Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DerQ

[CP] Amane vs. Izayoi

Any insights into this matchup? I got wrecked playing against a friend (something to the tune of 1-20, 2-20) the past couple weekends via decent connection netplay. A few things noted:

• Something that really bugged me in particular: teleports during pressure / mixup. I frequently get bopped when he continues pressure after teleport. On paper, this sounds like something that should be blown up for free with the 11-20f vulnerable recovery + the startup of the next attack - usually 2a (8f), 5b (10f), and 236c (14f) for his case. Is there a particular option that I should be using most of the time against this, particularly if he's mixing up distances and sides?
  • 5a, 6a, and 5b are awesome antiairs against her GA mode. She might have more offensive presence, but it also opens her up for bigger damage off our antiair confirms.
  • Phorizer is a serious problem - it's relatively safe on block, and not only can she get out of drill resets with it, she can also punish Zettou use up through superjump height and blockstrings off of 5c/2c. Can it be j.2b safejumped off Gekiren or Raibu wallstick oki in the corner? If you do bait it, you can answer with OD activation or Seijyuu if you have resources.
  • Gekiren > 5b doesn't seem to connect on her, so Gekiren > 2b > 5b needs to be used instead for corner drill setups.
  • The C series feel pretty risky to use in this matchup. In addition to the usual things to be careful of when using them in other matchups, her teleports can also make Cs whiff like nobody's business. About the only time teleport isn't an option is when she is in the air during Normal mode.
  • Ground-level Zettou use is also pretty heavily discouraged. In addition to Phorizer, 623b stuffs it pretty well, particularly when coupled with forward teleport.

Something that really bugged me in particular: teleports during pressure / mixup. I frequently get bopped when he continues pressure after teleport. On paper, this sounds like something that should be blown up for free with the 11-20f vulnerable recovery + the startup of the next attack - usually 2a (8f), 5b (10f), and 236c (14f) for his case. Is there a particular option that I should be using most of the time against this, particularly if he's mixing up distances and sides?

Pick up the teleport tendencies, 2B works close range. I don't know if 3C can stuff 236C. Same startup, but Izayoi has teleport recovery. If the teleport is behind you, option select a grab with barrier (4A + B + C). Started using that against my local izayoi player attempting corner crossups. That or just upback/fuzzy jump/backdash/gtfo

The C series feel pretty risky to use in this matchup. In addition to the usual things to be careful of when using them in other matchups, her teleports can also make Cs whiff like nobody's business. About the only time teleport isn't an option is when she is in the air during Normal mode.

j.2B is your friend not only for this scenario but in general in the matchup. A projectile > teleport behind gets stuffed by it. Should give you some knockdown to work with or combos that would be easy to confirm with meter/Overdrive. If you're way above her, j.2B can clash with her 623B. If the Izayoi player likes to throw a lot of projectile until they get orbs/charges, you can just jump above them and get back on the floor with j.2B (Or Hariken through them, it only gives her one orb/charge iirc)

But yeah, everything you've said seems about right I've felt similar gripes with the matchup. She has those specials that can make pressuring her annoying. Her neutral tools can be denied and should be just to strip tools from those who over-rely on it. Make them understand throwing projectiles has a low chance of getting anywhere, deny some teleports, know when to mash into her teleport pressure, barrier her out on safe pressure (Blockstrings into projectiles) and go back to neutral ASAP. She doesn't always have options to avoid drill setups and 623B becomes a lot less of a bother when you have drill.

This match-up is definitely not even. 623B is an incredibly effective anti-air against Amane since it covers so much space while 623C ensures that he can't j2B from above her either. Her supers are godlike on defense. Justice Phorizer has start-up as fast as Jayoku Houtenjin while hitting almost fullscreen. If she has OD then you have to play REALLY respectfully on offense or else she'll pause the game, super into teleport and erase all of your life. 

At round start, your options are basically either to block or to jump barrier guard. You can't challenge 236C from the ground and if you jump into the air to do literally anything other than block then 623B will beat that too. They are both quite negative on block though so your best choice is to see what she does and assert pressure or punish, if possible. Don't autoguard her normal mode projectile, it counts as blocking so she still gains meter from it. Simply zettou over it instead to try and force her to block some pressure. 623C is a pretty slow DP so make sure to always hold back in case you safe jump it and can block. 

Unless you're absolutely steamrolling her, it's basically inevitable for her to get [close to] full gauge for Gain Art. Her mobility in this mode is ridiculous. Anti-air with 6A is next to impossible since she has so many options to bait it, so try to challenge her with jump jA instead. Play elusively to avoid getting pinned down and eating her mix-ups while respecting 623B so she can't get a free counterhit knockdown. Izayoi is NOT a true setplay character though so don't just emergency tech into all of her disgusting setups or you will die.

If you get a chance to initiate offense, frame traps are very strong against her. Her only anti-airs are special inputs so she can't spam them, she has to guess where the gap in your pressure will be and it's much harder to do so if you change your pressure often. Amane's corner pressure is extremely strong if she does not have meter so try to optimize confirms for corner carry. Do not ever go for Hariken oki if she can super. 

And, that's about it. I definitely think this match-up is bad in Extend, probably 6-4. It's possible to win but you have to play very on point and understand how Izayoi works.