Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[AC+R] Justice vs. Zappa

Discuss the matchup between Justice and Zappa here.

Matchup Summary

Justice's Tools

Zappa's response to them

Zappa's Tools

Justice's response to them

The verdict of this matchup

I played a long set against a strong Zappa last night. It's very unusual and sometimes gets really hard to play. The first thing to keep in mind is that you should be "rushing down" Zappa most of the match, not zoning. Sitting back and creating missiles gives him the opportunity to summon Ghosts/Sword which both put him at a huge advantage. Always be moving forward and don't give him any space for free.

No summon Zappa -

He's pretty weak except for his summon DP which is really fucking good. At the start of a match, there isn't really any one option for Justice to take. Zappa can just back dash a few times and then summon safely and Justice is too slow to do anything to stop it - f.Slash and Michael Sword both miss - so Zappa usually isn't in this state for long. He can YOLO dash DP at any time if he feels he'll catch you doing something, so bait it well. Justice can safe jump his DP with air combo > j.D Michael Sword > j.HS > land and super jump forward immediately > late j.HS. I'm pretty sure that she can safe jump safely from S Michael Sword but she has to be close to the corner since it pushes so far.

Honestly the only thing I care about this part is his DP, since Justice will spend the vast majority of her time here rushing Zappa down in order to deny him his Ghost/Sword summons.

Dog summon -

Actually pretty bad in this match-up. If he gets you stuck in a corner then you're still in trouble but he's lost bite unblockable so it's a LOT less scary. In neutral, Justice's f.Slash and P Missile do a really good job of eating dog with no effort so abuse the shit out of them. Remember that his dog will absorb any attack first so if you're hitting it with something else, immediately cancel into S Michael Sword to smack Zappa in the face. Dog 101 - don't waste your burst or attempt a guard cancel.

Sword summon -

What. The. Fuck. This summon is AMAZING now. Sword lingers for a few seconds where it was last left now, which means he can keep full screen away while forcing unreactable 50/50s on you. Justice is huge and slow so it's really hard to avoid. Your best options are to super jump forward after a sword has whiffed, Saperia if he's close enough to get hit by a read, or Michael Blade through a block string. If you're jumping in then respect his Sword DP as it will send you full screen and you'll have to start over. If you can get out a P missile safely then do it, it provides another opportunity to get away from sword and in on Zappa.

Ghost summon-

Oh boy. This is just as hard as sword for different reasons. P projectile tracks straight to your head and interrupts missile start-up like a motherfucker. Missiles will absorb his ghost projectiles but Justice lacks a missile to cover that spot of her head. You do NOT want to get cursed because then it's party time for Zappa. P missile FRC if you have to and hit him out of the air with jK.

Raoh summon-

From what I can tell, Zappa honestly doesn't want this summon even when he can get it. Swords and Ghosts shut down her options that well. If he gets Raoh then respect the shit out of his amazing DP, but otherwise Justice's footsies and zoning still work pretty well against him. Even his amazing chip-out super is bad - Justice can super flash punish it with Michael Blade and her missile explosions destroy the projectiles before they can hit you, I shit you not.

Sword definitely does not count as a projectile, BTW. You can saperia through it because of the invincibility, not because the projectile will eat a sword hit. However, it not being a projectile means you can catch it with your counter if you're sure a low isn't coming, which is a risky guess but can force Zappa to second-guess his sword offense sometimes. I'd argue saperia's pretty risky there too, but obviously you'll have to accept a little risk to get in on Zappa.

Ah, I thought Saperia only had projectile invincibility, that makes more sense. Never tried to counter it, will it actually catch him even from full screen away?

Yeah. The counter just starts basically a throw animation when you tag it, so she'll grab anything anywhere. Pulls him in, gets you a combo, just like from anywhere else. Also, projectile invincibility is not a thing.