Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakaku

[CP] Rachel vs. Tager

Discuss the Tager matchup here.

We need to be extra carful now once he has spark bolt available. His 623D bolt will hit us out of air summons.

His air Driver has a very strong pull, be careful and don't try to jump too predictiably.

Corner will still destroy him. If george is out, 6C on wake-up will shut down all of his wake-up options as long as he doesn't have 50 heat for MTW. Rising j.A IOH is a valid tool once he respects you.

I know this is going to sound so bad considering how much it's in our favor, but I'm legit having a bunch of issues in this matchup that I never had before (maybe there were never any good Tager players on 360?).  I keep getting caught in his vortex and I just had a Tager command grab me FOUR TIMES.  Help would be much appreciated.

Well, for the most part you are guessing when it comes to Tager mix-up. 

General Gadget Finger Options:

1) wind + backdash - can be called out with Tager 5C

2) upback - can be called out with atomic collider / air driver / angled spark bolt. With 100 meter he can MTW > RC to force another guess from you..

3) block - counters Tager meaty 5A but risky since he can command grab to counter.

panic mode option - OD + get out of there

If you guess wrong, you will most likely be reset back into the same gadget finger situation. Important thing is that each time you re-evaluate your options so you can make the best decision.

Usually I just play by the numbers and play low-risk with my guesses. Make adjustments based on what you see and go from there.

You should also keep track of ways Tager can get you bustered and in general whatever reset gimmicks the Tager you're playing likes to use.

More or less now dealing with Gadget Finger oki feels like choosing between mashing 5A and backdashing. Backdashing without wind gets you out of everything except 6A and 5C. 5A gets you out of those but loses to other options. I've also been having a pretty hard time getting out of 6A setups with backdash wind, so I'm not sure if that's possible anymore. In which case so far it's been better to not use wind when you backdash since there's not much benefit and you can use that wind stock for other things. 

As for his air buster reset, I haven't run into that so I'm not 100% sure what's supposed to be Rachel's answer to that, but it's probably either j.B or j.C. I'll post when I know for sure.

Other than that, the match up seems very much the same as in previous games. In neutral you position yourself to summon until he decides to sledge. Then you decide if you can punish him for sledging (run up 2A or 6CD work pretty well, 6B if you can get him early) or do something else. If he jumps, depending on what you think he's going to do, you anti-air him or you just get out of there and run under him. When you carry him into the corner, run instant overheads on him until he dies. Pumpkin 2D j.B oki works very well on him, but you still have to be careful about wake up backdash. You can 6CD this and any wake up sledge/buster attempt. If you mess up, do your best to guess at what reset he's going to use and then try again.

MTW seems to be nerfed. 2C can beat it,  but it still clashes with astral. The most important thing to note is that Tager can no longer MTW to burst bait/punish. Also, if you're blocking it, if Tager doesn't have meter to RC and you want to do something funny, you can also IB the first part of the MTW and then astral him before the overhead hit comes out.

Oh yeah. The other thing that's a really important change, well, it was there before but it's even more important now is that if you're magnetized you want to be extremely careful about jumping. Air buster can pull you in from almost full screen. I would highly suggest staying on the ground until magnetism wears out. Also don't get shot by ground to air Spark Bolt.