Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psykotik

[CP] Carl vs Bullet

Discuss the Bullet matchup here

Random notes

- Her DP sucks. A spaced 2B that hits at the tip will actually be safe from it.
- Vivace is not the best option in this matchup if she's in the air and has Lv2/3 heat as her aerial drive will punish it.

This isn't a fun matchup for me at all. It may be because I'm still learning the character, but once she's in it's hard to get her off. It's hard to try and punish any of her blockstrinsgs. My friend will 5ABC me to death then followup with another 5A to stuff any counterpokes, once you're commited to sitting defensively in one particular way, they can easily go for a high/low/throw/or barrier crush(rarely happens, but it's still there). I haven't seen too many high level matches regarding the two, but it seems that the Carl player tries to play "aggressive" first before she does it to him.

As a Carl player, you're always going to be fairly weak on defence and always looking to get back on the offense.

You need to be very very good at blocking and intelligently escaping pressure. A quick look at Bullet's frame data tells me that 5C is even on block which means you should be able to get your 6 frame jab in before she has time to both dash up and throw her own 6 frame jab. That's if he's being predictable and doing 665ABC 665ABC and you're really feeling yourself. I recommend really working on your instant blocks for match ups with 0 on block situations as it gives you a huge advantage. Usually I'll instant block and choose a point to Backdashes where I know my opponent has no safe way to chase me down without some intense yomi.

Long story short, this seems to be a fairly back and forth MU depending on who has the pressure going as both sides are good on offense and bad on defense. Play your neutral game well and don't let up pressure when you get it. Always be scheming for some way out of pressure if you're being hit. Getting a counter like is good but just being back in neutral is just as helpful.

Haha, I'll try to counter-poke with 5A next time, but bullet using that blockstring is still actually close enough to do 2A herself(I know I said 5A in my earlier post, I meant 2A).

Not to mention she also has better buttons in the neutral game. Some of those buttons(especially j.C) is kind of ridiculous.

Unless you barrier, Bullet will be in range for her 2A after a 5C. Her 2C and 6C both let her continue pressure, but they carry their risks, and of course spending drive can keep it moving, but that's limited. Course, Bullet's main strength is that once she's in she sticks to you like glue, so I think your best route is to play patient and make a guess as to what she'll do after 5C (chickenblocking seems especially hard to deal with after 5C). She doesn't really have many mixup tools to work with so you could probably get used to blocking/teching them pretty quickly.

Also keep in mind Bullet's neutral game is rather neutered until she builds Heat, so it may be beneficial for you to deny her drive finishes when you have burst. Bullet has to put in quite a bit of work to get through Nirvana, so keeping her in that situation for just a bit longer can be a good way to frustrate them.

Bullet does have a reversal (looks like a grab), but it has abysmal range and doesn't help much in getting out of the sandwich. So for the most part Carl can do Carl things on pressure and it should be pretty easy from there. This is a very momentum driven matchup, so get the first hit.

EDIT: Concept match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhsoYBHPhRw&t=12m20s

-Carl player plays patiently under pressure, but goes ham on offense.

-Bullet's dp being a turd of a special

-Bursts after Bullet uses an RC to try to get 2 Heat levels.

Seems like a typical matchup all around

Bullet can be destroyed very easily at neutral. So long as you are keeping Ada aggressive and Carl defensive then you should have no problems. Be at a distance where if Ada lands a CH you will be able to either combo or continue pressure but still out of her Lvl 2 Drive, even if she doesnt have the stock. Doing this will keep her from gaining lvl's with her charge and keeping her away. Neutral is the best way to deal with her!! On the off chance that she does catch you. Blocking is always the way to go. Her Lvl 1 Drive and lower on IB can be punished so if she ever does that grab that B and teach her that when she does a D she needs to block. Barrier blocking is also very helpful, if forces her to use her Drives if she expects to continue pressure. So when she gets in barrier block, so that she cannot use her OH. Her OH can only gattling from 5a & 5B if your barrier blocking she has no moves other that 5a that can cancel into an OH and actually reach you. Which means she would be forced to continue her pressure by expending her D lvl's. And to block her D mixup just stay standing her low is way more noticable than her OH so just stay standing till you see her flip then crouch. All in all, id say she is very easy to deal with. Just be patient and IB a lot.