Kiba

[CPEX] Tsubaki Yayoi Strategy Guide [WIP]

What makes it so much easier is Ragna's nerf and the addition of our projectile, he has no answer to that and has no easy ways to circumvent it, meaning he can't just poke us all day. Also having a good DP helps a lot ;p

- Sub-route 5 (Bait DP): 6D > j.D > Barrier block (If they delay the DP you may get hit due to landing recovery)

This would be great against all those DP happy Kagura's. Except you can't punish it...

What makes it so much easier is Ragna's nerf and the addition of our projectile, he has no answer to that and has no easy ways to circumvent it, meaning he can't just poke us all day. Also having a good DP helps a lot ;p

Awesome, thanks!

Are there any strategies for dealing with people who jump out of your blockstrings/pressure or just generally continue to backdash and move? I have different blockstring routes that lead to command grab setups and mixups depending on if they are barrier guarding or not, but I have nothing prepared for people who run away.

I am always ready to get grabbed or light attacked out of 6A, 6B, or 6C during any of these routes and I actually welcome it with open arms because the opponent going on the offense just brings them closer to me and gives me a greater chance of landing a hit with Tsubaki's pitiful range. But when they use the pretty obvious gaps in Tsubaki's blockstrings to escape and continue to defend, I just don't know what to do.

This has become most apparent in the Amane matchup, but I have noticed I have the same problem in general.

Edited by chzchan

Are there any strategies for dealing with people who jump out of your blockstrings/pressure or just generally continue to backdash and move? I have different blockstring routes that lead to command grab setups and mixups depending on if they are barrier guarding or not, but I have nothing prepared for people who run away.

I am always ready to get grabbed or light attacked out of 6A, 6B, or 6C during any of these routes and I actually welcome it with open arms because the opponent going on the offense just brings them closer to me and gives me a greater chance of landing a hit with Tsubaki's pitiful range. But when they use the pretty obvious gaps in Tsubaki's blockstrings to escape and continue to defend, I just don't know what to do.

This has become most apparent in the Amane matchup, but I have noticed I have the same problem in general.

There are a couple of choices.

For people who like to jump out, creating 'false' gaps in your blockstrings will catch them. 5B(B) > Slightly delayed 5C will hit them. 5B > 6B may also. 5C > 6B definitely will. 5B(B) > 3C is gutsy as hell, but will also catch people out of their jump startup (Actually, it might not work off 5BB. F-ing nerfed attack level on 5BB. =/ )

For people who like to backdash a lot, if it seems that they are autopiloting, you can beat this with charge cancels, depending on the opponent. For example, if someone always backdashes after 5BB, you can 5BB > CC, which leaves you at -5 or so, but they've committed to a 20 frame action at that point, so you have lots of time to dash up and do another 5B to catch them in the recovery of their backdash. Also, if you have 50 meter and want to a 'hard' callout, 5BB > 3C will catch backdashes for a juicy punish.

Basically, it's up to you to present enough situations where it's a bad idea for them to jump/backdash that they become unwilling to just upback/mash. You'll find that most people only go for these actions at specific points in your strings (usually after 5BB is the 'best' spot to do it) so mixing it up at that point with confusing options will teach them not to do that. The most important thing when playing Tsubaki is to use ALL your options, because that helps keep your opponent honest.

If you drop a combo, you're pretty much getting punished because you just did something with 60f+ of recovery.

Painful experience.

Agreed with everything, Tsubaki shouldn't be able to whiff cancel. Or make her whiff cancel with special moves :P

Little note: If for some reason you manage to land a 3CC hit and the opponent doesn't tech immediately, followup with 2B to get a full IAD combo. If they tech immediately you'll be at a slight advantage anyway. Inputting 2B > 2C can help with your hitconfirm as 2B > 2C does not gatling on whiff.

j.C > j.C Fuzzy Guard Options

If you have not used your double jump or air dash, you can go for a 'fuzzy setup' but it's quite difficult. You need to hit with j.C as deep as possible and then followup with dj.C without touching the ground. So what you'll be doing is, j.C > double jump > j.C. It'll hit those who try to block low immediately, and that's what the trick is there for, but there are occasional times where it'll whiff. The other problem with doing this is that your only followup option is a j.214D, otherwise you have nothing. The hitconfirm here is pretty demanding, and if they block it you would have wasted a charge and you're left punishable. If they block, use j.C > dj.CC(Delay). Shown here (It's CS1 but it still works of course)

If you use j.C > dj.CC, the dj.CC will whiff against Mu, Makoto and Kagura, so use j.C > dj.C. The hitconfirm is even harder here.

The j.C > dj.C fuzzy doesn't work against Bullet, Rachel, Taokaka, Arakune or Kokonoe because the dj.C will whiff.

So I've been playing around with Batousai's corner blocked 236D > RC > IAD j.C crossover, and there's a couple of combos you can use from this if you want to keep your opponent in the corner.

With no extra charge:

> j.C > 5CC > 623C > j.214B > Dash 5A > 2C > 236C > 214B > 22B. Deals less than 2.5k and you should get the side switch with 236C. If you cannot do it, just use 214B > 22B.

With 1 extra charge:

> j.C > 5CC > 236D > Dash 5CC > 236B > 214B > 22B > 5D > 5C > 2CC > j.236A. Deals 2.8k

> j.C > 5CC > 236D > 623C > Delay j.214A > 5C > 2CC > 236C > (5A) > 5C > 2C > 236B > 214B > 22B. 3.1k

> j.C > 5CC > 236D > 623C > Delay j.214A > 5C > 2C > 214B > 22B > 5D > 5C > 2CC > j.236A. Deals 3k

With 2 extra charge:

> j.C > [4]6D > 236D > 6CC > Slight delay j.CC (delay 2nd hit too) > 5A/5C > 2C > 236C > 214B > 22B. Deals 3.8k/4k. Resource heavy but good damage from j.C. The trick is to hold 6 (which is 4 when you crossover) while using IAD so you can get the fireball out immediately when you land.

Couple of quick whiny points:

Initial info about Tsubaki's DP is still for Extend

Frame advantage chart for charge cancels is still broken.

Y'know, I said I'll make a new strategy guide but I completely forgot, and went on ahead editing stuff in the OP. I think it's better I just do this anyway. I'll save making a completely new one for the next iteration. For now it's just a WIP but it'll get there eventually.