Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psykotik

[CP] Carl tech + gimmicks thread

I kinda realized that we don't really have a thread to share our cute little tricks and such so I'm making one right now. I'm not going to police this thread like I am with the video thread but please try to not go off on too big of a tangent, guys. Discussion is okay but don't go off track too much (that's what we have general discussion for).

I'll update the OP with random tech that people have contributed as time goes by.

Mixups

Crossunder w/normals

- Here's some crossunder tech from Pen_Ninja (confirmed to work in CP)

Fuzzy guard

- This is quite simple. If the opponent blocks a deep j.B/C from Carl, Carl can do a dashing rising j.A for a fuzzy overhead (and maybe j.B against bigger opponents). A lot of the time, this can be converted into a full combo although you may have to use some unorthodox combo routes to make this happen.

- This also works if the opponent blocks 2D, in which case, Carl can do rising j.A/B for the fuzzy.

- This video showcases some fuzzy setups

Volante Tick Throw

- Volante has very low hitstun and can be used to set up tick throws

Corner cross-ups

- Carl can use the vacuum effect of Tenerezza (46D) to pull opponents from the corner, giving him access to corner crossups. Tenerezza is the only known way to set this up so be careful to not be too telegraphed when using this.

Oki

Unblockable Oki

- This is best done in the corner. Off a knockdown, use fuoco as oki and then charge 6C as soon as you can. The fuoco will hold them down and allow you to get the full charge for the 6C unblockable. If your opponent doesn't emergency tech and opts to rolls away from the corner, fuoco will catch them and you can release 6C for the groundbounce into a prorated combo. Note that characters with reversals beat this very easily so be wary about doing this setup against those characters.

Volante Oki

- Throw out volante over your opponent as they emergency tech for a meaty oki setup. You can also throw in a 2B to catch rollers and non-techers. For some reason, this setup allows for doing green throws despite it being a meaty setup, giving Carl a unique okizeme option that most characters don't have.

Other stuff

Carl dash momentum cancel

- Carl can cancel the first 5-6 frames of his dash into an attack or a jump. One thing to note from this is that Carl retains his forward momentum from the dash if he does this. As such, this can either be used with his attacks to give them a bit more range or with his jumps to give him a horizontally quicker jump and give him a new angle to approach from in the air.

Wake up doll reversal

- Carl can control his doll while he's teching and give her inputs even before his invincibility frames end. As such, if Carl is knocked down and Ada is right next to the opponent, Carl can tech, input Brio and the Brio comes out even if Carl is hit. This is especially powerful if Nirvana is facing the corner as if the opponent is hit, he'll bounce off the corner and you can then confirm into a damaging combo thanks to Brio's low proration. If the opponent respects your "reversal" and blocks the brio, Carl will recover in time to continue pressure, making this an extremely strong if not somewhat situational defensive option. This also works with Tenerezza, which is a good alternative against opponents who can pressure you while low profiling the Brio.

Silenced Volante

- Anytime Carl does Volante, he always shouts out the name of the move. If Carl uses a move that makes him produce a sound during the "startup" of Volante's audio cue, the rest of the Volante shout is cancelled out by the sound of the move Carl did. This can be utilised with offscreen volantes to great effect.

- Note that Carl has to do some kind of move to cancel the Volante shout. A whiffed normal from Carl with Nirvana offscreen could potentially act as a tell against acute opponents.

Dashing Allegretto

- Since Carl's forward dash puts him in a midair state, if 214C is performed early enough during the dash, Carl can perform Allegretto in the middle of a dash, giving him access to a surprisingly far-reaching poke. If the opponent blocks the allegretto, you can RC it to create a 50/50 in which you can either do j.A during the short amount of time Carl falls down or simply do 2A when he lands.

Nee-san's last stand

- If Nirvana uses up the rest of her energy to perform a move, it will not be interrupted if Carl blocks, is hit or techs a throw/gets his throw teched. One trick you can do with this is to set up a pseudo clap loop setup where you purple throw a mid-air opponent while doing an 8D close to them. If they tech the throw but forget to air barrier, they will get hit by the air-UB 8D and you can follow up with a solo air combo. Not extremely useful but it's a fun gimmick to throw out if the chance presents itself.

Same Attack combo resets

With the "new" same attack combo mechanic, your combos are likely to pretty much end whenever you use the same Ada attack twice in a combo. This also applies to 6C and allegretto. Because the combo ends here it's easy to set up for a reset without worrying about it combining or anything similar. I've found a few setups so far.

Mid screen: ... 5C, 46D, late air dash, j.B, j.2C, j.B, j.C, 46D, 236A. The combo ends after the 46D activates SAC and you're left in CNO. At this point you can do IAD j.2C~214C for a cross up.

Corner: 5B, 6B, 623C, 6D, 5C, j.B, j.2C, 214C, 8D(1hit), IAD j.2C, 214C, 8D(2hits).

The SAC kicks in after the 2nd 214C and the combo drops between the 1st and 2nd hits of 8D. If your opponent wasn't holding barrier while they teaches, they'll get hit.

I guess it's ok? Dunno what you'd need to reserve though, I'm just reserving the second post in case I go over the character limit in the first post so I can keep updating the OP lol.

That's one thing I intend to play with. Something like 5A>2A>5B>2B>5C>6D>236A>5A vs 5A>2A>5B>2B>5C>46D>236A>2A. The latter obviously crossing up for the last 2A. I'll need to figure out what the best timing for 46D is so that 1. The 236A>2A doesn't leave a gap in the blockstring or look to obvious and 2. The 2A crossup isn't auto-blocked because they're still in 46D block stun.

I'm thinking about setting up some sort of chat for Carl players to discuss stuff without it being a string of comments in this forum (IRC Chat or something? I'm not overly experienced). Any thoughts? I know if I do set something up I'll be all over it for the next few weeks with new CP stuff.

Yeah, would be nice, cuz honestly I try to avoid posting cuz I don't wanna clutter.

With 46D now, seems like you could do some really weird fake crossup things with non-allecan j.2Cs into fuzzyguard. Wait till the j.2C would bounce back over the opponent when 46D bits then do j.A>j.B

5b>2b>5c>6D/8~jump>(delay IAD>Jb>jc) or land>2b>5B

For this specific reset, the 6D can be replaced with any Ada attack. It is so far used for empty jump setups. Can be done in block or in hitstun.

8D knockdown> meaty 6D/8~jump: CON

Blocked- Empty jump mixup

Roll catch confirm- j2c>jb>jb>j2c>jc>2D>5c>jb>j2c>jb>jb>jc>8D

8Dknockdown> immediately hold 6C/ fucco~ Best used in conjunction with 6D oki setup/gimmick: CON

Blocked- Continue to charge 6C until fully charged

Blocked while opponent has 50heat- On tech release 6c(whiff)>2a

Roll catch- 6C fully charged>optional air combo back into 8D oki

8D knockdown> volante oki: CON

Neutral tech- Vivace A crossup>3c>46D>vivace>6B>6a>air combo>8D oki

Delay tech-Vivace A crossup>vivace>2b>6a>brio>combo filler>8D oki

roll catch- vivace>5c>combo filler>jc oki

Throw: A+B

What a revolutionary find, nobody will be blocking this mixup! (Also, I think you meant B+C :P)

Looks like the j.3ADA>j.B unblockable is much easier now. Wonder what setups can lead into it?

I can tell you there'll definitely be a lot of setups for this; I reserved that post in the combo thread for a reason. I've already got 3-4 setups I want to test when I get my hands on the game.

Probably not as usful as before, but should still get you about 20-30 heat and 2500-3000 dmg. No loops though @.@

Actually, you can get about 4k meterless + more if you spend meter. With even more ways to go into the UB setup, I'd actually say that the UB's just as practical as ever.

I agree. I've seen a bunch of unblockable setups off completely random confirms. It seems like you can just throw a bunch of j.As in there if you're not close enough to the required proration.

I feel like the main challenge for unblockables in CSE was getting a crouching opponent into a standing state which meant you either needed to hit them with 6C or 623C~RC but now in CP, you can just use 46D. The other problem was trying to buy enough hit stun to get a jump in without dropping the combo. Our options for that were 3D, 8D or sometimes some odd things like 5B>j.B>6D>66(air dash)>j.A etc... Now we can just use 46D for that as well because the hit-stun on it is long enough in most cases.

tl;dr: it looks like 46D makes unblockable setups easy.

Then as Psykotik mentioned, we can get some pretty decent damage afterwards meterless and the ability to use a CT almost immediately really ramps up the damage for only 25 meter.

46D still sounds rediculous in the corner. You can: vivace A crossup 2A or try and be sneaky with 6C, vivace and throw, allecan int mixup, fake j.2C crossup into fuzzy, faked fake j.2C into fuzzy, and there's always the new CT.

The crossunder stuff still works in CP :toot:

looks like i have something to learn then

also, im going digital -_- importing turned out to be EXACTLY how I figured

For someone who plays against a guy who uses Carl a lot, I need to know how to get out that j.A/3D unblockable reset if I'm playing a character that doesn't have a DP. Any tips?

Without a dp, your best bet is that the timing gets skewed and you jump soon enough that you block j.A and can barrier by 3D. Its really hard to get out of once you're locked in, that's why Carl is the god of mixup and only has 9.5k hp xD also, if you notice the timing is off and you have a fast 5A, you could attempt to mash out of it, since CH unblockable doesn't give any reward other than being unblockable. Either way, this should have probably been asked in our/your characters matchup thread :O

With the "new" same attack combo mechanic, your combos are likely to pretty much end whenever you use the same Ada attack twice in a combo. This also applies to 6C and allegretto. Because the combo ends here it's easy to set up for a reset without worrying about it combining or anything similar. I've found a few setups so far.

Mid screen: ... 5C, 46D, late air dash, j.B, j.2C, j.B, j.C, 46D, 236A. The combo ends after the 46D activates SAC and you're left in CNO. At this point you can do IAD j.2C~214C for a cross up.

Corner: 5B, 6B, 623C, 6D, 5C, j.B, j.2C, 214C, 8D(1hit), IAD j.2C, 214C, 8D(2hits).

The SAC kicks in after the 2nd 214C and the combo drops between the 1st and 2nd hits of 8D. If your opponent wasn't holding barrier while they teaches, they'll get hit.