Kiba

[CPEX] Tsubaki Yayoi Strategy Guide [WIP]

So much italics. Yea I suppose. It ead just effective when i eas using it a few weeks back. I guess i really like it because i dont really care for charge. At least not as much as I used to

Since the guide's been partially converted to CP, and no one seems to post in the thread, I'm going to dump a couple of option selects I came up with and any gimmicks I see here. The first one actually works in EX as well, just since 214X doesn't launch on standing/crouching, the reward's terrible so there's basically no point. The second one theoretically should work in extend, but you have to put inputs in super fucking fast. It should be really easy to do in CP however, since 623C's cancel window is massive.

236C>214B~RC

Do 236C, and input 214B, then RC right afterwards. If 236C hits, it'll cancel into 214B, launching the opponent which should lead to an IAD combo with an air ender. If the 236C is blocked, the RC comes out and you'll be at a decent amount of advantage. 236C is level 4, so it does 18 frames of blockstun, so you have a 10 frame window for inputting the RC to still have it be gapless into 5C.

623C>j.214A~j.236D

For this OS, simple input j.214A right after 623C, exactly how you would do a dive-whiff combo, then input j.236C right afterwards. If the DP hits, you'll dive back to the ground and the j.236D input should get eaten up during j.214A's recovery time. If the DP is blocked or whiffs, you'll go into j.236D to make your DP saferish and you can react and go into j.214D if you'd like. Basically this will be the new version of doing 623A>j.236A~D>j.214A~D to conserve charges while DPing while still keeping them safer on bad guesses. It'll actually be a lot better in CP, since you'll still get ~1800 (I think?) damage off a DP chargeless with an air knockdown, as opposed to like 900 with an air blowback in Extend. I'd imagine this is actually really easy to do in CP, considering that you can dive on your way back down after a DP. It'll probably be very easy to just do 623C>j.214A then do j.236D at the top of the DP's height afterwards.

Of course, the second one is speculative, but you can see the ridiculous cancel window in the first few combos in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSUFskMscA. Only way I see it not working is if for some reason the cancel window increases on hit.

Edited by TheGreatReptar

Your contribution is very much appreciated.

Updated Mini Tsubaki 101.

I was working on my Valkenhayn guide and was thinking about how much more I could offer for Tsubaki.

So I just wanted to say thank you for spending the time to do this. I hope to contribute in the future once I understand this girl but as of right now from a so so beginner of Tsubaki this is an awesome guide and just thank you. :yaaay:

Ah. You're very welcome!

Updated the strategy guide again.

-Updated the section with the tricks and gimmicks.

-Updated blockstrings.

Edited by Kiba

I tried the 3CC trick over and over but it does not work properly in CP:

Neutral recover:

- 22B has not enough untechable time to crossup the opponent (you need an uncharged 22D to make it work)

- after the 3C crossup, the followup C does not autocorrect anymore

Backroll:

- 22B has again not enough untechable time to catch a backrolling opponent

- 22D however can catch them

Forward Roll, Quick Getup:

- works with 22B

I'd say keep the link to the video but leave a note that it does not autocorrect the second hit of 3CC and 22D is needed to catch backrolls

My apologies if I am wrong but I tried it the last few times in training mode and it did not work

You're right. I'm surprised I haven't removed that trick yet. You're using charge just to try and hit with 3CC which doesn't even autocorrect anymore and there's no guarantee it'll FC. You're gonna need heat to followup otherwise.

Also the explanation on the safe jump setup needs to be revised. I'll go through it once I'm done with work.

Edit:

-Explanation on safe jump setup revised

-Removed 3CC trick

-Updated information on throw baits.

Edited by Kiba

-Merged 'punishment game' and information on charge cancels to first post.

-Removed the information on getting the bonus proration from 623D > j.236D > j.214D because it's no longer necessary for CP.

-Updated information on blockstrings.

-Updated information on j.236A oki (It also doesn't work against Bang)

-Included command grab setups into tricks and gimmicks & BatousaiJ's information on burst baiting in first post.

-Added information on Blade Super to tricks and gimmicks section.

Edited by Kiba

-Safe jump setup-

Tsubaki doesn't have a lot in CP. The first one requires you to use a standard corner combo, so you can do something like 5BB > 5CC > 236B > 214B > 22B > 5C > 2CC > 236C > 214D. Then you use j.8C and press j.C as you're near the ground. It'll catch rolls, but the disadvantage with this setup is that it requires charge, and it's not worth it. You can't do it with 214B because it doesn't launch high enough and the opponent can easily roll past you.

The second setup involves you using 623C > j.214D > 3CC. You need to delay the 3CC so that you're able to catch rolls. If you don't delay 3CC slightly it won't work. The problem with this setup is that if you use it in the corner you'll be missing out on the damage and heat gain from 6CC > 236C > 214B > 22B. It's better if it's used as a midscreen to corner combo in a situation where you won't be able to followup with 6CC. In this case it's very specific.

-236B > 214B > 22B whiff stuff-

Check out the video by Kazu that Jourdal recently uploaded here. After you use 236B, slightly delay the followup 22B. If the opponent techs the 22B will whiff and you will be placed at an advantage. If the opponent doesn't tech, 22B will hit but it'll blue beat. The advantage with this is that when the opponent techs you can go for any sort of mixup (6A/CT is too slow here guys go for command grab, throw or 2B). The thing is you don't want to delay 22B too much that they'll be able to poke you out of whatever you wanna do.

I will add both to first post.

Was also doing a little experimenting with roll outs. You can use 5C to catch roll outs too and if you have charge you can go into a better combo as opposed to using 2B. 2B is more reliable however because it has less recovery so if it whiffs when the opponents neutral techs it's not as bad as 5C. 5C also seems to prevent the opponent rolling past you. I mean, you can catch the roll with 2B, but sometimes while catching them they'll roll past you so you may have to do: 2B > 2CC > IAD j.CC > 5C > 2C > 214B > 22B(or air combo) to get them back there.

-Updated punishment game-

Edited by Kiba

Just a little note on catching rolls after j.214A/B/C enders in the corner. Most of you already know this, and perhaps I haven't tested this as much, but I'll still make the point.

First and Foremost, 2B is the ideal normal to use to catch rolls here, but if you charge cancel after the dive you won't be able to catch 'em. Don't charge cancel, and input 2B as soon as possible. The problem with this is that they will no longer be in the corner (unless it's Tager), so if you want to keep them in the corner use this combo:

2B > 2CC > 214B (214B puts them back into the corner) > 22B(whiff) > 5C > 2CC > IAD j.CC > 5C > 2CC > j.CC > j.214A

If you have at least one charge you can do this instead:

2B > 2CC > 214D (214D puts them back into the corner) > 22B(whiff) > 5C > 2CC > IAD j.CC > 5C > 2C > 236C > 214B > 22B for 2.7k or;

2B > 2CC > 236D > 6CC > 236C > 214B > 22B

The problem with the 236D combo is that it's inconsistent in placing the opponent back into the corner, and you'd have to be pretty prepared especially if you want to followup with 6CC. Both combos deal the same damage so I recommend the first combo.

If you're against Tager, since there are times he won't be able to roll past you, you can do:

2B > 2C > 22D > 6C > j.D > j.C (or 6C > CT) > 5C > 2CC > 236C > (5A) > 5C > 2C > 236B > 214B > 22B.

I wish 2B had faster startup though.

Also, you can charge cancel then backdash to keep the opponent in the corner even if they forward roll (as you may have seen in match videos). You'll be right in front of them to do whatever you please.

Edited by Kiba

-Included charge setups

-Included combo theory section (I'll add more information overtime)

-Included another type of oki in okizeme section (Most of you already know about it)

-Updated information on 6C followup in Gimmicks Section.

Edited by Kiba

-Added a table in charge setups section for comparative purposes.

-Updated blockstrings!

-Updated Safe Jump Setups!

Edited by Kiba

-Updated information on j.236A oki by displaying more combo examples.

-Added a little more to Combo Theory section.

-Updated Okizeme section.

There's another type of oki I use from time to time that I can share. It doesn't matter what combo you use provided you haven't used 214B already. If it's 214B SMP, it won't work. Basically what you need to do is whiff 22B as if you were going into a distortion ender, and the moment you whiff it, hold 4 then input 6C. So I'll give you an example.

5BB > 5CC > 22D > 6C > j.D > j.C > 5C > 2CC > 236C > 5A > 5C > 2C > 236B > 214B > 22B (whiff /hold 4 at this point) > [4]6C

So it doesn't matter what combo you use as long as you get the 214B > 22B(whiff) to work on an aerial opponent. It won't work on a grounded opponent. It's better than using 22B (hit) > [4]6C because the opponent can just jump out, while this one locks them down. It obviously loses to DPs and reversals because they'll catch you in the recovery of the fireball, but it has its benefits:

-It catches rolls. If you catch the roll. You can followup with 5A > 2CC > IAD combo. Getting 5A to hit isn't too easy.

-It catches quick getup, so followup with 5A > Combo

-If they don't tech, you can get them with 2B.

-It catches a 5A mash on their wakeup for example.

-You can score a CH against Valkenhayn's 6A and Rachel's 2C. Those reversal actions won't work against this.

-Jin's 623C is too slow and won't catch you, so you're free to punish him. You'll get hit if he uses 623D though.

-If Kokonoe teleports you'll recover in time to hit her and get counter hit if you can.

So it's better against characters without a DP, and you can use it in combos were you were originally opting for damage and where the j.236A oki won't work. If you're using this against a player for the first time, I recommend waiting for the fireball to catch them before you go into your mixup, because if its hits you can followup with 5A/5C > into whatever combo you want, otherwise you could accidentally go for a reset (though thats not a bad thing if it works!). When they start to become more respectful you can use 6A immediately. So your mixup options are simple:

-6A

-Command grab

-Throw

-2B

-tk.236D/214D throw baits can work really well but you need to condition them to throw after the fireball hit

Remember the fireball generates very little blockstun so you need to act quickly to avoid getting mashed out (So it can be risky to go for 6A if you didn't use it immediately)

Edited by Kiba

I just noticed that 5C > 6C > 632147C wasn't part of

Sub-route 3 (63214C setups): 5BB > 63214C / 5BB > 6B > 63214C / 5C > 6B > 63214C

It is sort of unsafe but the step forward from 5C to 6C always brings you close enough to do the command grab unless they barrier guard even at 5C's max range.

Aw yeah I forgot about including that.

Thanks for reading and letting me know!

Side note, Updated 6C blockstrings with:

- Sub-route 5 (Bait DP): 6D > j.D > Barrier block (If they delay the DP you may get hit due to landing recovery)

- Sub-route 7 (Blade Super): 6C > 6321469B (Gimmicky - Opponent cannot punish unless they use something with 4f startup due to 6C blockstun)

I forgot how to do 6C into Crush Trigger so if someone remembers that please let me know so I can include that :)

Edited by Kiba

- Sub-route 5 (Bait DP): 6D > j.D > Barrier block (If they delay the DP you may get hit due to landing recovery)

Much as I would love a jump cancellable 6D, you probably meant 6C here. :P (And it's wrong in the guide too, which is what matters)

Added 236C > 214B ~ D OS, though it's nothing new.

Also made a list of mixup options from j.236A oki.

Edited by Kiba

What are all of Tsubaki's worst matchups? If there was a spectrum where would you place each of them best to worst?

Worst match up? Valkenhyan or Taokaka. Best match ups? Umm.. do we.. have, any?

It feels like the only characters I fight without having the battle feel slightly one-sided are other Tsubakis.

There are only degrees of bad. No good.

From best to worst in terms of disadvantaged matchups huh?

Probably: Nu/Ragna > Relius/Rachel/Hakumen/Bang > Hazama/Litchi/Mu > Valk/Tao > Kokonoe.

Azrael would probably be disadvantage as well, though only slightly so he would fit in with Nu/Ragna.

Rest is even with like 3 55:45's.

Really? Ragna is an easy matchup now? I always felt like he overlapped our core competencies so thoroughly that it was like fighting a better version of yourself, which made it pretty disadvantageous.