Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circuitous

[P4A] Kanji vs. Teddie: Like an oversized doll.

Finally found a really great Teddy I can run matches with, so I should be able to get some good matchup details soon.

First off, the obvious thing--When dealing with Teddy's unblockable awakening super, you have a couple different tools to keep yourself in the air and avoid the unblockable--Jump up and double jump into airdash, superjump into forward airdash (never backdash if possible, it won't hold you in the air as long iirc), super or double jump up and use J.C to 'hop' over it, or if you see it on screen and you're about to land on it because you messed up... use j.214 to hop over it and hope it works lol. If you messed up your timing however, like you whiffed your jump and it's STILL NOT COME OUT YET... use DP. it'll absorb the hit just fine and if it's taken forever for it to come out, it's probably about to pop out.

Lastly, be careful of him landing shock on you and then doing it. I'm actually not sure what item of Teddie's he can use to land shock, but he certainly did it on me, which reduces you to doing DP or roll to avoid the attack. Finally, if you know you're going to have to get hit by it, do know that if there's something on screen that you can get hit by (Meteors, something else), not teching makes the super combo afterwards for like... ~1600 damage total, which is much preferable to the raw 3000/3600. (I could be wrong on the damage thing, i could have been in awakening or something at the time, but it seemed kinda consistent. will test later)

Teddy's got a lot of good things going on with his air game. Be sure to know he doesn't have ANY overheads except for his AoA (Which can not only overhead, but cross up if he sets it up right), so you can block everything crouching. If he's got good spacing and playing an air game to try and set his items up right/get in on you, don't forget about 236CD to protect your airspace, because his size/speed is going to be VERY hard to hit with 5C/2B/whatever else.

Due to teddie's lack of high/low mixup, he's got to rely on other ways to reset you--one thing to watch out for is his throw is great for resetting combos/whatnot in the corner, so be ready to tech at any time in block/hit strings, but especially in the corner.

(This post was written at like 7am so i'll try to check it later to make sure I didn't say anything too dumb in a few hours)

Oil drum isn't a real block string, you can r action out of it on reaction to teddie's overhead and you're likely to get hurt if you try to IB it. When your options are limited (Shocked, getting up, Unblockable dynamite is above you) DP the unblockable super, you shouldn't get hit by it unless you tech into it badly or something it is pretty avoidable in on reaction in almost any situation. Don't get hit by oil drum, if you do burst the all out attack. Huge damage coming your way.

236D/CD catches teddies drill claws if you block them or are far enough away.

Don't get wall bounced in the corner, this means being careful not to get CH by bat, not to get thrown and not to randomly get hit by Kintouki douji when near the corner.

Item order is not random and keeps its place through rounds, memorize it.

I'm pretty sure it is;

Green robot

20 SP drink

Freezing ice

Dynamite parachute (unblockable)

Oil Drum

Smoke bomb

Fireworks (bounces up and down very quickly)

Thunder drum, calls a lightning strike where it lands which shocks.

Rage drink, heals like 1k, but can't block while raged.

Pinwheel boomerangs in a over then under arc

Red robot

Poison curry

Buckets

The main problem with oil drum is Teddie gets a free high/low and cross up mix up if you block it on the ground. Try to avoid it without accidentally jumping into the dynamite. If you end up blocking it, get ready for cross up quick escape, AoA, a cross up AoA.

Try to remember wherever he stands when he does his awakening unblockable super, cause Kanji can actually blow up the recovery when most characters can't. I've been hitting people with 236C and 236CD a lot afterwards, and I haven't seen someone dodge it yet. I think you can actually nail him before he manages to take air actions.

Also, I think R Action is a really big tool in this matchup. I mean, you can say that for a lot of things and matchups, but I've fought a fair amount of good, very legitimate teddies... who just leave themselves open to getting hit by it at times, lol. Just keep it around to help deal with those nice pokes of his.