Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Tsubaki Yayoi Questions and Answers Thread

Just for everyone out there, what type of controller do you use to play Tsubaki? Also what aspects of Tsubaki do you think are more suited to each type of controller? I am just curious as a D-pad player here.

I play on a TE Stick and sometimes on my PS3 controller when I don't need the noise. I think Tsubaki is pretty easy on pad and may be easier regarding dash resets and pressure. My presence of mind is probably just much more fluent on stick right now. I rather Tk j.236A and command grab on a stick by far. 

Hori HRAP-EXSE; Don't play fighting games on pad because I learned on stick, so I don't have an opinion.

I started playing PS3 pad with Tsubaki and I still do. As far as aspects go, I think it's just what you're more comfortable with. Before CP came out, I tried Tsubaki with a stick, but ended up scraping the idea since I didn't like the feel. Occasionally I'll play on PS4 pad, but never consistently because my USBs keep getting shorts in them.

When people jump over you in the corner and barrier in that way which makes your AA and DP whiff what do you do? Do you just leave? She has no attacks that hit directly above her, so what can you do?

Ah, every time I have tried to jump I just get smacked. Jin and Ragna do this all the time. I guess I just need to try harder.

Hey, how do people deal with people that jump or double jump just above there heads. It's the one place that I need to learn to react to in that scramble. I'm so used to using 5a anti-air with Litchi. A jin crossup j.D murders me. 

My initial quick answer was to j.A. I haven't played in a few days though (visiting nephew and all that extra internet lag). 

In those situations most people murder them with an airgrab. Jin eat's a throw counter 90% of the time.

Yeah, see my comment above. ;P

The other alternative is to not anti air them and just dash forwards and get out of that mess.

Umm. Hello. Im picked up tsubaki like two months ago and this is the first fighting game I actually picked up. Is Tsubaki reliant on frame traps. Im not sure im playing her right. Im aware she doesnt have the best mixup game but im lost. I get wins but I dont know how im supposed to break my opponents defence.

Umm. Hello. Im picked up tsubaki like two months ago and this is the first fighting game I actually picked up. Is Tsubaki reliant on frame traps. Im not sure im playing her right. Im aware she doesnt have the best mixup game but im lost. I get wins but I dont know how im supposed to break my opponents defence.

Yeah, she is a bit reliant on them. You'll get pushed out of range in pressure pretty easily and people will try to disrespect you by jabbing or even trying to DP all of your strings and resets. You can frametrap by putting slight delays in her followup moves or knowing your frame data. I'm pretty bad at frametrapping with followups mid match. I get most of my counter-hits/hits by confusing people where my resets are or baiting there punishes (very straightforward vanilla). I think even 5A>5B is a frametrap according to Kiba's guide, 6B>5B etc. 

Speaking of things, I think in general, I am not masking my intent in gameplay enough. I think I'm overall straightforward and I'm not concealing myself in neutral/footsie game. Also, I think so much recent ranked matches due to low numbers in lobbies allowed me to start overextending myself more than norming. I got too frustrated in the Tsubaki/Ragna matchup yesterday. I bodied the Ragna player and then lost the next 5 matches after he solved my orbs. 

Yeah, she is a bit reliant on them. You'll get pushed out of range in pressure pretty easily and people will try to disrespect you by jabbing or even trying to DP all of your strings and resets. You can frametrap by putting slight delays in her followup moves or knowing your frame data. I'm pretty bad at frametrapping with followups mid match. I get most of my counter-hits/hits by confusing people where my resets are or baiting there punishes (very straightforward vanilla). I think even 5A>5B is a frametrap according to Kiba's guide, 6B>5B etc. 

Speaking of things, I think in general, I am not masking my intent in gameplay enough. I think I'm overall straightforward and I'm not concealing myself in neutral/footsie game. Also, I think so much recent ranked matches due to low numbers in lobbies allowed me to start overextending myself more than norming. I got too frustrated in the Tsubaki/Ragna matchup yesterday. I bodied the Ragna player and then lost the next 5 matches after he solved my orbs.

That matchup and hazama matchup is just annoying for as well. Is there anyway I can work on my frame traps tho. I also too play her very straightforward. 0-0 I play jam in GG which explains my lack of resets..

I'm not sure. Hazama I've been using air orbs at full screen, just out of chain reach, to make him not want to approach by air as a launch will send him flying into it. But it's along okay if you aren't predictable. Ragna you gotta space it perfectly. The worst you can do is do it too high and let him run under you. I try to get them to expect it and mix in IAD j.C, neutral jumps or something else. I'm sure the higher level Tsubaki players (regarding me) will have some ideas. 

I'm not sure. Hazama I've been using air orbs at full screen, just out of chain reach, to make him not want to approach by air as a launch will send him flying into it. But it's along okay if you aren't predictable. Ragna you gotta space it perfectly. The worst you can do is do it too high and let him run under you. I try to get them to expect it and mix in IAD j.C, neutral jumps or something else. I'm sure the higher level Tsubaki players (regarding me) will have some ideas.

Cool thanks. You play labrys? Never figured her out, she looks awesome. Only played her once on my friend's copy if p4 arena.

Yeah, I played her in P4A. Besides the tremendous range and potential damage output, in hindsight, she actually doesn't feel that much different from Tsubaki. Both need momentum and struggle for rushdown but kinda struggle keeping it. 

I think even 5A>5B is a frametrap according to Kiba's guide, 6B>5B etc.

It is. 9 frames blockstun on 5A, 10 frames startup on 5B. Also, you probably mean 5B > 6B for that second one.

I got too frustrated in the Tsubaki/Ragna matchup yesterday. I bodied the Ragna player and then lost the next 5 matches after he solved my orbs.

Were you using ground orb as well as air orb? It helps to mix it up a bit. But yeah, I haven't mastered this one either. x.x

It is. 9 frames blockstun on 5A, 10 frames startup on 5B. Also, you probably mean 5B > 6B for that second one.

Were you using ground orb as well as air orb? It helps to mix it up a bit. But yeah, I haven't mastered this one either. x.x

I started to after my air game got figured out. Sometimes I just have to accept that I have to sit there and block that stuff. 

You will learn that you definitely cannot rely on frame traps because people will use those gaps in your pressure to outright leave your pressure. What you need to learn is what the either safest or most effective option you have in each matchup is and what you need to do in order to stay on someone. Learn how to play chargeless because you may find yourself without any resources for entire rounds because of how terrible some of her matchups are.

I don't know if this is the best thing to do because it really has not been working so far, but I just like to throw out as many gimmicks as possible at the beginning before moving onto Tsubaki's core gameplay (which is also super gimmicky).

I don't know if you want to throw all your gimmicks right off the bat, but I am convinced that the more gimmicks you have, the harder it will be for people to keep track of them all. :P

I still regret no longer being able to do 236D reset shenanigans off just about anything.

I'm talking about stuff like doing a short combo off a standing confirm but ending with 236B then going for a grab kind of gimmicks because those only work once. Of course the opponent needs to be gauged to first to see if they either mash or jump out of (intentionally) dropped combos. If they are smart they will jump and leave, but if they mash you can do some delayed 22B/214B shenanigans to catch them trying to either jab mash or throw mash in anticipation of your dash in to grab. I guess this only works in low levels though.

Oh yeah just as a general thing what buttons do you use to mash when you know your opponent did something unsafe frame data-wise? I find that 5A is incredibly unreliable because it either whiffs completely due to its lacking range or trades with the opponent's superior-ranged 5A. Do you guys use 2A or even 5C?

And these punishable things I am talking about are not the obviously punishable things like conventional DPs where you have years to run up and punish people, but things that are around the -6 to -12 range on block.