Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star-Demon

Bad experience

I would say yes. If you constantly practice with those below your (subjective) skill level, then you can develop bad habits. For example, if you consistently play with people who can't apply pressure, or eat mixups all day, you may not know how to deal with being pressured, or what to do if your moves are blocked.

Honestly, since I don't have much of a scene, I make the most of the recording slots in training mode.

Those things are pretty good for teaching my how to react to certain shit on reaction and what to do where.

I mainly used for learning what to punish on instant blocks, finding holes in blockstrings, practicing teching throws etc etc.

On topic:

Yes, there certainly is as he said. You develop bad habits which don't fly later on once you meet real competition.

for example, someone who may always get hit by...Let's say an IAD overhead. And since you -know- they're always going to get hit by it, you never bother to switch it up. Eventually, this becomes a habit for you. (Or worse, you automatically 'hitconfirm' it and start pressing buttons that aren't safe.)

Use this one someone else who has much more experience so often and you suddenly get blown up for it and don't know what to do.

Things like that.

Yes of course there is. netplay'll probably be one of the worst offenders of teaching you some things that you shouldn't do in higher level play.

Like Elo said, try to play people at or a bit above your skill level to actually learn something. And have training partners who actually dont play like retards. That helps a lot. But the learning process is different for everyone. And you probably are already aware of what has been said

I don't think it is bad experience that causes bad habits so much as a lack of good experience leaves you without good habits. If someone is a total troll with no respect and tons of gimmicky stuff forcing you to learn a ton of things that won't be relevant against a strong player that's still information that might stop you from getting randomly knocked out by some punk in R1 of a tournament. The problem comes from that kind of play becoming the standard in your mind.

You still need proper experiences and the ability to understand how good or viable something really is as a strategy. Talking with people after a match is a great way to digest some information.

And remember that just because something Worked doesn't mean it 'works'. One of the most frequent bad habits I see less experienced players have is that they see a hard call out or some otherwise unusual play and think that is must be some super strong high level tactic and then they do the same thing over and over with no sense of time, place or occasion.

Do you guys think there's such a thing as getting bad experience? Leading one to do things wrong or not learn right?

Definitely. For me, it's one of the main reasons I have certain games that I only play offline / and certain ones that I only play offline. Usually, the best experience is going to be when something is on the line / when people have to sacrifice $$ to play (gas money to attend offline casuals for example). Otherwise, you'll probably run into a lot people (especially online) who don't care that much, aren't helpful, or want to test out things that they normally wouldn't try in a tournament match. So in turn I guess you could call that a bad experience if you are trying to learn from that environment.

Another bad experience of course is inconsistencies online, with connections and whatnot. Plus, it's hard to get proper feedback as opposed to talking to someone face to face.

They're usually referred to as bad habits. They're easy to pick up, and usually easy to shake off. For most people, doing something stupid and getting wrecked for it is enough incentive to change, but if that's not working, taking a break or switching games/characters can be helpful.

imho there's no such thing as bad experience, facing anyone no matter if good, decent, or bad is a learning experience nonetheless. If anything there can be a lack of experience, but every match played should be counted as part of the learning process. Getting bad habits is usually caused by facing the same kind of opponents, it's not entirely related to the quality of the opponent himself/herself.

I don't think it is bad experience that causes bad habits so much as a lack of good experience leaves you without good habits.

Absolutely this - if you read all the so-called examples of "bad habits" in this thread, you discover that they're actually sortof 'negative habits' - not knowing how to do X or Y/that you should (sometimes) do X or Y. There's no "bad experience" though some experiences are more "good" than others. Just because Netplay isn't perfect doesn't mean it's useless, and so on.

It's also possible to have "bad habits" that have nothing to do with "experience" such as trying to mash your combos under pressure and suchlike. Those are harder to get rid of.