Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okidoki_Sir

Just another newbie who needs help

I see how good they are to counter multihit drives, but I think that is something which needs tons of training, right?

And about the chess thing: I understand what you wanted to tell me. But I am far away from reading somebodies mind. And even if I were a pro it would be hard to da that. Of course there are some basic combos, every player uses, but I think everybody has his very own playstyle and therefore is unpredictable if you encounter him the first time.

And although some say I should try every character before I decide, I will stick to Hakumen for some time now. The videos were awesome and I also like his style.

@ WillWork4Instal: I found another reason why playing on vita is easier: You can put sticky notes below the screen in case of blackout/to learn the combos :D This is what I am actually doing right now. I tried beating Arcade with only 2 basic short combos (B+C, 214A, 6C and 4C, 214A, 3C) to get used to those and see where I can apply them and where I cannot. Then I will learn some new combos which I can do when I can't do those and eventually I will replace them by something longer and more difficult.

Or is this a stupid idea? :D

edit: Whats "yomi"?

edit: Whats "yomi"?

I believe it's "reading" in Japanese - as in "reading your opponent" as in "being able to tell what he's going to do before he does it"; aka "being psychic" or just "calling him out". It's a term you'll see thrown around a good bit, and it boils down to being able to get into your opponent's head so you can tell what they'll do and counter it.

@ WillWork4Instal: I found another reason why playing on vita is easier: You can put sticky notes below the screen in case of blackout/to learn the combos :D This is what I am actually doing right now. I tried beating Arcade with only 2 basic short combos (B+C, 214A, 6C and 4C, 214A, 3C) to get used to those and see where I can apply them and where I cannot. Then I will learn some new combos which I can do when I can't do those and eventually I will replace them by something longer and more difficult.

Or is this a stupid idea? :D

That's pretty smart. Taking notes is extremely helpful, and sticking it to your Vita is a very good idea. Having two or three combos in the beginning is good; memorizing simple stuff helps you understand more complex situations. Keep up the good work! :thumbu:

Thank you two :)

For now I got no further questions :D I will practice now :) Played some games online today, just to see how good the opponents are. They aren't even that good. But the lag is horrible :(

So it's me again. I tried to learn Hakumen's BnB combo (challenge 9) by using a very helpful video on youtube which explained every detail. But I suck at it, although I know what to do. The j.2C is too early or too late. I already spent like 3hrs on timing it, but I only got a success rate of like 15%.

How long did it take you to learn your first combos?

So it's me again. I tried to learn Hakumen's BnB combo (challenge 9) by using a very helpful video on youtube which explained every detail. But I suck at it, although I know what to do. The j.2C is too early or too late. I already spent like 3hrs on timing it, but I only got a success rate of like 15%.

How long did it take you to learn your first combos?

Hours. Heck, it still takes me hours to learn new combos, though I'm probably not the best example. :P

I actually suggest taking breaks during your training. Don't grind on it for three hours straight. Throw yourself at it for maybe 30 minutes, then do something else. Heck, play some matches. Then take an actual break from the game for an hour or something. Take a walk, do some pushups, read a book. Then come back and practice again and you'll probably notice that things are improving.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?13874-EX-FOR-BEGINNERS-Hakumen-BnB-Combo-Tutorial-Video

Check out the vid. Not sure if you have been there already but it might be another helpful resource for you.

If you have time you can flip through specific character's combo thread and see if someone discusses a similar problem and read what solutions have been given.

In terms of Hakumen's BnB with the falling J2C...I took about 6~ hours split between two days.

When he jumps he bends his knees after reaching the peak of his jump. That is your cue to hit J2C.

(Correct me if my information is wrong as I did not check which is Challenge 9)

I wasn't able to do Haku's old 623AA > falling j.2C > 2C bnb until I was like level 60 in CT. It took me forever to get it, so I was using other substitute combos the entire time that were easier to do instead. Maybe if I focused on getting that combo and ONLY that combo I might've gotten it easier though, but it took a long time of playing for me before my execution was high enough to be able to pull it off.

Hours. Heck, it still takes me hours to learn new combos, though I'm probably not the best example. :P

I actually suggest taking breaks during your training. Don't grind on it for three hours straight. Throw yourself at it for maybe 30 minutes, then do something else. Heck, play some matches. Then take an actual break from the game for an hour or something. Take a walk, do some pushups, read a book. Then come back and practice again and you'll probably notice that things are improving.

Thanks :) I like your idea of breaks. Other people would have said "Watch some TV, take a nap, etc" and you give advice that even improve my real life :D But this is not my problem. I play mostly when I am on the bus/traim or when the lectures are boring. Okay, I often play in bed too, but then my girlfriend is on the telephone so doing pushups, etc is very difficult to pull off :D

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showt...Tutorial-Video

Check out the vid. Not sure if you have been there already but it might be another helpful resource for you.

If you have time you can flip through specific character's combo thread and see if someone discusses a similar problem and read what solutions have been given.

In terms of Hakumen's BnB with the falling J2C...I took about 6~ hours split between two days.

When he jumps he bends his knees after reaching the peak of his jump. That is your cue to hit J2C.

(Correct me if my information is wrong as I did not check which is Challenge 9)

I have seen this video (it was the one I was referring to, in my post. But thanks anyway :) It's not like I do not know when I have to do the j.2C but my hand/eye coordination is way too slow :D

I wasn't able to do Haku's old 623AA > falling j.2C > 2C bnb until I was like level 60 in CT. It took me forever to get it, so I was using other substitute combos the entire time that were easier to do instead. Maybe if I focused on getting that combo and ONLY that combo I might've gotten it easier though, but it took a long time of playing for me before my execution was high enough to be able to pull it off.

Which combos did you do instead?

Another question to you mac: I saw some posts you made like 2 years ago. How did you keep yourself motivated to continue playing?

3. Play a guitar.

Picking up guitar helped me improve my game a bunch. I didn't pick up guitar to improve my fightan skills but it has noticeably improved my dexterity among other things.

Things like memorizing combo sequences, execution, and timing have all significantly improved for me.

Picking up guitar helped me improve my game a bunch. I didn't pick up guitar to improve my fightan skills but it has noticeably improved my dexterity among other things.

Things like memorizing combo sequences, execution, and timing have all significantly improved for me.

This is a very interesting story. I think I might grab my old yo-yo again, as it might have the same effect :D