Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DerQ

[CP] Amane vs. Bang

Post your thoughts about the bang matchup here. Be as constructive as possible when discussing matchups.

Bang boards' thread

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?17934-CP-Bang-vs-Amane

Pros

-

Cons

His drive+teleports will bully a lot of your "standard" pressure strings and frame traps.

Drill game

Since he can guard point through a lot of setups, resetting is a risk unless you have 50 meter to rapid on reaction to his guard points

General strategy

-

That new grab super he has..I got caught by it so many times, and I still don't know how it works. It got me both in the air and on the ground as if its tracking me. Just curious if anyone knows how it works at all.

Edit: So I went into training mode to see how this super works. Bang can't use it unless he has all four seals. When used it tracks the opponent and Bang grabs them from behind, either on the ground or in the air. If he uses it while you're in the air it'll track the air, if you're on the ground it tracks you there, but you could jump or fabhop out if you're grounded. Don't see anything to get out of the aerial version so far though.

If you're in the air when he does that super then you are extremely dead, Amane definitely has no way to escape it.

Only way I found to escape it in the air is if you're in the middle of j2b during the superflash since it hits behind you, pretty much have to be reading his mind or be lucky as all hell.

Tried gosei to avoid it? maybe faphopping? j.2C? j.D?

I know fabhopping doesn't work. And you'll just get throw counter if you try anything on reaction. You have to predict it or get really lucky as Verard said.

This may be a bit nuts/risky, but I think fighting with your back close to the corner is the best way to go about neutral. 

1. Bang cannot move above or below Amane with his multiple air dashes. You have your back to the wall
  2. His nails can reliably hit Amane in less situations. Even the D nail bouncing off the ground will go offscreen and you'll find yourself dealing with one of them rather than 3
  3. Lacking an invuln anti-air or one as reliable as other characters, you can cover the space below and above yours much more easily. You have far less angles which you would need to cover using different moves. If you need less moves, it's less guessing. Sucks to guess when some of Bang's answers imply 3C fatal
  4. At need, having Bang nearby allows you to hop over him and stay out of the corner

All the risks of being in the corner apply, but it makes it a lot easier to play a gameplan of jumping and falling with j.B, j.D, j.2B or even Gosei. If you try it midscreen, Bang's air movement allows to answer with nails. If you're in the corner back to the wall, it's a lot easier to predict whether Bang is in a position to throw nails or be under you.

Do note, I've had very little experience with this idea as of the time of posting. But it seems to make more sense than dealing with neutral at midscreen

it is similar to how rachel can deal with certain chars better (including bang) while her back is to the corner. for her, it takes the guess work out of using the pumpkin, since instead of guessing which way the foe moves of 8 directions, she only has to guess between 5, with serious consideration on 2d, 6d and 9d. same with lobelias, foe cant jump over them or get behind her in any way, so they must deal with the poles head on.

if it works, which it should, do it, but I'd mix it up a little. advantageous or not, it is still the corner, and amane doesn't have a cat chair or a good dp outside of 100 heat. which means number 4 on that list is necessary. it is a decent strategy whose benefits could outweigh the risk... until the foe catches on, or you make a mistake.

A few matches online quickly replace "The corner" by "Protect the area behind you". If you play as if you're preventing Bang from 1. Getting close and 2. Going behind you, it's fairly easy to make decisions where you maintain a low commitment. The rewards are not too high, they may be, but at least you shouldn't find yourself only landing one attack at the the time until Bang's lifebar is gone. If not, getting him to block a bit is pretty good

Finally decided to see what could be done about Bang using drive defensively during blockstrings since I play 2 bangs frequently and got to play Dora at NEC throughout the weekend. That things cuts so much momentum. Dora would IB any string and go through me

Anyway, it's not too hard to make it a lot harder on Bang. 5A will connect on Bang during blockstrings. It is gapless and even if you stagger it and bang Teleports, the 2 hits help counter Bang on a teleport or let you react. If it is respected, it's +3 so you can repeat 2A > 5A a lot to make sure the Bang player wants to sit still a bit. If he teleports on any of those, you can recover or jump cancel if you don't want to commit.

If you want to commit for a bit more rewards or add more to the mix, 6A is an awesome tool. Not only is it jump cancellable, it's a frame trap easily hitconfirmable if Bang wants to use anything else than 6D (Some bangs like having seals with that 5D counter hit). If he does want to use 6D, you have time to jump cancel and slightly delay rising j.D and his attack should whiff entirely. j.D might connect. If you stagger your A normals for bang to use 6D on them, 6A should counter hit him. If he teleports, the input remains the same direction as if he wouldn't. If you still hit the GP after that, you can still jump out. 

If you want different rewards at more risk, you can always use 5B or 3C instead of 6A and attempt to hop out if it fails. I just think past pressing that button, your pressure opens up a lot of possibilities for Bang. Again, this is just to make him second guess defensive drives, not open him up. This isn't failproof too, it just seems to reduce your think load to pressure bang

ON ANOTHER NOTE

Dora said this was a favorable matchup for Amane because bang has little anti-air options. I agree even though it's not what's happening during neutral. Bang wants to be above Amane on the screen and vice versa. Being above Amane gives nail opportunities which is a safe approach for bang and prevents him from dealing with an Amane jump in. You can flip that scenario for what Amane wants as well. Whenever I was a top of the screen, Dora wouldn't throw nail and it would just look like we were feeling each other out.

The one thing that sucks is that Bang's air mobility makes it hard to be above him