Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pochp

[CP] Mu vs Azrael

Discuss the matchup here. This post will get updated with relevant information eventually.

Based on what I heard, this guy is like Tager. Don't let him touch you. Am I close?

I think he should be more fought like ragna, but should be treated as tager when he is close

I've only fought a couple decent Azreal so far, but here's what I've learned:

-For Growler (his DP), it will only continue to be invincible if it absorbs a projectile. But if you hard bait it (i.e. forgoe projectile oki), it has enough recovery to where you can almost do whatever you want to punish it. Just don't try to use 6C as it is a projectile.

-If he absorbs a projectile with Growler, respect the Phalanx Cannon. It'll cruise through Habaya and any stein lasers or bombs.

-From midrange, watch out for his Gustaf (236A). It's +1 but he often can't really combo after it on hit unless it counter hits you. Nevertheless it is a fast/good option for him to catch you whiffing a move to get in.

-Take advantage of your mobility as Azreal has limited options to close distance safely.

-When he gets in, be respectful of his pressure as a lot of his buttons have good frame advantage. Watch out for cross ups/throw mixup with his teleport dash, and his 5D/6D overheads and 2D/3D lows. His dash can even cross you up in the corner. Save your burst for weak point dunk combos or his Valiant Charger/Hokuto no Ken loops.

I've only fought a couple decent Azreal so far, but here's what I've learned:

-For Growler (his DP), it will only continue to be invincible if it absorbs a projectile. But if you hard bait it (i.e. forgoe projectile oki), it has enough recovery to where you can almost do whatever you want to punish it. Just don't try to use 6C as it is a projectile.

-If he absorbs a projectile with Growler, respect the Phalanx Cannon. It'll cruise through Habaya and any stein lasers or bombs.

-From midrange, watch out for his Gustaf (236A). It's +1 but he often can't really combo after it on hit unless it counter hits you. Nevertheless it is a fast/good option for him to catch you whiffing a move to get in.

-Take advantage of your mobility as Azreal has limited options to close distance safely.

-When he gets in, be respectful of his pressure as a lot of his buttons have good frame advantage. Watch out for cross ups/throw mixup with his teleport dash, and his 5D/6D overheads and 2D/3D lows. His dash can even cross you up in the corner. Save your burst for weak point dunk combos or his Valiant Charger/Hokuto no Ken loops.

I have no big problems against Growler absorbing lasers if he gets phalanx

Treat phalanx as the old spark bolt and use your steins at proper height

Excuseme guys but im having some troubles with this matchup because i can´t find how to beat azrael 6A,origins just clash with it and i can´t find anything to beat all his anti-air moves, not even j.2C beats or clash with them, any recomendations?
It´s quite difficult to even start a match, his backdash and forward dash evades 5C at the start.

What situation is he using 6A in? If he meaties you with it, it should always clash with your DP if they time it right, so you should respect it on oki. (Well, if you're feeling particularly defiant, you can attempt to clash into DP again, but I wouldn't always recommend that lol). That said, if they're using it on oki, they are giving up a harder-to-see meaty mixup to bait your DP so you have less to watch out for, so just stay calm and wait for an opening.

His 2C is really good and you have to be aware of it; it has a deceptive hitbox.  I personally like to bait it with falling barrier and try to punish the recovery since they're usually looking for the CH to confirm.

Round start 5C is still a good option; I'm not sure if there's anything solid Azreal can do to challenge it. If he backdashes at round start that's a good thing because you're still controlling space. Just watch what he does afterwards and react accordingly. If they are really feeling themselves and forward dash at you at round start, mix it up with 2B, SoD, or just don't commit to anything and backdash/IAD back.

He´s doing 6A in oki and i instantly use DP to clash and try to punish it in the 2nd with my 6A or 3C but i really don´t know if he is totally inmune while he doing 6A, my 2 atacks apparently just go through him, sometimes i just wake up jump when that happens but it doesn´t work either.

About the back dash at the start it´s most of the times backdash followed by gustaf buster or backdash forward dash-empty jump-grab/cross up B(i think it´s B at least), and one more thing,i don´t know if his divekick can be punished by 2C or 6A, maybe it´s my bad timing with that kick but i don´t know that much about Azrael. 

Azrael player here,

If Azrael is actually using 6A as a meaty on your wakeup, then it will LOSE to your DP. If it is clashing, then that means the Azrael player is delaying the 6A, with the intent of calling out a possible DP. If this is the case, then you have time to mash 2A/throw. Azrael's 6A is only chest invul iirc.

6A is used (at least how I use it) as either a meaty (to beat rolls/mashing), or is delayed and used to invul through reversals. It's a nice option, but honestly he would be better off just hard-baiting Mu's DP by blocking or backdashing. edit: remember that Azrael's 6A can be used as a meaty or a reversal hard-bait, NOT BOTH.

Well he use the backdash to bait my dp but most of the times knowing i can´t dp forever, now i know after the clash i can press 2A and beat 6A, got it.
Thanks for the info Rath.
I don´t want to bother but i´ll be asking for recomendations about this matchup.

Oh so 6A has to be non-meaty to clash with DP? I guess that shows how little I know about Azreal lol.

Backdash > gustaf is an option for him, but if you have a good read, you can always run up and 5C CH them, and hopefully discourage them from doing it predictably.

As far as his j2C, it is possible to anti-air, but they can change up their timing to bait it like any divekick. I'd rather not take the risk and just run forward to go underneath them if I notice them hanging out in the air above me. That way you avoid giving him the advantage, and can at least punish the recovery or reestablish neutral.

Ok, got that one as a mental note.
Use 5C to CH gustaf, i don´t know who would win advantage on trade but i must try it.

Maybe it is posible to counter hit the divekick with j5B or air-origins but it´s too risky, i´ll just take what you said and run forward and take advantage of the recovery.

Round start 5C is still a good option; I'm not sure if there's anything solid Azreal can do to challenge it. If he backdashes at round start that's a good thing because you're still controlling space.

He can iad over 5c at the round start and punish you for it and i have sometimes see Mu's 5c lose to his 5c if you are a bit slow

2B is unbelievably good in this matchup btw. It stops gustaf in it's tracks and hits the blind spot in Azrael's normals (longer than 5B but closer than 5C). You can use it to check a lot of his ground advancements and can interrupt his pressure easily if you barrier him outside of 5B range. Strongly recommend it. 

hey is someone azrael related here today, i have another question (yet again helpless me, sorry):
azrael 2C is a proyectile by any chance?
and how to evade black hawk stinger with weak points(I know you can break free if he is hitting you at the cost of 50 meter but other than that im totally helpless)
And my tutor seemed to have learned the bounce combo with O.D., i just got depressed by that, too much damage for Mu and i got reseted like an idiot and lost in 20 seconds.
P.S.: Im watching some tutorial videos to do more damage but this matchups seems harder than vs Tager.

hey is someone azrael related here today, i have another question (yet again helpless me, sorry):

azrael 2C is a proyectile by any chance?

and how to evade black hawk stinger with weak points(I know you can break free if he is hitting you at the cost of 50 meter but other than that im totally helpless)

And my tutor seemed to have learned the bounce combo with O.D., i just got depressed by that, too much damage for Mu and i got reseted like an idiot and lost in 20 seconds.

P.S.: Im watching some tutorial videos to do more damage but this matchups seems harder than vs Tager.

His 2c is a projectile, not sure how that will help in our matchup

If we are talking about 5c>BHS, I think you can stop BHS with a dp that you can input during the superflash or use your burst

-reads a lot of random threads for no reason-

Az 5C has 18f blockstun and BHS has 11f total startup. If done correctly, there's no gap to dp. Sorry if its not my place to post here

if you have the meter for it you can counter assault the block stun from 5c in order not to get hit by BHS

EDIT: sorry didn't see you said you already knew that, my bad.

if the azrael just does it raw then jump barrier.

-reads a lot of random threads for no reason-

Az 5C has 18f blockstun and BHS has 11f total startup. If done correctly, there's no gap to dp. Sorry if its not my place to post here

On IB it's 3 frames less and depending on the distance that BHS still has to travel after 5c's pushback, Mu can sometimes manage to dp out of it

i wanted to know about 2C because my dp was just useless against it and using j.5b to bait it just puts me in a harder situation.
I´ve practiced to dp his b.b in the 1st b and it works perfectly but i have issues with azrael keeping me in the corner with 2C.
Today´s score was 30/10 and i´ve checked on videos too and it seems it´s an incredible hard matchup, even in keeping the distance is somewhat troublesome at times and i end up in the corner by myself.

The problem of his 2c is not directly that it's a projectile but rather it does not have a large hurtbox , while Mu's dp is lacking range

Just block his 2c, hiis overhead and low drive afterwards are not safe to mashing or can be jumped over. Don't try to backdash because those 2 slow drives will catch the backdash. He can try to use 3c, but it's -9 on block and can be just as easily jumped over

Everyone can.

STEINS.

The only thing people need to practise is getting the timing on Growler's recovery after it absorbs something, and just putting down a meaty.