Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circuitous

[P4A] Kanji vs. Yukiko: If only we had F.D.B.

Well, I don't know what to do, but I know a couple things to not do.

J.214X is really bad against her because she has a really good anti air which she can combo off of and is a crouching move. Even if she reacts to slow to punish before you get there she should still crouch in time to be safe.

Up close her normals are faster than your slow ones and out range your 'fast' ones, any and every mistake should put you pretty much full screen again so don't even try to hit her at the range of her melee normals.

Build meter from further away and slowly inch in, IB so it won't be bad, if you are close and feel like she is gonna use a normal use 214C+D to catch her for it.

Punish R action with 2B it should CH and your go to combos should be:

CH 2B>5C>236B>5AA>236C

CH 2B>5C>236B>5A/2A>5B>2B>236C

That's about all I can say at the moment which isn't much.

Build meter from further away and slowly inch in, IB so it won't be bad, if you are close and feel like she is gonna use a normal use 214C+D to catch her for it.

Punish R action with 2B it should CH and your go to combos should be:

CH 2B>5C>236B>5AA>236C

CH 2B>5C>236B>5A/2A>5B>2B>236C

That's about all I can say at the moment which isn't much.

Every time I try to be patient in this match she manages to heal then protect herself before I can get in. I might not know the fastest way to punish that from full screen, but I feel like I have no real options.

Every time I try to be patient in this match she manages to heal then protect herself before I can get in. I might not know the fastest way to punish that from full screen, but I feel like I have no real options.
Try not to get knocked full screen as often, but if that's all she does then you can get a lot closer to her a lot easier than if she was throwing crap at you.

I wish Yukiko's would do that more often because the life they gain isn't worth giving me another shot at half screen.

Well, I don't know what to do, but I know a couple things to not do.

J.214X is really bad against her because she has a really good anti air which she can combo off of and is a crouching move. Even if she reacts to slow to punish before you get there she should still crouch in time to be safe.

Up close her normals are faster than your slow ones and out range your 'fast' ones, any and every mistake should put you pretty much full screen again so don't even try to hit her at the range of her melee normals.

j.214a/b/ab can be great to punish her persona moves if you make her whiff them at neutral. like, 5c? lots of recovery after the active frames, and she's left standing for them. more importantly, grabbing her with supergrab/214c/d/j.214A/B/AB is the best way to deal with her fire pillar supers if it isn't in a combo. while it can be awkward to punish depending on spacing, she leaves herself open and standing the whole time, and while the fire covers the whole screen + is guarenteed after startup, the instant you touch her with previously mentioned moves, you are invinc as long as you are beating on her and dodge the whole thing.

up close her normals are not faster than yours in the slightest lol. her 5a is awful and her 2a is only 7 frames, with your 5a being 6, and your grab being 15. She's forced to resort to 2A in order to poke out of gaps in your blockstring or DP due to this. if you know she will mash, you can actually 236A to beat her 2a clean for a 2.2ish punish off of CH 236A and dp is easily punishable on reaction to the startup guard frames in your blockstrings. honestly she's the best character in teh game for kanji to blockstring BECAUSE of her slow normals; 236A is -3 but the only thing she has that can stop kanjis' 5a after it is 2a, and as previously mentioned, you can beat it if she relies on it too much. AS A RESULT Kanji's usual game of 5aa, 5aa jump cancels/iads forward, 5aa 5b (mixup) 5aa 5b 5a, with occasional 5cs and 236A/Bs thrown in to extend and make them nervous about an incoming grab are much stronger vs her, as she has to rely on DP a lot more than most.

as i just mentioned it I'll get to it now: dp is easy to punish. on wakeup if you are 5aing her you can just cancel 5aa into 5C FC. in fact you can just stand there and it won't hit you unless you are POINT BLANK lol. unless you're point blank your punish will always be whatever normals (hopefully 5aa) into 5C, and the rest of the time just cancel into DP.

yukiko seems to rely on 5aa in her blockstrings a fair bit if she's point blank, you can IB the first hit to DP the second one or supergrab super, 236236a, whatever.

you can actually use hop to go over her low fire projectile but they can detonate it whenever they want by pushing a button, so careful.

once you're stuck in the PERSONA BLOCKSTRING VORTEX it's really important to keep track of how she extends the blockstring: after 5c 2c she has to use various things to extend, like the fire pillar, 5D, fans/pillar with her 'persona flies up and lands on you', etc etc. punish accordingly, 5b the 5D, hop the fire pillar, jump block the fans, etc etc. be careful of her agi projectiles however (fire rings that hang in the air) as she can make them detonate whenever she wants. also, note? they can cover 4/5/6D by throwing a 4/5/6 fan after it in order to make you block or get CH if you try to punish the persona. if they make the fan and the persona hit at the same time you can use 5B to beat both at once.

she can use fire break (her move to make her next fire attack unblockable) to end a blockstring or oki into an unblockable starter which is sillydumb. if she blockstrings you at range with her persona with fire break activated you have to guard cancel the persona before she can get to the fire attack as far as I know. she can also use it ot make an agi hanging over your wakeup spot unblockable and hit you once you tech, I'm not entirely sure how to deal with it. (roll? super? idk. just not blocking or dp!)

restricting her air movement is very important as well, don't forget 236CD exists once you get her in a position where she's very likely to jump back and toss a fan.

FINALLY BE CAREFUL ABOUT DOING OKI ON HER WAKEUP IF SHE HAS IK AVAILABLE LOL. If you're doing something dumb like run up BD, 5C on her wakeup for god knows whatever reason like I've done her IK is actually fast enough to whiff punish you. ;w;

Just found something really bizarre. Doing meaty 5A > 236D will make you dodge Yukiko's furious action for some odd reason, so long as you're not right on top of her. Reliable enough off of an Added Cruel Attack. Since 236D recovers so damn fast you go for CH, unfortunately you can't use FC because Take-Mikazuchi is already in use.

Also worth noting that 236D can counter her Furious Action, looking for possible setups now....

Just found something really bizarre. Doing meaty 5A > 236D will make you dodge Yukiko's furious action for some odd reason, so long as you're not right on top of her. Reliable enough off of an Added Cruel Attack. Since 236D recovers so damn fast you go for CH, unfortunately you can't use FC because Take-Mikazuchi is already in use.

Also worth noting that 236D can counter her Furious Action, looking for possible setups now....

if you stay at the spacing 236a/b at the end of a combo leaves you at or slightly further back, you can just 5aa and 5c on reaction for an FC CH rather than being overcomplicated like that. similarly if you think a dp is coming you can just go for 2b or 5AA with good spacing and hit her with 5C once you hit the guard frames.

if you stay at the spacing 236a/b at the end of a combo leaves you at or slightly further back, you can just 5aa and 5c on reaction for an FC CH rather than being overcomplicated like that. similarly if you think a dp is coming you can just go for 2b or 5AA with good spacing and hit her with 5C once you hit the guard frames.

Yeah, I was wondering if something like that would work. If you look at the hitboxes of both you can see why it happens. Kanji stands up straighter and it shrinks his horizontal hitbox. I just did this on accident during a long set with Strawberry, then started using it consciously and it was working for me.

Here's a vid of our fight:

At 9s Take-Mikazuchi does something weird which lets me use 5B safely, I don't get a combo on it though

Around 2:15 is more 236D weirdness. I do the super on accident... (fucking auto combos)

I just tested 2B 5C and 236D off of 5A in Training. The theory being you just 5A'ed her and noticed she's doing DP. 2B never works (after a 5A), 5C works only at long ranges, if you're closer Take-Mikazuchi gets hit by it and messes you up. 236D works at fairly close ranges but doesn't get you a FC. And counter-DP does exactly what you'd expect, of course. 5C works fine off of a 236A/B oki so that's the good option for that.

Doing 2B on oki can lead to a really good situation where her Furious Action guards it, but you're allowed to then cancel in 5C for a FC. This is probably what I'd recommend most in this situation. She'll either just block it, which leads to normal mix-up stuff, or you'll net yourself a guaranteed FC without committing yourself to risk.

On a different subject about this matchup....

Another thing that helped me a lot was using 2D as a sort of projectile wall to allow myself to approach her. Look at the start of 2nd round on that vid for an example (I do the second 5D on accident). 2D pops everything Yukiko has at long range, fans, persona (even the D version has to fly across the screen), and it even pops her low projectile. Obviously if you can get away with it you should go for 5D/jD instead but I find those often don't come out in time to stop her Persona smacking me. Best time to do it is whenever Yukiko is putting distance between you and you've got a moment to do something. Set up the D and use it as a screen to let yourself run forward. A really nice bonus about doing this is that Yukiko can't pass through the lightning in the air, which means she'd have to Evasive Action it on the ground, which sets you up for a grab (a normal grab, because Take-Mikazuchi is busy doing projectiles)