Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

branh0913

j.D question.

Hello, I'm a lurker in these forums. I try my best to look up info before I ask, but I have to ask about j.D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw48onysz8Y

In this match at 3:30 Sharon does a 2k,5s, the j.D and it COMBOS! How the hell did he get the j.D so low where it can combo from a 5s? I've tried this on training mode, and I have problems landing it even on Potemkin. I was able to get it on Pot once after like 10 tries. I can't get it against Ky or Sol, whom I assume are the same height. Can anyone help, and will this j.D combo work against any other mid height people like Johnny, Sol, Ky, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Also, I often see this combo, j,p,j,p,j.k. seem anytime I do this combo, I always fall before I can get the j.k. Is there a trick there that I don't know about?

Hello, I'm a lurker in these forums. I try my best to look up info before I ask, but I have to ask about j.D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw48onysz8Y

In this match at 3:30 Sharon does a 2k,5s, the j.D and it COMBOS! How the hell did he get the j.D so low where it can combo from a 5s? I've tried this on training mode, and I have problems landing it even on Potemkin. I was able to get it on Pot once after like 10 tries. I can't get it against Ky or Sol, whom I assume are the same height. Can anyone help, and will this j.D combo work against any other mid height people like Johnny, Sol, Ky, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Also, I often see this combo, j,p,j,p,j.k. seem anytime I do this combo, I always fall before I can get the j.k. Is there a trick there that I don't know about?

It'll work on many characters, its just strict timing on the dust...which is immidiately after you leave the ground, you can't really look for the jump before you do it, u just have to know that you're jumping,

as for j.p, j.p, j.k, if they're in the air it shouldnt be an issue landing it, but if you mean how to combo it on a grounded opponent, ur gonna have to do the combo while you're airdashing so that you maintain enough velocity to stay in the air long enough for the j.k to come out

just air dash low and start punching

guide:

normals

j.D - This move was improved a lot from Slash, not only being faster but allowing Baiken the options of comboing 5S, j.P, and 2D into it.

combos

Other combos

Against tall characters, 2k c.5S (f.5S) jc/sjc j.D FRC ad tatami ->

-in corner: 2D j.S(PS)D ad j.SD

-in corner: 8(jump) j.HS j.tatami sj j.SD ad j.[p]SD (big hitboxes only)

-midscreen: iad j.SD

-midscreen: land, jump j.D frc iad tatami

Character/Combo Specific Stuff

Against the tallest characters, both c.5S and f.5S cancel into j.D. Against people who are almost tall enough, you can only connect off of f.5S from certain distances. f.5s only applies to Ky, ABA, and Robo-Ky I believe.

Sorry about that Hellmonkey. I have read that guide front and back. My question wasn't that it could be done, but how it was done. The guide never really state what is needed to get the j.d to combo from the 5s. I guess the "who ti works on question is redundant". I know that combo isn't practical, but I'm looking to have comprehensive knowledge of Baiken. I'm commited soley to her. I've been in practice mode in my spare time. I am able to get the Dust low enough on Sol. Is this jump 1-frame or something? It appears that the up and D are almost in a sweeping motion, kind of like Akira's knee in VF. Is it true that for characters like Sol, the j.D must be hit within 1 frame of the jump?

It is practical, and is often times her best option against a standing tall character. To do it is simply timing, using a joystick and double tapping can make it much easier, but there is nothing you can do to make your jump faster to allow j.D to come out sooner/lower. The only other thing you might be missing than timing is being too far away. As for exactly how many frames you have to do it, I would guess a window of 1-3 frames depending on who you're against/spacing. One thing to keep in mind is the timing on when you actually jump cancel from your 5s. It might be easier timing-wise if you do the jump cancel right before you actually do your j.D (without buffering your jump early, during the hitstop of your 5s), to make sure that the timing between your jump motion and j.D button press stays constant.

you can also miss the j.D if you're a bit too close, on some characters. For example, Ky and Robo-Ky require that you use f.S -> j.D.

I covered that in what I quoted. I don't think you can actually be too close to land 5s->j.D anyways, you will just need to use c.5s f.5s for them and ABA. (less of a distance issue than what move you're comboing from) In general, you always want to be closer.

f.5s actually makes ky, robo-ky, and chipp's hitboxes bigger than c.5s, allowing j.D to combo. Against ABA it's the opposite, you can only combo from c.5s and not f.5s. Just double-checked because I thought something was funny.

Characters you cannot ground gatling to j.D: Zappa, Jam, Millia, Bridget, Baiken only c.5s: ABA only f.5s: Robo-Ky, Chipp, Ky Easier to f.5s than c.5s: Anji, Sol, I-no 2D->j.D: May, Faust Everyone else use either c.5s or f.5s

Characters you cannot ground gatling to j.D: Zappa, Jam, Millia, Bridget, Baiken

only c.5s: ABA

only f.5s: Robo-Ky, Chipp, Ky

Easier to f.5s than c.5s: Anji, Sol, I-no

2D->j.D: May, Faust

Everyone else use either c.5s or f.5s

Thanks Hellmonkey! You're the best!

in addition, you can do it against potemkin even when he's crouching so against him you have a fuzzy mixup there (with 25% into pretty good combo even)