Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superscience890

[CP] Bang vs Carl

Coming from playing Psykotik semi frequently who I believe to be in the top 3 Carl players on the continent with a roughly 40-60 win rate if I'm playing well (which I believe is about the expected for the matchup) here are my notes.

1. Don't get hit. Seriously.

It might sound like a donk but I'm going to be quite honest if you get hit by a good Carl you're probably going to have to burst. There is very few confirms Carl doesn't like to have for example:

j.A air to air leads into j.A teleport Ada j.AAC knockdown into command roll/fuoco option select. If you neutral tech like you should, you will have to block fuoco as a crossup followed by a likely near unreactable series of sandwich mixups. If you roll like an idiot fuoco hits you, you eat a combo and end up in a similar situation. 

Now that out of the way, how can a matchup where getting hit = death be only 4-6? Well to be honest Carl's wakeup is ass and his buttons are ok at best. Seen mostly by Carl constantly hiding behind Ada waiting for his opponent to make a mistake. Ada has GOOD ass buttons and doesn't have a health bar that when depleted loses Carl the game so obviously he's going to take his "risks" with her when he can.

This is where Bang and most other close range brawlers get their in vs Carl. If all you do is beat up the doll Carl isn't going to win so he is forced to come to you AT SOME POINT. This matchup takes extreme patience at the high level, but it's all about forcing Carl to make a mistake and capitalizing. Nails in the neutral are pretty ass as Ada eats them and Brio will smack you clean out of the air if you do something stupid. (1.subpoint1: don't get counter hit by Brio)

And so where are we? We want to beat up Ada and we don't want to use nails. Another prerequisite for our plan of attack is we need to be able to jump cancel. Say you run up 5B 2B to interrupt Ada's attack. 2B is not jump cancelable so if Carl IADs at us and spams jump A we will have no answer to him and he's going to confirm it into command roll for a crossup into pain and suffering. This is why the goto Ada slapping string is 2B 5B. If Carl tries to IAD at us to protect nee-san we now can answer with jump back j.B or jump forward rising jump A depending on his distance from us and confirm it into something.

This is the neutral vs Carl in a nutshell suffice to say. It took me a long ass time to figure out how to play it since it's so different from any other matchup, but you'll be amazed how much easier it gets playing like this instead of mindlessly airdashing and throwing D nails. If Carl isn't biting when you smack Ada just keep doing 2B 5B jump cancel land d2B 5B. If the doll dies at any point you can go fucking bananas and Carl doesn't want that to happen so eventually he'll do something. Things to watch out for: that one armor move. I dont even know what it's called, but it's really slow and easy to avoid even if you punch it. Something ACTUALLY threatening: Anima now has armor in CPE and is fast enough that if you 2B 5B it, it will grab you and FATAL. I don't have a clear cut answer for this yet lol. Need to have the reads.

=================================

ONCE YOU GOT THE FUCKER KNOCKED DOWN

1. If you burst Carl off of you as you're running/IADing back at him to try to get momentum he really likes to do wakeup Volante. If you actually get him blocking by throwing Dnails be prepared to get slapped in the back of a head by a black ball of magic. I don't think he can do this on a raw "Bang is standing on top of me help" knockdown but I am unsure, confirm/deny Carl players plz

2. He likes to wake up command roll. Especially on netplay. You can punish this with a spaced/timed 2A. They tech roll, 2A hits, confirm into combo. They command roll, 2A whiffs, meaty 5B slap they dumb ass with big boy damage. They neutral tech, 2A whiffs, dash up and do real pressure.

3. His backdash dodges meaty command grab clean. Also command roll dodges it so lmao dont even try

=================================

FUCK IM BLOCKING WHAT DO I DO

Mostly pray. Be ready to block crossup if you see a command roll and react the best you can. Most of the standard pressure is designed to counter hit you mashing, so if you can actually somehow weather the storm you should be able to eventually jump out and reset to neutral. If he does oki Rhapsody of Memories you do a slightly delayed 6D (first hit is a little slow) and do a C teleport. It will likely get stuffed, but you are a 99% going to eat a combo into a reset otherwise. 

Here's a handy chart to how helpful 6D will be on wakeup in general

28691768f0.png

Also I mash Ashura in this matchup a lot. In most cases I have to do it in the opposite direction as he will try to cross me up, but if he blocks it in the air you can freely reset to neutral from that point.

Fuck I'm sure there's more to say, but I'm blanking. We'll use that as a starting point I guess.

Seeing as reiscarred's writeup only scratches the surface of Carl pressure, I thought I'd try to contribute a bit to this.

Basic pressure flowchart

A typical solo blockstring from Carl will look something like:

2A 5A 5B 2B 6B

This alone is quite underwhelming, especially since Carl doesn't have any + on block moves he can easily throw out. So to keep you blocking, he'll tack on a doll normal at the end of a string to keep frame advantage so he can go into another normal blockstring and keep repeating it.

Now he can do blockstrings like...

2A 5A 5B 2B 6B 6D 2A 5A 5B 2B 6B 6D 2A 5A 5B 2B 6B 6D... etc

Which looks intimidating and all until you realize there's no mixup behind this string. Carl has to set up his strings in specific ways that'll allow him to get a mixup.

Setting up mixup

Carl has way too many possible ways to set up a mixup so I won't cover everything. Instead, I'll mention more popular setups amongst low-intermediate level players like to autopilot and how to defend against them. Note that this assumes the Carl player is skilled enough to be able to execute his blockstrings and frame traps on a decent level.

6C setup (overhead) from 6B:

Carl can only gattle into 6C from 5A, 2A, 6B and 5B. 6B > 6C is the most common spot to do 6C since 6B conveniently moves Carl forward so he gets in range to do 6C. Because Carl doesn't have any low options after 6B, you usually only have to worry about blocking high after you see it. Depending on how Carl sets up the string, you can also beat this in the following ways:

- Uncovered 6B > 6C: Mash/jump out. There's a huge gap between these moves and if the doll's not there to cover him, this string becomes a very unsafe string.

- 6B > doll > 6C: Most lower-level Carls will opt for this to cover the gap. If Carl sets it up well enough, you can't mash between 6B and 6C due to doll. Since 6C is 0 on block however, if you instant block 6C, Carl will be at -2. From there, you can mash out and start your pressure.

Tenerezza crossups

Carl can literally do this crossup anytime he wants if he's in a sandwich w/doll ready so it's realistically very hard to defend against good Carl players that vary his crossup timings. With that said, some Carl players tend to autopilot 5B, 6B into crossup roll + doll since it's a relatively easy to execute string. Watch for 6B as a cue if the Carl likes to use this crossup a lot.

5B into IAD crossups

The infamous mixup that's haunted many since the CT days. Since Carl's only jump cancellable ground moves on block are 5B and 6A, if you fight a Carl that likes to do this crossup a lot, try looking out for when he does either of these moves and then jumping out and air-grabbing him if you think he'll go for a crossup.

Carl can do a lot more setups than the ones I just mentioned but these are the easy to perform setups that tend to be used often by low-mid level players.