Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chazmobile

[P4A] Yosuke Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

Protip: Needs moar Sukukaja and repeating Tentarafoo panics. :v:

But srsly, I wasn't seeing enough use of his air tricks and Orgia punishing from Yosuke there. Step up, Senpai.

Protip: Needs moar Sukukaja and repeating Tentarafoo panics. :v:

But srsly, I wasn't seeing enough use of his air tricks and Orgia punishing from Yosuke there. Step up, Senpai.

My apologies, it was like my 4th or 5th proper session with P4U so I can assure you there will be rapid improvements once us Europeans actually get the game.

Thanks for the tips.

me and a friend playing in a new. im petty much a beginner here so any tips and criticism is appreciated. any thing i should work on?

^ I'd say just get more familiar with your attacks, what links into what, what won't combo, stuff like that. I saw lots of drops cause you did B Dash Spring instead of A, drops because you needed to buffer a dash after a jump in, and a couple mechanics misunderstandings. After that, we can give you even better advice.

Hello, from Philippines. This is my latest footage. My other matches can be found on the channel as well. Black Yosuke with Blue Jiraiya. I'm pretty weak at this so criticism will be really helpful since nobody plays Yosuke here other than 2 of us. Been playing since release. Things I'm currently having problems now:

5b > microdash 5a pressure.

5b > 2c frametrap. Some still get away with dping, I don't know why

Aegis, Yu, Mitsuru, Kanji matchups

Neutral game

Blocking overheads with stick lol

Your 5B stuff you're having trouble with from what I can see: you need to get a better feel for when the move actually ends and use the buffer to buffer in your dash or throw the 2C in. If they get away with pushing a button then you timed it wrong. Work on that and aside from that, you play a little bit like I do.

Something I'll note is try to master following your opponent after they tech Kunai so you can get a 2B combo.

Speaking of air combos, you can get a Kunai in there at the end of all the ones you did and Garudyne after that for more damage.

5b > microdash 5a pressure.

5b > 2c frametrap. Some still get away with dping, I don't know why

I'm going to show my lack of knowledge of fighting game concepts, but isn't the nature of a frame trap that it is vulnerable to dps? If you give the opponent a 2 frame window to do a move, everything will be a counterhit except a dp, right?

Not only DPs, but any move that is invincible on start-up, if by the moment the active frames are happening the move is invincible then it will not give any fucks and probably will counter hit the player who did the frame trap.

I'm going to show my lack of knowledge of fighting game concepts, but isn't the nature of a frame trap that it is vulnerable to dps? If you give the opponent a 2 frame window to do a move, everything will be a counterhit except a dp, right?

Yes, you are correct. The purpose of that is orienting people of the 5b > microdash 5a first and it's vulnerabilities to a poke or dp then you introduce the 5b > dl2c to stuff pokes with a Fatal Counter. If they dp, they'll hit the persona and not Yosuke, considering you're at enough distance for a supposedly microdash 5a(max range) pressure reset after the 5b. If they respect it, you can continue pressure with 5d. So I guess baiting DP's with 5b > dl2c is matchup specific and wont work for Naoto, Teddie, Chie(?), Mitsuru(?), S/Labrys DPs

...Thanks also for making me realize why people get away via dp after the 2c

Its definitely kinda cold in here. Anyways here's a video of me vs Abel. Now are there things I'm doing wrong, need to work on, do more or anything? I appreciate any and all critiques and compliments as needed. Enjoy ^.^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-91cs2_u_M

Also a quick question. How do I embed videos like the Yosuke's above. I am totally clueless on that. Q.Q

Alright, now before I get started, I'm a decent Yosuke too, so what I have to say isn't absolute, so probably the other yosuke's can give better feedback, but here goes.

Vid #1: 00:17, I noticed you were autopiloting into 5C off an air hit. You have the three hits of 5B to confirm that you have juggled them into D Nails, I mean Yosuke kunai. (God damn Bang terms)

00:18, You did a pretty nice conversion of your fatal into the 4.6K beginner combo, which is great for keeping it simple, but you should practice his 5K meterless combo (FC 2C > 236B > J2C > 2A > 2C > J236A~A > Delay J236A~A > Delay J2C > 2A > 2B > 2C > air stuff) I keep messing up that combo sometimes, but grinding training mode for that combo usually helps

00:34, You crafty man, DPing for a burst bait after a fatal 2C... I must stealz it. Also, I saw you attempt a wake up 2C during Mitsuru's cuop. Please don't. It hurts if it hits you. Just DP it :D

01:10, I see so many Yosuke's online keeping on moonsaulting over others after dash spring is blocked. If that mitsuru learned that you get a nice counter airthrow by jumping back, that would hurt you. Later in the vid, I seen mitsuru DP it, which certain characters can do successfully. bonus note regarding coups, you tried to 2C after being hit by the A coup, but that 2C isn't as fast as a trusty 5A or just blocking.

VIDEO NUMBAH 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALU: Well, as far as I see, you were pretty on point. Good job. Buuuut, you should be familiar with Yosuke's glide ability. Its pretty fun to do and leads to some completely awesome mixups if utilized correctly. Its also used as a means of saving money on gas during long trips. And gliding increases mobility so much.

OVERALL PERSONAL ASSESMENT SUMMARY THINGY STUFF!!!: From what I've seen, you were good with what you know with Yosuke, but you don't nearly know all of his more favorable options, such as gliding. All I can say is, go into training mode and just glide around, and work on knowing the enemies position when you get a confirm. We can play sometime soon and I can help you improve your Yosuke via dumbest mirror in the game.

Sorry if I sounded mean during any of these points, I only wanted to help q.q

Fucking everyone stealing my Jin colors these days. >_>

Wow thanks for all the info greekangel you really helped talk about good feedback but your right i dont glide at all i always forget to and i havent really mastered it yet im definitly going to the lab and practice gliding also thanks for the combo thanks again for the feedback i look forward to playing you online

Its definitely kinda cold in here. Anyways here's a video of me vs Abel. Now are there things I'm doing wrong, need to work on, do more or anything? I appreciate any and all critiques and compliments as needed. Enjoy ^.^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-91cs2_u_M

Also a quick question. How do I embed videos like the Yosuke's above. I am totally clueless on that. Q.Q

'

You can embed videos by going to advanced and using the video button. Alternatively, you can do <video> </video> tags.

Here's my advice:

Be more aware of when you get a hit for pickups. At 0:20 you get a counterhit j.AA but no j.2B, jumpcancel air combo. Pretty much always be ready to confirm into a combo.

In the comments you said that you were focusing on gliding in that match, so I understand that. However, you should do more organic glides. at 1:00 you glide over him when he does Kill Rush and could have gotten a fat punish, but you were commited during that glide to Moonsault away no matter what. When you glide, you should pay attention to your opponent's movements so you can decide what to do after. That'll help you a lot.

When you jump in the air, you don't have to keep holding forward. Start jumping, then immediately going to 4 to block unless you're nowhere near your opponent and are going to glide. You get hit by waaayyyy too much things in air to air situations, especially Caesar slashes.

Don't forget you can B+D raw Akihiko Maziodyne and you'll go completely through it.

4:53 You had meter for Garudyne and you should've used it there to get the most damage before he went into awakening.

8:46 How did you still get hit by that? Come on, man.

You always grab after A Run. You need to mix it up, especially against Akihiko who can actually beat you out of that with his 5A. Only run up grab versus slow 2A/5As. Versus fast ones, don't move just tap A and go into a pressure string. Doing the same trick over and over again, blah blah you know the drill.

You're gonna need a new Sukukaja combo, too. XD Take another look at the Sukucombo video.

Thank you milln. I guess I need to check out the sukukaja vid every now and then to pick up on better combos. And to answer your question about that AoA hitting, I had no idea that it was still active so I didn't block it. THE WONDERS OF FRAME DATA

Thank you milln. I guess I need to check out the sukukaja vid every now and then to pick up on better combos. And to answer your question about that AoA hitting, I had no idea that it was still active so I didn't block it. THE WONDERS OF FRAME DATA

No prob. I forgot to mention that you'll also want to use 5DD and j.D more as an oki and approach tool. I don't see a whole lot of that going on in your example video. =O

(other vids on the same channel)

Hello guys. I asked for criticism back then and I hope you guys will still comment on this one. I'm having trouble what areas I should improve on
Things that are on my mind right now:

Options after moonsault > kunai ender?
My execution for FC combo, Dash Spring > OMC > j.a and lowest glide > j.a are erratic
I keep on j.d-ing even on matchups that I feel I shouldn't (e.g Aegis)
I should j.b instead of j.a if I decide to superjump > glide to cover my landing
How do you escape shlabrys unblockable setup? ( torowa ;_; )

Hello guys. I asked for criticism back then and I hope you guys will still comment on this one. I'm having trouble what areas I should improve on

Things that are on my mind right now:

Options after moonsault > kunai ender?

My execution for FC combo, Dash Spring > OMC > j.a and lowest glide > j.a are erratic

I keep on j.d-ing even on matchups that I feel I shouldn't (e.g Aegis)

I should j.b instead of j.a if I decide to superjump > glide to cover my landing

How do you escape shlabrys unblockable setup? ( torowa ;_; )

I don't feel like I'm the best candidate to provide criticism, but no one else is saying anything, so...

You already addressed it, but get the execution on your FC comboes down; in my experience, as Yosuke players get better, they land fewer and fewer (i.e. they throw out fewer random) FC 2Cs, so it's really important to make them count.

You really seem to like Torowa's 5D 2B IAD crossup glide 5DD mixup, but a little too much; your opponents were getting wise to it and getting out with little damage/for free after a while, by either eating the 5DD non-CH (in which case you were on the ground and couldn't chase), or rolling out (getting full-screen, which isn't terrible for a failed mixup, but you lose the advantage). You always seemed to go for the left/right, when they seemed to be respecting it enough to try something else. Give your opponents a situation where they have to guess; IAD + Moonsault for a double crossup, throw bait, occasionally roll to mess up their timing, or if you read a roll, backstep and at least get a CH grab.

Shabrys Command grab setups are beaten by varying your techs; the 'normal' setup is beaten by doing a delayed tech, but Shabrys players afaik can beat that by delaying the command grab, which is then beaten by instant teching, etc. It's a dangerous setup that still works because there's no guaranteed way to get out of it, besides wakeup Gold Burst.

Thank you for the feedback

I don't feel like I'm the best candidate to provide criticism, but no one else is saying anything, so...

You already addressed it, but get the execution on your FC comboes down; in my experience, as Yosuke players get better, they land fewer and fewer (i.e. they throw out fewer random) FC 2Cs, so it's really important to make them count.

I can land them on practice mode but I really choke on them mid match. I really hate the pickup part after the 2nd j2c. Will try my best to improve my executions for these ones

You really seem to like Torowa's 5D 2B IAD crossup glide 5DD mixup, but a little too much;

Thank you for pointing that out. I do like it a lot to the point I autopilot it. And it's also because that's what I've been trying to master lately, especially the lowest glide > ja part so I have forgotten all variations of post 5d pressure/mixup. I haven't been mixing things up (roll and throw tech baiting, etc) lately as well because of that. I'll make it a point to mix things up on my next local casuals.

Thank you again for the feedback

You need to work on hitconfirms, especially off j.C CH. You could have OMCed a throw to kill at the end of one of the rounds, but you didn't and then Kanji killed you, lol :(

Don't go near Kanji unless he's already blocking j.D.

You need to work on hitconfirms, especially off j.C CH.

I appreciate for pointing this out. I need to know when to 5a5c > SB tackle or just straight to 5c > SB tackle after CH j.C (airborne). I thought I nailed the ch 2b (airborne) > 5b > SB tackle, but it seems I still need to work on that as well.

here's a recent match between me an colpevole. Can you guys tell me what you think about how i played, what i need to improve on and what not.

i tried to play a bit more safe since i was playing col so i wasn't gliding as much because i didn't want to fly into a counter hit

just want some feedback. damn lol hopefully it wont take days

Alright, I don't feel like I'm at the level where I should be critiquing, but apparently the Yosuke forums are pretty dead, and/or better players than I refuse to comment. Here goes. Sorry for the wait.

Let me say first that I feel like you're playing the matchup a little wrong. Imo, Yosuke should try the Chie matchup like a faster, harder Akihiko; both characters can't move around and control the screen like Yosuke can, but Chie has the speed to catch him compared to Aki. Similarly, neither character can force Yosuke to sit still until they get a knockdown or they're in Awakening with 50 meter. The rounds you lost, I feel like you were fighting Colpevole in his ideal range, and the one you won, you were forcing him to approach you a little more.

0:41, you messed up the throw OMC combo by adding a 5C on a non-CH, and I feel like it probably cost you the round, especially since you effectively cornered yourself. I also feel like you could have Burst, either OMB on the throw or blue burst when the vortex started, and taken that round. You certainly had the resources to run it back and take that last 20~% health from Chie.

1:45, Why that sweep? Maybe you know something I don't, but it doesn't seem worth it to sweep Chie very often at neutral, since I don't think you can low-profile anything but 5A?

2:20, airturn glide 5D probably would have given you enough time to block that IAD approach, or maybe even antiair.

Around 2:45 or so, you were on the cusp of Awakening, one Persona card left, 70~ seconds on the clock. Given the situation, I think it might have been better to sacrifice Jiraiya to get in a FA or two, hit Awakening, then run away while you got your cards back. You would have had 100+ meter and your Burst to put out big damage if you got the opportunity, plus the Awakening damage reduction (for what good that does against Chie :arg: ).

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can provide better advice. You both played very well, so I don't have very much criticism I can give.

Alright, I don't feel like I'm at the level where I should be critiquing, but apparently the Yosuke forums are pretty dead, and/or better players than I refuse to comment. Here goes. Sorry for the wait.

Let me say first that I feel like you're playing the matchup a little wrong. Imo, Yosuke should try the Chie matchup like a faster, harder Akihiko; both characters can't move around and control the screen like Yosuke can, but Chie has the speed to catch him compared to Aki. Similarly, neither character can force Yosuke to sit still until they get a knockdown or they're in Awakening with 50 meter. The rounds you lost, I feel like you were fighting Colpevole in his ideal range, and the one you won, you were forcing him to approach you a little more.

0:41, you messed up the throw OMC combo by adding a 5C on a non-CH, and I feel like it probably cost you the round, especially since you effectively cornered yourself. I also feel like you could have Burst, either OMB on the throw or blue burst when the vortex started, and taken that round. You certainly had the resources to run it back and take that last 20~% health from Chie.

1:45, Why that sweep? Maybe you know something I don't, but it doesn't seem worth it to sweep Chie very often at neutral, since I don't think you can low-profile anything but 5A?

2:20, airturn glide 5D probably would have given you enough time to block that IAD approach, or maybe even antiair.

Around 2:45 or so, you were on the cusp of Awakening, one Persona card left, 70~ seconds on the clock. Given the situation, I think it might have been better to sacrifice Jiraiya to get in a FA or two, hit Awakening, then run away while you got your cards back. You would have had 100+ meter and your Burst to put out big damage if you got the opportunity, plus the Awakening damage reduction (for what good that does against Chie :arg: ).

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can provide better advice. You both played very well, so I don't have very much criticism I can give.

I can pretty much sum it up as that, thank you, Outlaw. XD

Now if I can add in my own critiques, you probably should have played a bit more aggressively. I mean, you only have 8300 life, just go wild and get in some wacky mixups or something. I see you play a bit too passively and it kinda bothers me.

00:16, that was actually a pretty dandy pick up there. It seemed kinda cool so I highlighted it

00:21 - 00:40, those were some pretty effective strings and oki, making the opponent stay in the corner like that is exciting. Special props to backdashing the roll in order to catch it

00:41, Ok, you could hold forward after the OMC, or rapid (again, BlazBlue talking), and then just 2C in order for the combo to actually work. Believe me, I know how tight the timing is when you add 5C.

01:45, Why, oh why, oh dear god WHY did you sweep in neutral? It just kinda feels stupid to do that against Chie. Mitsuru is a different story, but do NOT sweep in neutral vs Chie. That is just begging you to get killed by Chie.

02:20, I agree with Outlaw on this, airturn glide JD would have given you more time to react appropriately to Chie's Kix cereal attacks.

And again, at 02:45, Outlaw sums it up best, and I'm gonna hammer down this point right now. SUKUKAJA, SUKUKAJA, INSTALL! Trust me, a Yosuke who learns how to install is probably A.) One of THE most annoying opponents in the game, B.) Gives extreme pressure, mixups, and a special cancellable J2C/D, C.) You get some of the fastest normals in the game, and you can go zippy pow zoom zoom boom across the screen like driving a Redbull X2011 down a goddamn autobahn, and D.) The combo's give you time to set up JD as air tech pressure and the combo's are flashy as hell *O*

FINARU SUMMARY TYPE BULLSHIT THINGY WHATEVER-MAJIG THE SEQUEL PART THREE ACT FOUR!!: You were playing good for the most part, especially that godlike pressure in the first round, Oh My God that was amazing. However, you made a few slip ups like the throw combo and probably the error that irritated me to no end, SWEEPING in neutral vs Chie.... Man, that just annoyed the hell out of me. But just build upon what you did right, play a bit more aggressively and keep yourself hyper, happy, and where the fuck am I going with this sentence again? O.O

Well, I apologize for sounding harsh in the critique, but I just couldn't help but get a little miffed at some of the more "questionable" maneuvers you did. You know I love everyone here lots <3.

Sincerely,

GreekAngel :ballYO:

Why the fuck did I type this as a letter? O.O and god dammit, people stealing my Jinsuke colors! They be mine! And Good!