Sign in to follow this  
VR-Raiden

[+R] Sol Badguy Q&A Thread

Orrax, I have actually never been able to safejump 3f moves with anything but j.P. Back when I was testing that a few months ago I determined that j.S and j.H simply can't connect within 3F of landing. I could safejump Chipp FB DP (4f) with them, but not Jam charged DP or Robo-Ky's high lvl DP (both 3f). I could only get those with j.P. Correct my if I'm wrong though, I did find this puzzling when I was looking at it.

You might be right -- I don't think I've tested safe-jumping Robo-Ky's dp since relatively early in Accent Core, so it has been a while. I'll do some testing when I get home.

EDIT: Ok, I just tested. Robo-Ky had full meter, and I set Sol to do sweep and then j.S as low to the ground and as meaty as I could make it. If Robo-Ky blocked, the move came out, and Robo-Ky was put into block stun. If Robo-Ky did reversal dp (meaning the word "Reversal" appeared on the screen), Sol was on the ground blocking, and blocked the first hit.

So, yeah. I was able to safe jump Robo-Ky's level 3 dp with j.S (unless I'm missing something wonky with training mode and Robo-Ky's dp isn't automatically at level 3 with full meter).

I also tested j.H(2) and didn't get a true safe-jump (I didn't test j.H(1) -- I figured j.S probably covered that since they're the same level move), but the first hit of j.H always clashed with the first hit of Robo-Ky's dp, so it still seemed pretty safe.

Edited by Orrax

Interesting, thanks. Could've sworn I couldn't get it but I'll have to try again, I'll try Jam's charged DP again too.

So just working on my dustloop stuff trying to get it down, now I know this game has a lot of character specific stuff. Just wondering do you have do dash against certain characters after the first loop? the only one I found so far is KY, but I know that you guys would probably know better because you're probably seasoned at GG.

One other thing, I was wondering what is Sol's general game plan? I know things differ from matchup to matchup, but if somone asked you what his goals where in a match against any character what would it be? I might be thinking a little to hard about this, but coming from a street fighter background everyone has sort of a goal they want. However in GG, characters are not devoted to just one specific playstyle. So I was just wondering, before I really dive deep into setplay.

On dustloops, dashing for the 2nd rep is required on Ky and Eddie as far as I remember. Robo-Ky and Johnny cause problems too on the 2nd rep, it will only work if they were higher up than normal after the 1st rep if I recall. I got in the habit of just always dashing for the 2nd rep since it doesn’t hurt (this is seemingly not the case in Xrd for whatever reason, dustloops are slightly different). And on the lightest characters, you just can't get 2 reps (Baiken, Bridget, May, Kliff, Jam) (also not the case in Xrd).

And I think more often than not, Sol's goal can be described simply as getting within range of Wild Throw. Wild Throw and the fear of it is one of his main ways of hitting people.

Also is it true the way the Dustloop works is the more reps the more hitstun they dusts do?

Oh and do you have a weight list for the characters for the characters in the game? 
P.S. sorry for asking all these questions...

Hmm I don't think so. Not sure what that's coming from. In +R max reps you can get is 2 before having to end.

Strangely enough I couldn't find a chart on the current wiki, but this old page has it http://dustloop.com/guides/ggac/data/charts.html some info is outdated on there I'm sure but the gravity chart seems fine. Higher gravity = lighter weight in the terms people tend to use. Kliff acts like lights(1.10), and Justice acts kinda like medium-lights(1.05), I don't know their exact values but that's just what I gather from combos on them. Not really sure on Justice, sometimes she seems more like medium. And there are some random exceptions in certain combos.

No prob that's what this thread is for.

Quick question how useful is throwing out the fake gunflame in strings? Is it really that useful? I've never play a character with a tool like this, but I'm really unsure of the use of it. Does it recover rather fast?

Also with the dustloop I'm having trouble getting the second rep to complete. Mainly because the second dust won't hit, does that mean I'm dashing and doing the dust too late after jumping or should I dash and do it right away.

I can upload a video if you need to see that too.

Fake gunflame is not very useful. It can be used to cancel long recovery moves (like 5H) to make them safer, but 2D does the same and is low-profile and doesn't leave you in a counter-hit state.

Each hit of dustloop after the first j.D is fairly tight. You need to dash then jump pretty quickly or your opponent will be able to tech. I suspect you are doing the second rep just a bit too late.

One more thing after playing some matches I've run into a huge problem I haven't really found out yet. How to stop people mashing throws. Since they are zero frame being too close isn't that good. I've learned to frame trap and hit confirm when I see a hit, but do you know any other ways?

The best way to deal with it in my experience is to just have good spacing. Sol's command grab outranges all throws, so the best place to be is just outside of your opponents throw range and just inside Wild Throw range.

The other typical way to beat it is to jump.

Yea I've just had trouble opening people up sometimes. lately I've been shortening my string, I was using alot of 5h and that's not really that good if a chain unless hit confirming 5s to 5h.

I think I'm struggling with general neutral game. Once getting the knockdown I'm not maximizing the damage from it, nor setting up correctly. These are thr glaring issues I need to fix. Playing against KY and Eddie I had to learn to be patient when getting in. Staying in is thr hard part, and tips/ frame traps. Mostly what I've been using is normals into 6p. Delaying strings off of 2s work but I think sometimes if you space yourself to far away then there's no point. My pressure game might be off.

If you're looking for advice on neutral and oki, I suggest looking at the early posts in this thread (if you haven't already), as that's what was being discussed.

You might be right -- I don't think I've tested safe-jumping Robo-Ky's dp since relatively early in Accent Core, so it has been a while. I'll do some testing when I get home.

EDIT: Ok, I just tested. Robo-Ky had full meter, and I set Sol to do sweep and then j.S as low to the ground and as meaty as I could make it. If Robo-Ky blocked, the move came out, and Robo-Ky was put into block stun. If Robo-Ky did reversal dp (meaning the word "Reversal" appeared on the screen), Sol was on the ground blocking, and blocked the first hit.

So, yeah. I was able to safe jump Robo-Ky's level 3 dp with j.S (unless I'm missing something wonky with training mode and Robo-Ky's dp isn't automatically at level 3 with full meter).

I also tested j.H(2) and didn't get a true safe-jump (I didn't test j.H(1) -- I figured j.S probably covered that since they're the same level move), but the first hit of j.H always clashed with the first hit of Robo-Ky's dp, so it still seemed pretty safe.

Finally put +R in again and tried, dunno what I was on before but yeah I am able to safejump j.S the Robo-Ky and Jam 3f DPs. Also j.HS(2) worked on Jam's. Good to know!

Finally put +R in again and tried, dunno what I was on before but yeah I am able to safejump j.S the Robo-Ky and Jam 3f DPs. Also j.HS(2) worked on Jam's. Good to know!

Xrd made you better without realizing it:0

So the next question I have that I cant really wrap my head around in GG is frame traps. How do they work in this game, I know the concept is to delay strings with gaps in them that when your opponent presses a button you either get counter hits or beat the move clean. What are some good frame traps with Sol? I would just like some basic ones so I have an idea for myself and can then lab up to figure more out.

A good, reliable frame trap you can use is 2P (or 2K)> 6P. 6P offers great reward on CH and in the corner, along with it beating a lot of moves

2P > delay 2D, and 6P > delay c.S/2D are also good. Also c.S > delay 6P/2D. 6P and 2D are the most rewarding so when possible those are good to use. c.S and 6P give the most options on block if they didn't get frame trapped. 5HS/2HS can work too but they aren't as practical. VV is the ultimate frame trap tool since it can't lose if your timing is off and usually just beats whatever they do other than block. Also can be used when you're at more disadvantage than other frame trap options. Of course it's risky without RC.

Idea is to use frame traps at points in blockstrings which the opponent has been encouraged to press buttons, such as tick throw points or ambitious pressure restart attempts. So there are plenty other times you can apply them but these are some common examples.

There isn't a lot comparable between them unless we're talking super generally, but Sol is one of the simpler characters when compared to the entire cast.

Sign in to follow this