Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prototype909

Bullet self-improvement and user video thread

If you need help that extends beyond the use of the match-up thread (General Critique) or want someone to review your gameplay this is the place to post your video.

Thanks for opening this one!

I'd like to start posting my video, any help, self improvement tips and so on would be greatly appreciated.

I recorded some footage of me playing with a friend of mine. The commentary is in german though, so if that should annoy you, just mute it...

We played about 30 matches on releaseday and I won like five of them, we are however both beginners,

I play BB since CT but only for its story mode, so this is my first time trying to learn it for real.

However, here is the link: BBCP Online Casuals

Things I have noticed myself:

- I always try to get in with 3C or 1C, should do j.C or 236A instead I think

- I have problems with connecting the basic combos that I tried to remember for day one stuff, after finishing the first one, its hard for me to do a second one right after

- problems with 623 motions for 623B, I play with a stick, but it still seems hard to me to do a 623B 2DD to escape a corner

- I should make more use of 41236C I think...

- ...tho I have trouble timing a 236D after 41236C

- I really have to stop trying to do random 720A's

- and I somehow can't get the 1080D after 720A 720D to work, offline no problem, but for me it feels impossible to do online

Thats what I found after watching some more replays of mine.

Hope you guys can help me out, I'd love to read your feedback.

5b, 2b, j.b, j.c are mush better approaching normals than 3c and 2c since 3c can only be special canelled and it's not very safe and 2c can only go into 5d which is risky wether you have Heat or not.

mmm don't use 623 b so much since it's slow and is really punishable instead try do a blowback *on block forward AB.* 41236c is good for getting through projectiles, surprise grab (if they are standing it can be crouched mind you),combo filler( after 5c or 3c), or combo ender midscreen so you can use after burner. it's a little hard at first but try to buffer 720A dring normals like 2b or 5c and don't try to go for the full throw combination unless it's for the kill otherwise it's better to use your meter for a rapid to get heat or to use rage aggressor as a combo ender. I noticed you're not very mobile but im guessing thats because your still getting used to stick. try and get your movement down first and foremost.

Thanks for the input! Yeah, movement seems to be my biggest flaw, that and getting more secure in doing hcf motions, they only come out most of the time not all of the time tho.

I never thought about blowbacks, thats a good one and I already tried to play around with the approaching normals you suggested, works out quite nicely.

Np also once you get your movement down (dashing, iad*instant air dash*, jump cancelling, and super jumping) move onto your bnbs which you can find in the combo thread.

Wondering if I'm just having a hard time because I suck, or if it's the matchups. Feels like a little bit of both haha.

Getting in on characters proves a bit troublesome, and maximizing damage without any heat (both meter and drive) is a bit difficult unless you open up the opponent properly. Anyone got tips on how to get a bit better damage with... even one heat level, perhaps? Also, about matchups, any early thoughts on them?

Wondering if I'm just having a hard time because I suck, or if it's the matchups. Feels like a little bit of both haha.

Getting in on characters proves a bit troublesome, and maximizing damage without any heat (both meter and drive) is a bit difficult unless you open up the opponent properly. Anyone got tips on how to get a bit better damage with... even one heat level, perhaps? Also, about matchups, any early thoughts on them?

for matchups I've only fought against azrael. try to cover your approach with flint shooter it's kinda meant to make the opponent jump over it or airdash it so you can anti air or to keep them grounded while you go for a air approach. with heat level one I don't realy suggest doing wadcutter since H1 is where you're gonna want to be for the most part (that is if you can't get to H2). her damage is gonna be around 2 -3k meterless which is pretty good but her mixups on the opponent's wake up is one of her greatest strengths. off of 6a anywhere on screen you can do 6a, 5c, 2c, 5d, RC, 5b, j.b, j.c, 6b, j.c, j.d. you can a lil bit more to it with H1 and H2 by doing j.b, j.b, j.c, 623.c, 623.d, rage agressor which is 4417

I couldn't think of a better place to post it, (feel free to put it somewhere else if you think it should be, Prototype) but yesterday I put together a combo primer for Bullet. It doesn't cover every possible option, nor are the combos all necessarily 100% optimal. However, it gives a ton of options (about 40 combos total) from all over the screen with different levels of heat the beat and meter, so I think it can be a good tool to work from. Let me know what you think.

Bullet Combo Primer

Also, thiz, 623 motion gives me some problems in Arc Sys games as well. If you are fast at quarter circles, the way I've gotten around it (if the character doesn't have a corresponding super) is to do 236236[button] very fast. Works like a charm with Bullet specifically, hope that helps.

I couldn't think of a better place to post it, (feel free to put it somewhere else if you think it should be, Prototype) but yesterday I put together a combo primer for Bullet. It doesn't cover every possible option, nor are the combos all necessarily 100% optimal. However, it gives a ton of options (about 40 combos total) from all over the screen with different levels of heat the beat and meter, so I think it can be a good tool to work from. Let me know what you think.

Bullet Combo Primer

Also, thiz, 623 motion gives me some problems in Arc Sys games as well. If you are fast at quarter circles, the way I've gotten around it (if the character doesn't have a corresponding super) is to do 236236[button] very fast. Works like a charm with Bullet specifically, hope that helps.

Thanks for the video, that and the challenge mode really compliment my understand of basic combo routes with bullet. Its very easy to forget but there are things that come up in the video often and it makes you understand what extend combos etc. Though one question is there are a few points where you can do 5B>6B for easier execution but you always just do 6B which is a bit stricter on timing. Does doing 5B>6B for relaunch not work for weak starts like 2B or is it just damage proration?

Thanks for the video, that and the challenge mode really compliment my understand of basic combo routes with bullet. Its very easy to forget but there are things that come up in the video often and it makes you understand what extend combos etc. Though one question is there are a few points where you can do 5B>6B for easier execution but you always just do 6B which is a bit stricter on timing. Does doing 5B>6B for relaunch not work for weak starts like 2B or is it just damage proration?

Thanks!~ and good question. I believe in those combos, yes I do 5B>6B when possible, and only do 6B when they would otherwise pop out. Usually after 6B you will see > high jump > JC > JD or something like that because anything else allows auto tech.

Yeah the Red lock is definitely a factor, but I need to squeeze in the cutting shear near the end too but the timing for that link is dumb

I'm not sure I can really give advice too specific since I've not yet faced a Kagura myself, but I don't really want to leave you hanging.

I watched it a few times, and I did notice a few things:

- I think you can employ the 2A roll check a bit more. You lost oki far too often responding just a little late to his roll direction, and I think you could really choke him if you could just hold him in place.

- Similarly, this is partly speculation, but it seemed like you were a bit too cautious pressuring him because of the dp. Think it would have been beneficial to use a few baits, and let him use his meter RC'ing it.

-Bullet's dp and 720 both seems useless against Kagura's range :( . think you are better off playing out the defense or maybe using OD

- Also regarding Kagura's range, I really felt like you were doing yourself a disfavor giving him so much space. Bullet's close game definitely seems superior, at least on offense, so unless you are given no other choice, I'd try to keep going in. There were several instances where you'd have him blocking, but then you'd jump back and forfeit your momentum.

I'll post my matches, too, even though I look hella free here. There are some obvious mistakes that I've already realized by myself here, but feel free to comment even on those. We're all getting used to brand-new characters, so silly mistakes are to be expected, right?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVyPvLn8SrUpg63u5ykcyReou39a5VUzt

I'll post more when a friend of mine records them from his replays, I play a bit better there.

EDIT: Uploaded more matches, now in a playlist.

You should use your heat in the corner. I understand that you want to keep your heat for the killcombo and movement options, but this way you have to create way to many openings vs. your opponent which isn't easy. Meterless you can always end in H1 with 3~4.5k Damage done depending on starter and heat level.

Try to remember that Miquelet Capture has projectile invul vs. zoners. I also saw you doing the Cutting Shear follow up. If you decide to that, especially midscreen, always try to go for Afterburner. Only some characters can punish you for it, even then they have to react to this first. Depending on your opponent you can even do the charged one. You need to keep up your heat as long as possible.

Piggybacking a bit on what Mikros said, the most obvious problem I saw were the choice of combos and choices regarding meter consumption. If you have H2 and have a good starter (pretty much anything but a jab), you almost always want to expend your load for damage, either M.Capture~Engage at midscreen, or 5D~D in the corner, typically. Also you only want to end combos in supers if it will end the round, otherwise you are forfeiting an advantageous situation for a little extra damage. Using RC combos after 5D, or just saving up pays off more. Besides that, I'd just focus on finding more optimal stuff, especially after Crush Trigger. Most Bullet combos aren't executionally hard, and you can get alot of damage off of a A+B starter.

Using OD at the start of the match can be helpful in a pinch against some characters, but against Rachel I don't feel it's necessary. She has a hard time stopping you from using Afterburner if you back up, and if she is rushing you down, your normals have a tendency to beat her's clean.

Try to use jabs more. 2A is extremely good for pressure and is one of your fastest moves, so even if it doesn't lead to as much damage, it's your best way to get a hit. it cancels into all A and B normals and 5C, notably 6A and 2B, can be jump canceled on block, and is +1 which is favorable for trying microdash tick throws or just going for frame traps.

Also I'd refrain using j.D crossup oki unless you can RC it for a full combo. If you have the meter, it's an incredible starter, but without meter there is hardly any point in trying it, even if it connects. In H1, you get the extra heat level which is nice, but the damage is miniscule so you are usually better off going for something different.

Finally, try not to blow your air options so soon after a jump. IAD's and double jumps are nice in certain situations, but if you've used them all you'll be free to an anti air as you land. If you are trying to close distance, I suggest practicing 66~9 for a forward jump that carries the momentum of your dash. that way you have access to all of your air options if you need them, and you can bait out and whiff punish anti-airs by double jumping in front of them.

@SoWL I check your playlist later, that'll take a bit longer to digest.

@SoWL I check your playlist later, that'll take a bit longer to digest.

Thanks for putting your time and effort into the comments, I've actually learned quite a bit from the ones that weren't even addressed to me.

Oh, and I've updated the playlist with some Kagura matches. I feel like I'm getting better, even if it's a day 1 Kagura and I still abuse 720A and j.D more than I should.

Hey guys!

Just wondering what are Bullets options after knocking down the opponent for her oki game? I'm starting to feel somewhat comfortable with her combos and her standing game, but I have no idea how to keep the pressure on after I've knocked someone down.

she has an overhead, cross up J.d, j.d cancel (hold 4 while charging), flint shooter, charged flint shooter, 2a, 2b, and maybe more but those are the common tools you'll use for her oki.

Some stuff from yesterday's offline casuals:

http://www.twitch.tv/fightingopera/b/479913315

http://www.twitch.tv/fightingopera/b/479918431

I have way too much footage for my own good, better stop for a while until I show some obvious progress :psyduck:

I am bad at these things, but I'll give it a shot.

-Lots of bad Afterburners at full screen early on in the set, lots of better useage much later in the set.

-Lack of safe jumps after 5D/j.D, while not needed for a lot of the matches it could have been used at a lot of points.

-Too much chicken blocking on your end.

-Saw you noticed that Bullet can't FD brake her dash, so you do need to keep that in mind especially at H2.

-Distinct lack of 6B, could have started using this a lot earlier in the set.

-Lots of reckless IADs imo, a lot of match ups like this need to be played a lot more patiently.

-Don't know why you tried to force air to air a lot, but if you do need to j.A / j.B are the better go to normals.

-Hit confirms, lots a lot of damage / oki when you didn't confirm things like the fatal 5C and so forth.

That's what I noticed really.