Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caer-caveral

Testament vs Eddie

I'll do my best to cover the Eddie matchup since I've been fighting against him a lot lately.

Generalities :

Well both characters are extremely powerful, though not in the same way. Testy has superior spacing while Eddie's pressure is arguably the best in the game. In this matchup, the first character to be knocked down has strong chances to lose the round, even though this is true for Eddie in particular. The matchup is pretty even in my opinion (5-5), but if you don't know how to approach Eddie or how to escape his pressure strings, then you will have very hard time to win.

Approach :

There are several things to take into account when you are far away from Eddie : the shadow, spikes and of course himself. A good use of those three factors from the Eddie player can make this part of the game really tricky for Testament which is quite unusual for him.

First, the safest place to be when fighting against Eddie is far enough so that he can't hit you with HS invite hell and you can hit him with S EXE (if you get a CH, it's time to go for pressure).

But a good Eddie will try to avoid such a situation and to place himself where you can't hit him with both EXE's. This is the ideal place for him, because it limits your ability to start pressure, and it allows him to get on your face really quickly after a whiffed EXE no matter he has the shadow out or not. You must not let this happen, and if it does happen just air backdash to go back to a more favorable distance if possible. And if you think an EXE will whiff, FRC is far from being a bad idea.

That said, let's move on to trapping. Webs placed just before falling from an aerial backdash while being far enough from Eddie are the safest traps you can put, so abuse it. It's always annoying for him. Don't set up trees unless you are at your "safest place". K skull is very useful to stop his aerial progression, while P skull limits the shadow's movement. Again, both have to be done far enough from Eddie.

Tk Badlands is really good against Eddie, as it will hit him if he is flying or doing invite hell. It's deceptive range will enable you to reach him in may situations, and the move is safe if blocked unless you land very close to him (in this case, he can punish with 2P, 2D). However if TK Badlands proves to be an useful tool, you have to use it sparingly as he can anticipate it with the shadow, and he can avoid it with break the law. jS and GD (if he is low enough) are safer ways to counter a flying-happy Eddie (though not as rewarding as TK BL), but watch out for the shadow's S (nobiru).

About nobiru, please be careful not to be CHed by this move because it almost means death. Never ever jump on Eddie when he has the shadow out or you'll eat a free CH nobiru. And don't even jump on him when he has no shadow out as 6P will own you anyway...

From my experience you can hardly do that on reaction, but a non-FRCed invite hell can be warranted, so keep that in mind if you are good at anticipating. And HS EXE is very useful against the shadow if it is close enough.

If for some reason Eddie manages to nail you with his shadow then it's your ass, and you will have to be very patient.

His pressure / okizeme

Well to be honest, there are very few things you can do to counter Eddie's pressure... Burst, DAA, mashing 2P, warrant, Nightmare Circular are all very bad ideas because the shadow will most likely eat the moves instead of Eddie. Even if you are good at blocking his mixups, his pressure will end with an unblockable and you'll lose 3/4 of your life...

You have to take advantage of his main pressure move's (mawaru, shadow K) weakness : if you IB the first hit, you have enough time to escape with a backdash. But there is a much better thing to try out : you can throw a HS EXE between the two hits of Mawaru after IBing the first hit, thus getting a free CH that is to say a free BL loop. This is really worth the training, so try to be consistent at IBing mawaru's first hit. This will make Eddie think two times after trying to pressure you with mawaru again, thus forcing him to use for example nobiru in his pressure strings, which will severely limit his options. In that case a good use of the FD will hurt his pressure badly.

On okizeme, you also have to be patient. If he uses mawaru, same as above, try to IB the first hit and make him regret it ! If he goes for the FB invite hell + Shadow D unblockable, you can do a reversal nightmare Circular to knock him down (you will be hit too but at least you won't be combo'ed). He can also go for safer okizemes like S invite hell > shadow P which you can't really do anything about...

Dealing with unblockables / burst usage

Unblockables are... unblockables so there is not much to say about it. But you have to know that good Eddies will rarely go for an unblockable on okizeme if you have a burst left. Keep your burst to escape all type of unblockables, it is a safety card if you don't manage to escape a pressure and he goes for a 22D+ Shadow D unblockable at the end... But be careful if he starts to anticipate your burst attempts. :gonk:

Also note that in most cases, shadow H + random aerial move and HS invite hell FRC > IAD S types of unblockables are not true unblockables. The low move will hit first 90% of the time, so try to block these unblockables by sliding very quickly from 1 to 4. This has very few chances to work, but it DOES work sometimes and it is better than doing nothing...

When you have the upper hand

Luckily enough, Eddie has very few tools to escape pressure, so you can put pressure on him in a very effective way, with few chances of being stopped. So when you can, just pressure him to death and do not let him escape.

His 632146HS super is his only wake up move, so watch out for it if he has 50% tension but remember that it will whiff if you're close enough. Also Eddie's DAA kinda sucks, but if he likes using it a lot, you can counter it thanks to the invicible frames of 6P. So using a lot of 6P's in unusal places of your pressure strings can be a good idea to counter a DAA-happy Eddie that has more than 50% tension left.

Always use high damaging knockdown combos in order to give him as few chances to escape as possible and to kill him as soon as possible. He will do the same for you anyway... But that's quite obvious so why the hell am I writing that ? :keke:

Specific combos

IMO Eddie is one of the trickiest characters in the game to BL loop, so your execution has to be faultless and TK BLs often have to be done as soon as possible.

This is the generic sideswitch combo I'm using against him (it works better than the classic, jK, jS, jHS variant from my experience) :

- 6P, S, 2D, HS EXE FRC, dash, cS, delay, JC, jK, jS, JC, jK, jS, jHS, 1 hit BL, HS, web, TK BL, P skull

Also instead of using the curse loop example that you can find on Youtube, I recommend using this one :

- throw, 6K (asap), BL, TK BL (asap), walk a bit, HS, BL, TK BL, short dash, 236P

Which is by far easier to perform IMO. ^^

Hey dream maker!!!! The web in the first combo you posted is not necessary. Other eddie's specific combos: 1: corner throw>5HS>web>dash jump>j.HS>j.D>BL>sideswitch>5HS>BL>P SKULL 2: (corner) 6P>5S>2D>HS EXE FRC>j.HS>j.D>BL>5HS>GD>5HS>BL> dash P SKULL 3: (3/4 of the screen) 6P>5S>2S>5HS>GD>5HS>GD>5HS>BL>P SKULL 4: like n.2 till 5HS---->web>dash jump>j.HS>j.D>BL>sideswitch>5HS>BL> P SKULL 5:like n.3 till second 5HS------> like n.4 after web. 6: (corner) D>homing jump>j.D>BL>land>5HS>GD>5HS>BL>P SKULL 7: like n.6 till 5HS----->web>dash jump>j.HS>j.D>BL>sideswitch>dash P SKULL 8: (testy in the corner) warrant>HS EXE FRC>j.HS>j.D>BL>5HS>GD>5HS>BL>P SKULL 9: like n.8 till 5HS>web>dash jump>j.K>j.S>j.HS>BL>sideswitch>5HS>BL>P SKULL Hope these combos are useful.:keke:

Thanks for that Dream Maker. I have far too little Eddie experience, but hopefully I can use this newfound knowledge to better myself. Nice to see you around here again, by the way. Something I'd like to add is that I find many Eddie players to go for a shadow summon after a blocked poke in the hopes of catching you in his pressure of eternal frustration. This is of course a bit bullshit as you can just backstep away here. However, you can also throw out an EXE that will either eat the shadow or ch Eddie. Has the advantage of getting rid of that pesky shadow immediately and the shadows hit (that you trade with) cancels your recovery to keep you safe from retaliation. But beware that if he's too close when he summons and opts for a nobire, it will trade and kill you. A more fun possibility is to do tk GD instead of the EXE. Works always against mawaru, and works against the others if the poke wasn't lvl 5 (i.e. HS). low tk will only eat the shadow during nobiru though, but a high tk will work every time. This nets you a counter hit, leading to 230-250 damage with 50% tension. Example combo: tk GD ch > HS EXE FRC > jHS > jD > BL(1) > 6K > HS > BL > tk BL Actually, it is also possible to do this at the usual blockstring-ending unblockable (i.e. 2P > 2HS > FB drill + shadow D). Where you usually do IB on the 2HS and then jump, you can instead do a tk BL for the same punish as mentioned above. Timing is tight though, and it's risky as hell. Just thought I'd mention it. Admit it would feel good to punish that darn unblockable with 250 dmg in return =) As I said though, haven't played much against him so it's mainly theory. @holy diver Also, regaring the net at the end of the sideswitch, it is as you said not always needed, but it still serves a purpose. If you do HS > net instead of HS > BL, you remove the need to hitconfirm the HS. If you mistime it, you might get it as OTG, and if you follow with a whiffed BL, you will be severely punished. Also, if you didn't get the sideswitch, you'll get nothing or a HS EXE (if your input for the net is too wild, like mine =p), both preferable to the alternative, a P-skull. The net also ensures knockdown even after long combos. For example in your combo 9, I find getting a knockdown on Eddie without it very hard, but with a net it's guaranteed. Finally, the damage difference rarely exceeds 3 dmg anyway, unless you got a really good starter.

WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Caer! Finally I've learned the utility of the net in combos! However, I will continue posting character specific combos. I hope they will be useful to all testament comunity. Testament is my main since reload so I really look forward to improve. just a stupid little question: is it good to attack immediately eddie in the beginning of a match since he is "weak" under pressure???

Wow, I didn't know that it was possible to escape the unblockable by IBing 2HS, I'll have to try that. :yaaay: Holy diver : I don't know what you mean by attacking immediatly, if it's about throwing out a first move, then 6K and HS EXE are your best choices to start the round IMO. 6K leads to BL loop on aerial hit and HS EXE will stuff almost all his pokes attempts and sometimes even his backdash, and it gives you a knockdown on CH.

Wow, I didn't know that it was possible to escape the unblockable by IBing 2HS, I'll have to try that. :yaaay:

Yeah I learned a little of that kind of stuff from AtTheGates (thanks man!) at the last tourney, but unfortunately I never had the chance to practice it there, and now I'm down to no Eddie-plaing opponents again. =/

It should be noted that if you do attempt to IB the first hit of mawaru and BD or counter the second, that if he sticks any poke (5k, 6k, 2p) inbetween those hits, you'll get CH and still lose a good chunk of health. Now if the Eddie player doesn't know this, rape him for it. If he does, you'll just have to guess. My recommendation is just looking out for Mawaru mixups when he jumps. He can't stick out pokes in between mawaru when he jumps (unless he's going for a crossup), so if you see him jump for 4 way mixup, IB the first hit and gtfo of there.

I can't find any matchup vids featuring these two characters against eachother (represented by good players). If anyone has blueprint video/s of this matchup I'd like to see it/them.

In addition to what pulsr said-

This is matchup is all about getting and keeping your momentum since when has each side gets initiative it can destroy the other.

From my experience, the best way to win this is by being patient and zone Eddie , use your nets and trees to limit his movement along with wise pokes usage. Remember that your zoning is way more superior than his.

Once you nailed a hit into knockdown that's the moment to rush him down, and force your mixups, just watch out from reversals and stuff like that.

When Eddie is in and gets his shadow [he will eventually] you can't really do much except blocking his mixups or dead angle at the right time.

In addition, you need to minimize your mistakes since one mistake = Eddie knocks you down and unblockable[x1~3 depends on his meter and setup] and that's an easy 40~70% of your life right there. So don't overuse risky moves since Eddie can punish it hard.

Pretty even match imo too, each has its own bullshit to destroy the other and can do it well once it gets the momentum.

There's another thing that probably most Eddies won't be aware of(Probably because most chars can't deny him from doing this without taking too much risk/meter) is that if they try to summon the shadow by doing some *random poke* > K summon you can IB the poke and 2HS through the summon and hit eddie / Kill shadow and keep the pressure/combo him. It's really nice and nerfs his offense quite abit. You can do this only vs a few of his pokes. Try it out on some matches and you'll see it for yourself where it is safe to do it and where not. You gotta force them not to try to summon after poke with a hole for testa to 2HS :D

Also, eddie can approach you by the air very well, the solution to this is a preemtive 6k or jump back jS (hit confirm for a BL hit for knockdown and oki) this is vital.

Every knockdown v Eddie counts, he can't really do something vs your offense like you can't do vs his.

Curse Eddie whenever you can, curse hurt his game and give him hard time to summon his shadow while he's on the offense

If Eddie likes to do AD jS jHS learn to parry the jHS and grab him for damage.

This is all about taking the initiative.

Fancy combos and stuff like that are irrelevent IMO, just make sure you don't mess up combos, knock him down, keep on doing mixups and resets and win :)

^ If you're not comfortable w/ the IB->2H, you can opt to warrant the 1st hit of Mawaru, pretty much guaranteed everytime.