Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nabbitthebunny

Newbie that needs help with a few things

Hello Dustloop. I am fairly new to fighting since my first fighting game was Persona 4 Arena. I played Blazblue shortly after. Because I'm a newbie I naturally suck at these games( However I'm slightly better at P4A). Anyway here's some issues I've been having

1. I have an extremely bad habit, I tend to pause in a middle of a combo. Sometimes it helps with timing, but most of the time it just throws me off. I want to stop it but I tend to do it on impulse even when I didn't mean to actually pause

2 IAD and Mircodashes: These things have been the bane of my existence ever since the moment I plugged in P4A. When trying to combos I always botch these up like 70% percent of the time whether I pause or don't. I don't exactly what the problem is here. Sometimes they don't come out right, sometimes they just plain don't come out

3. Defense: This is what makes me lose so much. Whenever the opponent has a good offense I shut down. I often mash DP in P4A and that obviously doesn't work. I try to do a counter assault but the opponent just rushes back in and I'm right back where I started. I try to use 632146x with Plat, Lambda, and Noel in Blazblue but it doesn't come out right 90% percent of the time

Terminology: This is a minor problem but one that needs to be addressed regardless. When lurking in Dustloop I knew some notation from lurking SRK (Numpad notation,zoning,etc) However I often see new notation like yomi, okiseme, etc. I think I can solve this on my own time but it would easier if I just had a page with most of the terminology I need to know

I'll add more questions when they come up

1. You mean pause, as in you stop doing stuff, or you pause the actual game? If it's pausing the actual game, you won't be able to do that online, so you'll just screw yourself over with a menu popping up while the game continues. And in a tournament it's an automatic loss.

2. These took me a while to get the hang of too. It just comes with playing more.

3. Same with this. If stuff isn't coming out then you should go into training mode and work on getting the moves down. You want to be able to do your moves consistently, or at least work on it as time goes on.

Yomi -- a japanese term for "reading," in other words, reading the mind of your opponent, seeing ahead to what they're going to do, and countering it.

Okizeme -- "oki" for short, means the options you have when you knock someone down and want to go for mixup.

1. You mean pause, as in you stop doing stuff, or you pause the actual game? If it's pausing the actual game, you won't be able to do that online, so you'll just screw yourself over with a menu popping up while the game continues. And in a tournament it's an automatic loss.

2. These took me a while to get the hang of too. It just comes with playing more.

3. Same with this. If stuff isn't coming out then you should go into training mode and work on getting the moves down. You want to be able to do your moves consistently, or at least work on it as time goes on.

Yomi -- a japanese term for "reading," in other words, reading the mind of your opponent, seeing ahead to what they're going to do, and countering it.

Okizeme -- "oki" for short, means the options you have when you knock someone down and want to go for mixup.

Pausing the actual game. And it's only a problem in training and offline, haven't been to any tournaments however. Though I considered that a problem when I eventually do go to one. That's why I want to solve this pause problem completely before I even think about going to any tourneys. While I do it very rarely in online it's still a minor problem since I do it occasionally when doing a hard combo, tense, etc. Anyway thanks for the advice. I see myself getting a little better with IAD's but mircodashes still drive me up the wall

3. The vast majority of fast attacks in this game are either low or mid. So it's recommended you block low the majority of time, and switch to high when needed. Most high attacks are deliberately designed to be slower and more obvious.

As for pausing the game, I doubt you're using an arcade stick seeing as P4A is your first fighter, but if you are, you can usually lock the start/back buttons on most sticks to prevent accidental usage.

Hello Dustloop. I am fairly new to fighting since my first fighting game was Persona 4 Arena. I played Blazblue shortly after. Because I'm a newbie I naturally suck at these games( However I'm slightly better at P4A). Anyway here's some issues I've been having

1. I have an extremely bad habit, I tend to pause in a middle of a combo. Sometimes it helps with timing, but most of the time it just throws me off. I want to stop it but I tend to do it on impulse even when I didn't mean to actually pause

2 IAD and Mircodashes: These things have been the bane of my existence ever since the moment I plugged in P4A. When trying to combos I always botch these up like 70% percent of the time whether I pause or don't. I don't exactly what the problem is here. Sometimes they don't come out right, sometimes they just plain don't come out

3. Defense: This is what makes me lose so much. Whenever the opponent has a good offense I shut down. I often mash DP in P4A and that obviously doesn't work. I try to do a counter assault but the opponent just rushes back in and I'm right back where I started. I try to use 632146x with Plat, Lambda, and Noel in Blazblue but it doesn't come out right 90% percent of the time

Terminology: This is a minor problem but one that needs to be addressed regardless. When lurking in Dustloop I knew some notation from lurking SRK (Numpad notation,zoning,etc) However I often see new notation like yomi, okiseme, etc. I think I can solve this on my own time but it would easier if I just had a page with most of the terminology I need to know

It's a shame, I don't think there's any way to unmap the start button, although you could try and put some sort of object on your controller, you're just pressing the wrong button and you need to keep reminding yourself to not do that.

IAD input is either 966 or 9(5)6, on stick you return it to neutral, also try 9(5)9.

Defense comes with time, just be patient and learn to wait it out, try recording strings in training mode and instant blocking. Learn everyone's overhead animations so you'll know when to block high, and most of the time you want to block high if you see them leave the ground. Just not against Kanji.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation

www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Strategies

1. That's a strange habit, never heard of that one before. I'm not sure what kind of advice you want; just don't do it? If you think it's helping you figure out your timing, you should instead practice your combos in Record mode and play back the successful and unsuccessful versions to show you where your timing issues are.

2. Just practice, really. Understand that just like with combos, nobody who plays these games was born with a superhuman ability to IAD or hit tight links. Everyone started out just like you, and they learned by doing, over and over (and over). Out of curiosity, do you use pad or stick? I find dashing much easier to do on stick, so much of switching to pad was me training my thumb to change angles depending on what I planned on doing next. The angle of my thumb is slightly different when I go for an IAD as opposed to a 623 motion or 632146 motion. Oh, and if you use a stock XBox pad, get something better.

Some of your other questions are answered in the FAQ here: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?372-Gameplay-FAQ-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

It's a shame, I don't think there's any way to unmap the start button, although you could try and put some sort of object on your controller, you're just pressing the wrong button and you need to keep reminding yourself to not do that.

lol if you think about it, if you were able to do that you would NEVER be able to exit a game mode apart from dashboard/power off xD

lol if you think about it, if you were able to do that you would NEVER be able to exit a game mode apart from dashboard/power off xD

Haha yeah, I couldn't think of anything that would work, it would have to be easy to remove and put on. It seems like such a silly idea that it's better to just reinforce getting rid of the bad mental habit.

IAD input is either 966 or 9(5)6, on stick you return it to neutral, also try 9(5)9.

Pretty sure that's going to end up as a double jump forward. IAD is mainly practicing the input IMO. Don't get too frustrated if you can't IAD consistently. Keep practicing and you'll see some good improvement.

1. If u mean with pause ... u kind of forgot the follow up of the said combos ... i think that's better than auto comboing, that you actually think what combos suitable in that position... this habit, can be cured the more u play. With experience u can choose combo route faster.

But if u mean u press the start button in the middle of combos ... accidentally or not, slap your face every time u do this.

2. Practice, some tip on practice... split your combos into few part and do the one you often makes mistake repeatedly no need to finish the combos, just focus on 1 part each time.

3. Learn your match up, reversal is not all about DPs / Dead angle, use IB, Barrier & char specific gimmick (eg: Plat case on Ragna Dead Spike Pressure... DS is fucking horrible to block but it's pretty slow, whenever he use it, try to 236a~a and fatal him, Plat 236a has projectile invul).

And if u mean you have sloppy hand can't execute the Super right ... practice.

What controller are you using and what part of your hand is hitting start (and during what actions)?

I use a Xbox pad. My right thumb usually. Mostly in the middle of hard combos and when I'm extra tense

I use a Xbox pad. My right thumb usually. Mostly in the middle of hard combos and when I'm extra tense

Don't use that, it's a big reason you're having so much trouble with IADs etc. Pad is fine, but I don't know a single person who can play competently on a stock XBox dpad. Personally I use a PS2 pad with an adapter, but you could also go for the Saturn pad, or one of many fightpads (those are usually mapped for claw grippers though).