Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko vs Kanji

lol -.- it was right in front of my eyes, i'm sorry for not searching very far. Thanks though :) Is this 100% or just an estimate?

Btw what is SD? it's frames on block, right? :| 5a, 5aa, 2a being negative is upsetting :(

The long and short of this matchup is, your range is his range, and in that range he has an unblockable (sometimes invincible) grab that does up to 45% of your health.

His Persona slash range is longer than yours, his jB is superior to yours as well, and he has that ridiculous pounce too. Damage wise you're about even, but this matchup is definitely heavily in Kanji's favor.

Only advice I have is try to stay in the air often. AC is generally a bad idea unless you are predicting he's gonna use his persona to slash at you. AOA is too risky and generally isn't worth it. Punish his DP hard to scare him into never using that shit. Short hop like your life depends on it.

It is not heavily in his favor, it's probably even actually. Your points are true but Akihiko is also MUCH faster with his Kill Rushes and Corkscrews than Kanji, who's attacks are generally very slow. focus on limiting his options, reacting to his approaches and hitting him as hard as possible before resetting to neutral and the match-up gets a lot easier. maybe sneak in a reset or two if you feel lucky.

I think it's in Kanji's favor as well, but not that much. Because going for a reset is the scariest thing to do in this match. I'd almost say never do it and rely heavily only your own spacing and punishing. Unless of course you've mind fucked him for some reason

My problem with this matchup is almost all your solutions to beating his A command grab are defeated if he does the B version instead. Both versions cover each other really well, and because of this rock paper scissors you don't even want to be in that range, which is unfortunately the exact range where we're supposed to make the magic happen. Short hop>jB is beaten by B command grab, as is double upper. Even jumping isn't safe because of the heavenly persona buster.

Kill rush is important for this matchup (as with all matchups) but it has to be used sparingly, because on whiff you're dead meat. I think you really have to lame this one out to win.

My problem with this matchup is almost all your solutions to beating his A command grab are defeated if he does the B version instead.

Your answer is jumpback j.C

If he tries to 214.C, 214.D or in specific cases, R-Action, you either get counterhit or a punish window. Obviously he has answers for that, but you get so much damage off of a command grab punish in this way that it evens out.

Slightly in Kanji's favor.

His 5c has a lot of real estate and is good for frame traps. His oki is frightening. His damage is on par with yours (actually a bit higher off of good hits). You have to use your speed to your advantage so much in this match up.

I'm making a flurry of notes, so like in other threads, I'll make a detailed write up later.

Yeah this matchup is not easy (but when are they ever for our character?) since Akihiko doesn't have a go-to blockstring or mixup that is guaranteed its bad news if he guesses right. I feel like its 50-50 when it breaks down but that's being generous on getting in on kanji (did I really just say getting on a grappler?)

It was somewhat mentioned but the only time you can challenge Kanji's DP is if you do your own DP canceled into D Thunder Fist for invincibility. But, the activated guard point makes him completely invincible so he's not really that punishable. Also it was mentioned in the general threads but I think it's worth mentioning here since it's important. Activating Thunder Fist removes any shock buff on you and with it on, any move that would put shock on you on hit, it wouldn't. So with that in mind his DP lessens in potential dangerousness (lol not a real word). And I think this would really stop his momentum and is very critical if you had a lead in life and meter.

I posted this on MM for someone, and I just decided to repost it on here. Everything might have been talked about already but here it is anyways D:

This has probably been said a million times, and all of this might just seem real basic/fundamental but here I go.. >___>

You have to play really safe against this guy. I'm not the best player by any means... i'm still trying to learn this game completely but I definitely feel a lot more comfortable in this match up. This is one of the only match ups I actually feel comfortable in right now to be honest.

Don't really go crazy with hook pressure, you can get grabbed/DPed. BAIT DP/C.THROW OVER AND OVER. Make them think twice about using those options.. and make sure you punish them HARD. Bait elec and dash up 5b fatal counter combo. Punish whiffed c.throw with either dash up 5b or A killrush into AoA combo (AoA combos after counterhit A killrush). I think Dacid or someone else mentioned you want to be at mid range against Kanji, don't really play full screen because of his lightning bolt. You out maneuver this guy.. so take advantage of that. When paralyzed remember you have evade, short hop AND D weave, EX weave and killrushes

With killrush pressure I just try to condition with all my baiting so I can sneak in a B hook after killrush (he can throw you between it of course... try to get them used to seeing A hook) to start some type of pressure into more baiting. DO NOT do killrush-> A hook (-6) if they have awakening super, easy way to lose 60% >____>

Just figured this out yesterday. All 3 of these can be punished by kanji's sweep:

A Killrush-> D weave

A killrush-> A hook-> D weave

A killrush-> A hook-> jump back

Hopefully this doesn't sound like some repost and I'm some sort of help. Now I need to learn how to fight Liz and Yukiko... i'm COMPLETELY stumped. Liz is getting a little better but Yukiko... pffft.

@Robawtninja I wasn't aware that thunderfists had those properties, definitely excited to hear about that.. thanks for sharing :D

Ahaa no problem. I was excited when I stumbled upon that in lab as well. It'll definitely be used in higher level play when Kanji's actually know how to utilize shock better.

How do you deal with the ground command grab? I don't have many problems with his DP when I bait it, but when I get too close he somehow always manage to whack me with the grab sooner or later.