Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psykotik

[CP] Carl vs Rachel

Discuss the Rachel matchup here

Random notes:

- This is an extremely neutral-focused matchup where both sides are offensive monsters with defensive shortcomings. The gameplan for both will be trying to zone the other out while figuring out how to get in. Expect longer matches that could potentially result in time-outs.

- If Rachel does a pumpkin call near Ada, she can actually be punished for it depending on where she is. Use Brio and Tenerezza for air and ground punishes respectively.

- Rachel has rather poor defensive options. Moves with grab properties (anima, cantabile, throw (duh)) beat her only "reversal".

- If she knock you down and gets a setup, respect it on wakeup. Don't try to get cute with Vivace or backdash, most of the options in pressure can blow both of them up.

- Counter assaults should be used with extremely caution in this match as Rachel can bait them very easily. Generally, counter assaulting while being locked down by George is rather risky. With that said, you can control Ada during counter assaults to make them semi-safe.

- A Vivace is great for avoiding lobelias in this match in neutral and pressure. B Vivace shouldn't see as much usage in this match due to its recovery.

- If Rachel uses TD and Ada is alive w/sufficient health, use her as a meatshield to avoid getting pinned down by Tempest Dahlia.

- Try to avoid letting George touch you in neutral as it'll let Rachel get in for free. With that said, if you do block George for whatever reason, IB him (it's very easy!) for some free heat.

- j.2C doesn't one-shot George anymore :( Tenerezza does however :cool:

- Watch her wind meter during her pressure; it'll dictate the times she can IOH you as well as the reward she'll get off it.

- Rachel combos often hurt more than they look like they should, especially when she has resources. Keep this in mind while getting comboed and deciding when to burst.

- Ada can absorb lotuses as they fly towards you. She won't be able to do this for lotuses coming from behind though.

Updated this one with a few of my observations from playing a few Rachel matches. Anyone who wants to contribute more here is welcome to.

A few things I've found in this MU:

- While you can walk behind Ada to block Tiny Lobelias, Rachel can Sword Iris (lightning) them immediately, that's before they hit the floor so don't get too comfortable and think you're safe until they land.

- The Rachel I play will occasionally use 3C into A Tiny Lobelia to reset pressure. I've found that if you instant block 3C, you can react to the lobelia and A Vivace through it for a 2A punish. This is very unsafe if they do anything but Tiny Lobelia but the startup is slow enough to react to.

- I'm not sure if George activates from further away now or something but I've noticed that it's a lot easier to activate George and then dodge his attack than it was in Extend. I'm told that the George cooldown has been almost doubled so wasting a George without spending any doll meter is a big win.

- If for whatever reason, in the heat of the moment, you get hit with 2C NOT a counter hit... you appear to be at a frame advantage on hit. Not really enough to punish it on hit but enough to start pressure.

- Don't let them get away with air pumpkin call with Ada anywhere near by. The recovery on that thing is more than it looks and even a sloppy Brio can usually CH them out of it allowing for a full combo anywhere near the corner.

- I still need to fully test this but I believe you should have no trouble at all comboing out of 4D in CNO formation if you use Ada to beast through a Tempest Dalia as all the projectiles lose their hitbox after the first hit. It's possible that this is not the case for the giant pumpkin or frog as I think I've seen them hit twice. More testing to come.

- While the pushback on instant barrier (or just barrier) blocking seems feels like it just gets ignored all the time, it generally forces the Rachel to use more wind, more often to keep on the pressure.