Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bizarro

Dizzy vs Venom

Hmmm, I think I'll start the discussion of this matchup with a psuedo-haiku. If you are amused, feel free to toss advice about this matchup. 'Cause I need some :vbang: Venom has balls, Dizzy has fish; Screen full of lulz.

Hmm, this is another match-up I have trouble with. The Vemon I play against is no where near what you would consider a Venom player, but gives me so much trouble.... Here's what he does: Starts out with something like 5S or 5HS (I'm not really sure of his normals; some poke with his stick) Harasses me with more long range normals Sometimes summons balls, but rarely uses them (Like I said a scrub player) Does this jump in attack that looks similar to a dive that hits multiple times, I have problem defending against this for some reason. Mostly random, but sometimes combos with that spinny-polestick move that does lots of damage and I can't seem to punish it even when I block it. Also hits me out of the air; is this a normal or special move? Regardless, I need to work on using my fautless defense in the air more but this move HURTS. When he's low on health, he'll abuse that overdrive where he shoots dozens from the air or the one where he makes this giant purple projectile. In conclusion, this guy really doesn't play the character right, going off of matches seen of pro Venom players but his range and normals give me so much trouble. Thoughts?

I'm just wondering, how do you guys get around Venom's 6P 6HS? I can't approach our local VE player from the air at all. Dry fish summons or spike buffers lose to Stinger Aim all the time too. I only seem to win when I get that lucky KD, otherwise when the momentum is neutral I usually lose it pretty fast. Also does anyone know what the matchup for Venom is like? I can see it being slightly in his favour, but might just be me.

didn't realy have a real Venom fight(the Slayer i go against're trying him)... and yeah the way to get around his 6p6hs is not trying to aproach by air and i do agree this match is slightly in Venom favour, if i ever had a real Venom fight, i think i'll just turtle with solid blocking looking a chance to counter his move (to the extend purposedly got hit by his 5h, mash out of it and ch Dubious with 2h)

didn't realy have a real Venom fight(the Slayer i go against're trying him)... and yeah the way to get around his 6p6hs is not trying to aproach by air

and i do agree this match is slightly in Venom favour, if i ever had a real Venom fight, i think i'll just turtle with solid blocking looking a chance to counter his move (to the extend purposedly got hit by his 5h, mash out of it and ch Dubious with 2h)

Wrong. Turtling? wtf. The key to the match is mobility. Making Venom lose balls, ball cover.

eg. You can do this by waiting for him to fire them, then passing over Venom & balls w/ super jump, AD, land (far) on his other, from there on do your stuff.

Expect to block, eat lots of single hits, mainly balls thx to your mega hitbox.

6P into 6HS beats you 100% whatever you throw at them, but, 6P is slow. If he whiffs that or too slow in doing that, you can beat it w/ appropriate tactics. Also, messing up the direction on 6P can hurt, if you do clever air attack.

Important things to watch out :

Do not get hit by 6HS, especially when you try to jump away from his ball rush. Always FD when you leave ground just to be safe. Anything else may hit you, just not 6HS (or 6P into 6HS) and his FB Stafftwirl thingy.

Venoms that like to "abuse" 2D, the moment you block that move, FD right away (or b4 that). If the venom opts to wait for the 2nd hit of 2D (they sometimes do that to gain enough time for his charge moves), 2nd Hit of his breakdance 2D will whiff and leave him long open (not sure anymore if they removed the CH property in that move. Used to have that, so you could just dash in after 2nd hit whiffs and 2HS him for juicy dose of pain)

When you are locked down in corner, be patient (and start learning that IB and what to IB, youll need it). Learn to IB the air HS, that twirl down move (air 236S?) and air IB that down up ball (venoms like to do that to keep you in corner even though you are finally able to jump, escape lockdown > so Air IB up down ball, then get away. If you dont IB, you end up on ground again, and lockdown all over)

Also DAA > Super in that situation.

I'm just wondering, how do you guys get around Venom's 6P 6HS? I can't approach our local VE player from the air at all. Dry fish summons or spike buffers lose to Stinger Aim all the time too. I only seem to win when I get that lucky KD, otherwise when the momentum is neutral I usually lose it pretty fast.

Also does anyone know what the matchup for Venom is like? I can see it being slightly in his favour, but might just be me.

Actually you can approach from the air but you need something like a bubble or a laser fish to pave the way. Once you have pressure on it's alot easier because defensively Venom is really bad. When I play against NAGAI he likes to move around the screen, throwing out projectiles and look for the knockdown so that he can go into pressure tactics. I find that once Venom gets in the corner it's hard to get out, but the same is with Dizzy. But with Dizzy's pressure it's more lax because of the fish, spear and bubble bridging the gap inbetween pressure strings while Venom has to be very precise in his pressure. For both players, once you're on offence you have to stay on in order to tip the scales in your favor.

Also just a note: When Venom does 2D, after the first hit he can opt to wait for the 2nd hit but he also still has the option of cancelling into a teleport or into something else. I'd recconmend FDing before that so that the 2D whiffs entirely.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: