Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR-Raiden

[+R] Sol vs. Kliff

Use this thread to discuss the vs. Kliff matchup in +R.

I will be editing this first post with information on the matchup soon.

Match Start:

• -

Neutral:

• -

Offense:

• Fafnir will whiff a crouch-blocking Kliff from long range. Be aware of this when trying for f.S > 5H > Fafnir(RC) to close in on him, it will not work reliably from long range.
  • -

Defense:

• -
  • Punishes (on block/reaction):

Combo Notes:

[*]Lightweight: combos are similar between Baiken, Bridget, Jam, Kliff, May.

[*]-

[*]If you IB the last hit of his flying drill special, you can punish with air hit CH f.S > BB. Example shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=7fjVz5P0hIM&t=8m38s

[*]-

One of the first things to understand about Kliff is he has really strange hurtboxes. By strange, I mean good grief, whoever drew them must've mistaken his giant butter knife as a robotic arm or something.

His jumpins are massive, but they extend his hurtbox by a lot. 6P will beat his favorites, j.S and j.H. I've even see it hit BEHIND me, from like, 20 feet away. Kliff is weird.

Usually when jumping in with j.S, Kliff will gatling into j.H. There is a gap here that you can VV.

Kliff's air movement is very strange. He's slow and floaty, and his airdash doesn't go very far. This can prove very useful to you when throwing gunflames. A person's natural instinct will be to instant airdash over it. At most ranges, Kliff's airdash simply doesn't want to go past the gunflame.

If the Kliff isn't aware of this, he'll probably try to IAD and j.S over your gunflame. As mentioned earlier, for whatever reason Kliff's hitboxes just make no sense.IADing normally is fine, but if he presses something he just gets hit. This will lead to a trade, and obviously a CH from your gunflame is WAY more favorable than getting hit by his j.S. You have more than enough time to run up and confirm into combo.

His best option for dealing with your gunflame is using Nape Saddle (214K) which I just call the "pole vault." It has massive range, and can usually catch you and knock you down if you try to GF at fullscreen. Due to the hitbox of this move, it seems not as reliable if you're a bit closer. Thus:

Gunflame fullscreen, where you'd seemingly feel safe? Probably not safe.
    Gunflame around midscreen distances, where he'd want to try to IAD? Probably safer. Either way, you should just FRC it and run under him; his airdash is super slow so you can easily get behind him and 5K.

Kliff will end combos with 236S Bellowing Roar (large fire thing) which leads to a slide. If he tries to pole vault afterward without FRCing, you can usually just VV it. If he's in front of you, he'll get hit. If he's above you or slightly behind you, he gets hit. If he goes completely behind you, sometimes you get a grand viper, which'll sometimes even cleanhit or counterhit if you don't mash it at all.

His 214S Skullcrusher (the dumb looking spin move) can be horrifically negative if spaced improperly. If he does it stupidly close to you, you can run up and wild throw him. If you're hit by it, or he uses it in a combo, it's pretty safe to burst. He keeps moving forward during the Burst startup invuln so there's not a chance of it whiffing.

Other random notes:

His 2H is a low. It doesn't exactly look like one, but it is.
    His supers are awfully lackluster. Once tried to punish my gunflame with 236236H (the giant fire super) and gunflame beat it completely. It seems to extend his hurtbox quite a bit.

Kliff gets stunned really easily. His stun value is down there with Dizzy and Chipp, and a lot of his moves actually raise his own stun. Unfortunately, he's short, and IK will whiff on him. If you stun him, do NOT go for it.

As VR-Raiden mentioned, f.S > HS > Fafnir will cause the Fafnir to whiff on a crouching Kliff at far distances. Be wary of this.

All of this comes from playing with my roommate, who, while fairly new to GG itself, has been playing FGs as long as I have and is pretty knowledgable. If something here seems incorrect, feel free to dispute. Discussion is a good thing.

So from corner throw on Kliff, I like mini-dustloop over going for SW stuff (same as other light weights, but especially on him). I find it much more consistent.

throw > 5K(1) > c.S > j.D > falling j.D > dash j.D > dj.D > SVV - 145

If you get the height/timing wrong VV knockdown can miss after the second j.D, just doing j.H(1) instead makes it pretty foolproof.