I think its a legitimate question to ask if the AC rotation is a good tactic to use in terms of discussing all the options you have on the table. I get what you're saying about the generality of the question, but all I wondered was if its worth the risk to use as a mix-up against Kanji. Either way, I don't even know why I asked that because I should have known everything is a major risk pressuring Kanji. lol Akihiko's 5C range may not be bad at all in a 5C vs. 5C trade-off, but its something that I would not do on a regular basis based on my experience because I feel his rewards off landing his 5C CH are greater than mine. I'll try some more Kill Rush tactics and see how that works out. Match-up knowledge is basically just trying to understand all your opponent's options at any given time and how you can counter it. Each player has their own ticks and tactics/gimmicks, so its not a bad thing to know all the gimmicks you can do to counter them if need be. :P Its definitely helpful to know the straight-up facts and what you can do to beat it, but its rarely ever so black-and-white that you can't discuss common gimmicks that each character tends to do.

Cross-posting from Mayonaka Midnight:

kanji's DP is insanely godlike. honestly it's probably the best thing going for him in this match-up. He will punish akihiko's normal agressive play really hard between it and command throws, and it's impossible to safe jump or OS the frame 1 super armor so Oki is a lot more risky.

It's best to play this match like it's Makoto vs. Zangeif. Play much more lame while you have a life lead and force him to take risks, it's a lot easier to reaction punish him than to rely on guessing with mix-up. Max distance for A Kill Rush is the perfect spacing for this. I find that exercising more control over my rush down drastically increases my chances of winning.

There's two useful things I figured out in training mode. The first is that EX Weaving is strong for escaping dangerous situations (like electrified). if he does DP or D throw, you can just run in and fatal 5B on reaction, or C Duck > Corkscrew on moves that recovery faster (or electrified). The second is that if he's feeling himself and counter DP's your DP, you can on reaction super cancel into Thunder Fist to make it safe (other two supers don't work).

Kanjis Dp is like everyone elses... frame 1 invincibility. I don't know what your going on about but the only thing kanji has going for him DP wise, is its only -5. Which makes it safe on regular block. Bait it like anyone elses, hell make it whiff, and he's in the same shoes as everyone else.

I don't think this matchup is bad, i practice consistently vs a good kanji. This matchup is all about knowing his range and not letting him get in your mind. You have to have a powerful mixup game to play akihiko anyway so i don't see the problem here.

You have it wrong new blood. I assure you the kanji you play must not be that good. Akihiko as a whole has good mixups. Not the person playing him. And your range IS his. Thats the problem in the first place. All you have to do is mess up twice. I don't care if your the mix up master, you have openings. If your playbuddy can't punish them, you don't have the consensus to come here and speak about the matchup

Kanji DP is an AOE that hits in the air and stays out longer, as well as being invincible frame 1. It's the best DP on it's own right. Shuts down over half of Akihiko's pressure options up close by itself.

You have it wrong new blood. I assure you the kanji you play must not be that good. Akihiko as a whole has good mixups. Not the person playing him. And your range IS his. Thats the problem in the first place. All you have to do is mess up twice. I don't care if your the mix up master, you have openings. If your playbuddy can't punish them, you don't have the consensus to come here and speak about the matchup

A little mean, but yeah thats how the matchup is. Off a knockdown in the corner, i use dacidbro's advice to backjump J.C. It counters Kanji's DP giving you another knockdown and upwards of 3k damage.

Kanjis Dp is like everyone elses... frame 1 invincibility. I don't know what your going on about but the only thing kanji has going for him DP wise, is its only -5. Which makes it safe on regular block. Bait it like anyone elses, hell make it whiff, and he's in the same shoes as everyone else.

Basically everyone's DP is option select punishable by Akihiko in some way except for Kanji's. It's not frame 1 invincible, it's frame 1 super armor which is a BIG difference. Invincible DPs allow you to safe jump their wake-up and punish every time. Counter DPs allow you to safe cross-up their wake-up which makes the counter followup whiff so you can also punish it. If you try to do this on Kanji then you're screwed. Other characters have a persona attack or projectile type attack they can meaty to OS his DP but Akihiko has nothing like that. jC is a good bait punish though.

I say this because option selects are vastly superior to baiting - option selects always work when executed correctly while baiting implies that guessing wrong can get you punished instead. Because of this, going in on Kanji carries more inherent risk than going in on other characters, which is why I recommend to play much more lame than normal. That way, if he makes a bad guess then you can reaction punish with A Kill Rush without taking any risks yourself.

How butthurt are you?

Don't instigate an argument, this thread is about Akihiko vs Kanji.. keep it that way.

Anyways hello everyone, I'm new blood as well <3 I'm pretty much overwhelmed with kanjis, 4-6 people in my area play kanji and i'm just a lonely boxer ;__; I noticed someone say just jump after a blocked A killrush, does anyone know what a killrush is on block? (also A/b/ex boomerang hooks, shit.. if anyone can direct me to frame data for this guy that would be greatly appreciated.) I went to a session last night and was getting grabbed after I did a killrush->a hook->d weave :\ Even super grabbed me. I'm gonna do some more testing in training mode but that was definitely frustrating. I noticed someone say you can do ex corkscrew if they try to super you after d weave so that's interesting as well..

edit: i remebering seeing on MM boards someone said ex weave is good for getting out of a tight situation. Is this this a raw ex weave, or can I use ex weave after an A boomerang hook or just A killrush? I feel like I got grabbed out of ex weave when i tried it last night, but maybe I did something wrong :\