Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hideki

Jam vs Testament

Let's get started:

Jam vs Testament (4.5 - 5.5)

Opening:

Testament's 6+K in the begginig eats pretty much everything. Your only choices are either block/IABD or hachifu. If you get the parry, you can 2+D you a free card at the beginning of the round.

But 6+K can be followed by a 6+HS, after the parry, you can do a instant 236+S>P (not worthy) or another parry, and still get the free card.

If you guess wrong and he does a 2+D, you're fucked up, eating a fat BL loop.

The best thing to do is just block, or backdash tough, Tetsu has better options here.

Okizeme:

Punishes:

You can counter the 236236+HS super pretty easily. The 2nd hit can be parried into pufball madness, or block the 1st hit, and backdash the 2nd one punishing it with a Ryujin charge.

Badlands is similar, if you block the 1st hit, slashback the 2nd hit for a free c.S CH, and more fat damage.

Counters:

Anti Airing:

Their Strategy:

Turtle, set shit up all over the place, and wait for Jam to do some silly mistake to start the BL loop > knockdown > okizeme (6+P/2+K) thing.

He can punish PB on reaction with the counter, so watch out.

Your Strategy:

Get close, pressure him, pull out those 2 beefy combos and send him straight to hell.

Tetsu has no good wake ups besides the poison super, and you can parry it on reaction if you're seing it coming. Just get a knockdown and rush him down.

The problem is getting close with all the nets and trees, and him pulling his best pokes (2+S, S, j.S), but once you're there, the win's yours.

IMO, this matchup's all about spacing, whoever gets in the right position first (Jam = Close / Testament = Keep Jam far away) wins.

Combos:

Tastament's hitbox is huge, just aim for max damage on your jamming with [2+HS, 6+HS>HS] x3

Just something quick to begin with.

A Testametn player has moved to my area, so it'll be nice to discusse some strategies against him.

Any comments/suggestions?

Jam is fast enough to run right over trees and jD/jP are good options to get rid of webs. Keep track of where he's throwing stuff out... eating a tree into a web is no fun.

FB puffball if you see an opening. If you hit him, his trees go away. He's open when ever he summons his beast. Watch him closely for him setting up his traps. His tree trap is very subtle, so watch for it. There is this one attack where he goes low and follows up with a low scythe, you can 6HS that before his first hit and go into ground combo. 6P cancel into stuff.

This is my worst matchup so far. I'd rather Slayer or Faust over this guy.

His normals are hell. 2S/2H/f.5S/5D/j.D are amazing, exe beast and the occasional random BL keeps me scared. Maybe it's me being bad, but parrying or slashbacking normals as well as exe beasts never did me any good. Blockstrings are too damn tight, as well as the spacing generally being in Testaments favour when he's throwing out everything he's got at me while his own hitbox is just chilling in the back somewhere my short arms can't reach anyway. 2K, 6P, 5D etc, basically his blockstring favourites, even low profile under my shoryu so I don't ever see him giving a damn when running me over with his mixup options. The whole card threat is gone.

He's also even, if not better, with Jam on terms of damage. Every random front exe trade ends up hurting like hell and dear god this guy deals damage off throws. I feel like every button I'm pressing is just not worth taking the risk. 2H, front exe, poison super, poison counter and an apparently amazing backdash make this dude also irritatingly difficult to pressure.

Basically, he has massive advantage in neutral, and if he gets to go in on Jam he has way better offensive options than we do the other way around. On the other hand, he also has way better and more defensive options. To me, this looks ass overall. My question: why is this matchup considered pretty much even?

Testament's got no reversal to get out of pressure other than his counterattack and super, both of which are pretty easy to see coming and easy to punish. His meaty web oki is a lot harder to do with the threat of parry as well.

You really just don't even want to give him a chance to breathe, and punish him for any whiffed normals. I mean, it's definitely not a fun match...basically you have to play around every thing he does. Here's a vid of Ka2 v. Shonen, you've probably seen it but it's very good and shows a lot of the matchup: