Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LM_Akira

Order-Sol vs. Eddie

Ogawa considers this matchup 6-4 in Eddie's favour (it will probably feel a lot worse if you're playing a good Eddie :vbang: lol).

With Little Eddie/Shadow out it's going to be hard work fighting Eddie, try to take out Shadow with any chance you get or turtle and try to wait out Shadow's bar. Without Shadow, Eddie is weak to your close range pressure (once you get in). His blocking sprite is HUGE so you can crank his guard bar quite nicely with fuzzy guard type shenanigans and CC lockdown, especially in the corner. Watch for his normal throw, it has big range (49 dots). His 2S, 5S(f) and drills stop you simply running him down and his 2HS and 6P function as good anti air.

Shadow moves;

- P is not really much to worry about as far as I can tell. It has invincibility and advances Shadow a little bit but it's not something to be too frightened of as it won't lead to much.

- K (Mawaru) you will probably see a lot in block strings/combos/Shadow Gallery loops etc and is a 2-hit claw which vacuums on hit or block (see later how to deal with it).

- S (Nobiru) controls space directly in front of Eddie very well and causes wall bounce on hit.

- HS ("Puddle") will only be used in certain setups and needs to be guarded low. If you're caught by the puddle, Eddie gets a free combo and knockdown.

- D ("Spit ball") overhead and frequently used in unblockables.

A few unblockables of note;

- Eddie's 5K and Shadow's Spit ball

- Drill FRC IAD j.S/j.HS

- FB Drill and Shadow's Spit ball

- Command throw into Shadow's Puddle (or a jumping move when you're trying to block Shadow's Puddle)

For a comprehensive guide to Eddie's unblockables and how to deal with them, see Teyah's post here:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=179468&postcount=5

Eddie's 5K is a low and his 6K (the slow claw move) is an overhead, you'll see these frequently in blockstrings that use Shadow's Mawaru. Some points about dealing with block strings that utilise Mawaru:

Originally posted by Teyah:

There's a 3-frame gap between both hits of the Shadow K attack, 6F if you IB. Some possible and practical solutions to get out of a straight 2 hits of Mawaru include:

- IB, backdash - 6F timing, time it late so you don't get caught by the tail end of the 2nd hit

- IB, 5K (should kill the shadow) - 3F timing

- Regular block, backdash - 3F timing

- Regular block / IB, Storm Viper - 3/6F timing

- IB, FD jump - 5F timing (~2-3F timing to actually get out of range)

- SB - 2F timing to Slashback successfully, 13F to do whatever you want after

As a general tip: Eddie cannot summon the shadow for free during any pressure string, only during Oki or after FB drill. You can always jump away or backdash if you see him start to summon. I play this fight like I'm fighting anyone that is capable of outpoking/zoning HOS; I sit back and Charge. Eddie has a hard time advancing without the shadow to cover him, as j.K loses to j.P and his ground pokes are inferior to yours. With shadow out, but not being pressured, your options are either escape and wait out the meter or try to kill it. 2P/2S get the killing done, and jumping/SJ'ing leads to a decent escape. Shadow S is an okay anti-air, as it is invincible while it is active, but you don't have to FD in the air to guard it and IB'ing it means a free airdash/double jump escape. Eddie has an awkward time anti-airing you. His only truely effective anti-air (2HS) must be thrown out early or risk losing to j.HS, and 6P/6HS lose to j.P. Jumping air-throw is a great option for him, as it allows him to start the fun times, so don't get TOO crazy with the jumping, but have some fun pressuring the poor guy. If it's not 5S(f), 5HS, 6HS, or 5D you can Fafnir it. You can always reversal SV the puddle unblockable, just watch for the cross-up j.S. The HS drill FRC IAD unblockable doesn't work on HOS, and the drill + shadow D unblockable can be jumped.

As a general tip: Eddie cannot summon the shadow for free during any pressure string, only during Oki or after FB drill. You can always jump away or backdash if you see him start to summon.

From far away, you can jump away from any poke -> shadow summon fairly easily (and you should), but this is not the case up close: Eddie can do summon -> Nobiru, which will be blocked and force you back to the ground. Backdashing can also be risky, since you can get caught by Mawaru if Eddie just summons into that instead.

You can always reversal SV the puddle unblockable, just watch for the cross-up j.S. The HS drill FRC IAD unblockable doesn't work on HOS, and the drill + shadow D unblockable can be jumped.

You can reversal out of the puddle/far drill unblockables, but Eddie will land before your reversal comes out and will block it, allowing him a free punish. You also can't FD jump out of the (FB) drill + shadow D UB if it is timed properly, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying the Drill FRC IAD UB doesn't work on HOS. For a more detailed list of Eddie's UBs and how to escape them, please see sections 10.1 + 10.2 of the AC Eddie guide.

Summoning with Nobiru instead of Mawaru is quite a commitment; if they don't jump you're kinda' boned pressure-wise. Not something to really rely on unless you *know* they're going to jump, and even then jumping IB still leads to an escape. However, my advise was tailored to summoning with Mawaru, so your point still stands. Also, I'm just going by my personal experiences, in which I've never been hit by a HS drill FRC IAD j.S unblockable. Maybe it was spacing issues, or timing issues, but I've never had to reversal backdash to avoid it. Not name dropping or anything, but I'd like to think the Eddies I've fought had a handle on all their unblockable executions. 'Eh, maybe not. While the best option against unblockables is always a reversal backdash, reversal SV gives you more options/less damage/less stun as opposed to the other option: eating the unblockable. A baited SV gives Eddie either a 6P or 2HS, both CH if HOS ACs SV (pain yes, but can be stopped if HOS spends tension to FRC, so it's all rock/paper/scissors at that point). Other punishes (like waiting for HOS to land crouching) are susceptable to delay AC ruining the timing or just don't deal that much damage (jumping up and air throwing, for instance). Not trying to discredit any of your info/input, as it is very much appreciated. It's just nice to understand different sides to every situation.

Hey, no worries. It's true that it is tougher to land the IAD down j.S + far drill FRC UBs, but it is very doable with enough practice. And I also agree that using reversals to lessen damage is generally a good idea, unless the reversal leaves you in CH state (then you'll just get dizzied via 6P CH).

Summoning with Nobiru instead of Mawaru is quite a commitment; if they don't jump you're kinda' boned pressure-wise. Not something to really rely on unless you *know* they're going to jump, and even then jumping IB still leads to an escape.

If you summon with Nobiru, if it is blocked you can generally follow up with running 2S to Far Drill (or running 2P-2K if closer), then Mawaru, to begin shadow mixups. It's not really a big commitment at all, and is one of the preferred ways to go from blocked normal -> shadow mixup.

Jumping IB -> backdash can work for characters who get distance off the ground quickly (eg. May), but for most characters it doesn't work too well since you get caught by Nobiru fairly close to the ground and get pushed down to the ground or below minimum airdash range while still in blockstun. For a low/slow jumper like Hoss, jumping away is not too effective unless you are a decent distance away.

Not that this is eddie specific, but it fits with him as well as any one else: How do you build chage against characters with full screen presence? Just through brief manual charge and in block strings?

What full-screen presence? Without the shadow out, Eddie's range is only mid-screen. And with the shadow out, he can't get to you without moving it forward and risk you hitting it to remove the threat and his offense. Generally, it's safe for you to Manual Charge from long range against him; you can react to Eddie trying to advance, along with potentially dealing with the shadow in the process. Just learn the range(s) that Mawaru/Far Drill can hit you, and stop charging once he gets within them. Then you can opt to escape or potentially kill the shadow.

In my experiences it seems like eddie likes to eat alot of fafnir's when his shadow is out if he fucks up a shadow mix-up. Is this reliable when fighting more skilled Eddies or is it just at the fault of the Eddie player I'm facing?

Using Fafnir during Eddie's mix-up is pretty much a waste of tension. You trade your tension for getting rid of the shadow (as the shadow will more than likely take the hit and it's not cost-effective when there are tensionless options for removing it), and you allow Eddie to score a knockdown and start stalling for more shadow bar. If you're hitting him with Fafnir during his mix-up then the Eddie you're playing isn't spacing himself properly. During footsies, and with decent spacing, Eddie eats Fafnir quite often. Pretty much all of his 2 pokes (2P, 2K, etc.) give you a free CH. Aside from 5S(f), 5HS, 6HS, and 5D, his standing pokes are Fafnir bait as well. Also, as it's not really practical, mostly just amusing, you can trade Fafnir with all three drills (S, HS, D) on reaction. Both attacks hit CH, with you recovering before Eddie in all three situations. Not the best way to achieve an advantageous state, I'm sure. :v:

J.HS beats 2HS unless Eddie throws it out pre-emptively (ala Ky's 2HS), committing himself to anti-airing you.

Generally against a competent Eddie you will eat his 2H if he does it and you can't doublejump it because OS doesn't jump high enough. And I'm aware that's a post from nearly a year ago and its not the reason I'm posting now. Anyways, the important bits: Do not burst during mawaru loop, even if it hits. Wait till the unblockable and burst after being hit by that one after spotting Eddie's 6P or w/e else he plans to do. When DAAing during mawaru loop let it knockdown unless the combo will finish him. You can get a lot more out of the meaty than out of the direct conversion and techtraps, because if you convert directly, he's out of range for the techtraps. Failure to comply to the 2 points above will do you no good, Eddie regains his full meter for a fraction of the time and if you were stupid enough to charge him, you'll eat a nobiru. And if you were a bit smarter you'll guard the nobiru but end up in the mawaru loop instead. In short: you'll end up in the situation you were 2 seconds ago. If Eddie does a H-drill which you guarded and you spot an FRC, he's likely to IAD since that gains him a quick overhead. You can GB that IAD if he's late. If Eddie for any reason jumps in at you without drill cover you can GB him and if he's poking with j.K, which he's likely to do, you can shave off 200hp. Do not, under any circumstances, l2SV or l3SV Eddie outside combos, l2SV will have a CH state on recovery and l3SV is in CH state before the final kick which means 2H punishment will always be CH. You don't need anything beyond 2 hits anyways: one for little guy & one for big guy. Those are the important bits so far. Enjoy.