Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TD

[CP] Relius Clover vs Taokaka

Discuss the Taokaka matchup here.

The Neutral Game

Long Range: Your Tools vs Her Tools

Medium Range: Your Tools vs Her Tools

Close Quarters: Your Tools vs Her Tools

In The Air: Your Tools vs Her Tools

Offense

Your Offense:

Her Offense:

Defense

Your Defense:

Her Defense:

Gimmicks and Resets

Match Summary

In this matchup, it seems to be all about who can get started with pressure first, though yours is on a timer, and Tao's isn't. I find to have the most success in the MU when I create an opening in neutral, usually with j.Ds, 2D, val tus, or 4D as AA. If she starts blocking, you can mix her up just like everyone else and do good dmg. If she guesses right and u run out of ignis meter, RUN. He cannot challenge almost any of her normals alone, and she does more damage that you do (DUMB). If she tries to cat jump~jBB,j.C or whatever mid blockstring, you can get a 2C fatal if she commits. This is a huge risk though, as cat jump is jump cancelable, but it's good to know the option is there to keep her honest. Good luck otherwise, b/c she can fuzzy guard you from j.2b, and if she starts doing that...well....I hope those Ryo vids gave you some good ideas, b/c I got nothing.

Yeah man I feel like this is a horrible matchup for Relius. We lose air to air and anti airing is too risky. When you are put on the defense I feel like Relius has no options at all but block and die lol.

Even watching RYO, you notice how patiently he plays this match. While air to air is difficult, it seems like most of the high ranking Relius players like to stay full screen and fish for any kind of hit with j.D moves. Yeah, ignis can get de-summoned quite easily from this, but at least you are making her play a risk/reward game to hit you. I honestly havnt found a good Tao in a long time, so I cant make a lot of judgement calls about this. One thing that's nice is her 6B isn't + on block anymore, but we still don't have many good moves to mash against her. She's S tier for a reason after all xD. Though, I wouldn't say this is one sided in her favor, since she has fewer defenses than us, we catch her and we can really screw her up with her low HP.

So after watching our Relius god RYO, I tried to follow what he did through the match vs a lower ranking Tao (which he ultimately lost to sadly). He plays against her sorta like red light green light. Every second she's in the air, ryo stopped instantly and just waited to see if she'd make a move. Every time she was on the ground Ryo dashed towards her with 5B's tryin to land a hit to start pressure. One thing I personally noticed, Tao's like to burst the second they get as much as grazed, so react/bait cautiously.

Bdjdknrjdkdj every second of this MU feels like I'm being trolled by having bold letters shoved in my face saying "You can't do anything". Is there some trick to dealing with these movement based characters? I tried RYO's red light green light, I tried just trying to rush them, but I just can't catch her regardless of the method used. If you wait, she throws bowling balls, if you rush, she can just jump away from you. Maybe I just don't know what our round start options are, they all seem bad.

If I have room at neutral I try to send Ignis high into the air and use Tus to bog her down. She will then do one of two things, hit Ignis or stay on the ground. If she hits Ignis you know where she will be for a second and you can make that second count, and if she stays on the ground you can out range her with 5B/2B and put her in pressure.

4D is actually a godsend in this matchup as Tao likes to spend a lot of time being directly above you switching sides, but you get ONE CHANCE with it before she taps you and you're in pressure/combos/oki forever. On the defensive I sometimes forgo the futile attempt trying to catch Tao with our 2C, and instead use gaps in her pressure to summon Ignis again to try my hand at another 4D or perhaps a 236A+D.

She can crawl 214B so use it with skepticism.

In this match-up neither party can afford to screw up or let the other in, whoever gets that first hit (blocked or not) is hugely advantaged. (Coincidentally our j.A and airgrab are invaluable here.) If we land one hit on her and confirm into knockdown we can kill pretty fast, she has really crappy defense and we have amazing pressure, so just hold on tight and don't let go. Really this match-up should be called "fishing for cats."

At round start you want to lock her down before she gets full access to all her neutral/movement madness. This is the only time I'd ever suggest starting with IAD j.A/IAD Airgrab. Once they get wise to that IAD Ignis summon is just as good. j.XD can keep her still for a moment and if you can confirm into j.236C~j.214B>airdash then that's even better

j.236C>rapid>follow-up can be used if you're really hard pressed for lockdown. That move has an amazing hitbox considering the opponent at hand. Just don't miss or you'll cry yourself to sleep.