Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NecroTheReaper

[CPEX] Relius Netplay, Critique, and Self-Improvement Thread

Hi guys im new to learning relius and Im endeavoring being a noob and taking my losses. Im studying up on all the info here on dustloop and learning everything i can. heres some game play of me online. sorry for the bad quality, Ill post my gameplay from some weekly fights too when they get posted. if there is any input or critiques please let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=758714327472937&saved

Now granted I'm not the world's best or anythin' of the sort, I'd like to give you some advice. First things first, at the start of the round you generally want to find a way to A: get Ignis out and then B: get them hit or blocking. I noticed at the beginning of the round your opponent gave you some slack, take advantage of that and get her out. For starting pressure there is no real substitute for 5B->5D->66->5B->stuff. Air dashing in and doing stuff is a gamble, but can pay off too so don't be afraid to mix it up.

Some good stuff for you; Make use of Ignis for neutral. She is a god level projectile and deserves to be acknowledged as such. Use j.2D/j.6D/j.8D when your opponent is midscreen to terrorize them, if the opponent is far away 214C will essentially get you in for free if they block it, (just look out for counter assaults.)

Now then what you want the opponent to get hit by is 3C. 3C is the move that leads into everything, and if it's blocked it's no big whoop because you can jump cancel and have Ignis cover your decent with a 6D. once you hit the opponent if you can somehow get 3C to hit you can do one of these babies from midscreen:

(Whatever)->3C->jump forward+6D->falling j.B->2C->6C->41236B->5B->5C->superjump->j.B->j.C->j.236C->j.214B->airdash

(Whatever)->3C->IAD+6D->j.B->j.C->j.8D->land->superjump->j.C->j.8D->jump->j.C->j.8D->j.236C->j.214B

(Whatever)->3C->41236B+D->2C->6C->22A->4D->superjump->j.B->j.236C->j.214B->airdash

(Whatever)->3C->A+B~>6D->665B->2C->6C->41236B->5B->5C->superjump->j.B->j.C->j.236C->j.214B->airdash

there's also a fun loop here to help get the hang of Relius: 5B->5C->[jumpforward+6D->falling j.C->665B->5C]X3->3C->632146D

All that really remains if for you to put them in block-strings. Remember, my friend, 3C is jump cancel-able even on block so it's incredibly hard to punish. If you ever need to summon/desummon ignis, make them block 3C, jump, then summon.

I know it could have been a combo, but imo hit confirming a FC 2C is a bitch. If it doesn't FC, you can go straight into 6C for... pretty much the 2C FC path without thr first 2C lol. If I press 2C alone and it didnt FC, I just dropped the combo and might get punished. However, if 2C did FC and I confirmed into 6C anyway, it doesn't really matter, since I'm still at advantage when they tech.

If I may be so bold as to give input, I'd recommend you watch for Carl's CON situation, as many times you made no attempt to escape it even though it's carl's most dangerous set up.

Also keep in mind that like Mu-12 to stop the majority of Carl's BS you only need tap his guard.

I also noticed a couple times where you could have summoned Ignis to assist you where you opted to continue with solo Relius pressure. 3C->5D/j.D is such a great tool for getting Ignis out, even on block. If you're nervous about retaliation I'd suggest you summon Ignis on blocked max range 5B.

On another topic,  I've found 5B to be a thousand times better a confirm to ch j.B than 2C is. It's quicker making it able to confirm better and safer with way less recovery on whiff. after 5B you can use 2C which will be pretty much guaranteed to hit if done right. (This is also useful in the corner because the 5B confirm will go into 6B->TK j.236C quite fluidly.)

j.D and 5D mid pressure isn't something I like doin against Carl since if he calls you out or properly escape, you just made the round 10x worse. j.D is what every Carl (imo) looks for when using vivace, which having him running around close to his doll makes it a pain to close distance. 5D is just need to use more. 3C range imo is too close, but max range 5B i know I need more of lol. At that range, I'm feelin like I could punish ley attempts, and his only option for a combo would require an RC if Ada isnt near. Thx for the info though. Carl is definitely one of my more painful MUs only because keeping him in line is a pain.

First match I saw you in was closer to 2:30.

ANYWHO! Congrats on doing so well in your first tourney! I knew you had it in you! So how did it feel? You should totally stick with the name "Cotton" or something similar as a running gag.

Anywho this is a critique forum of sorts so I'll give some reccomendations.  Back to the corner Grab>41236B>Combo is wonderful when you don't have Ignis, it'll work on them so long as they touch the corner before they touch the ground. I see you didn't use it when you had the chance and you coulda finished them (you won that match anyway tho.)

I see you usually confirm Tus into 2B>5B pressure or 2A>6A mix-up. I suggest doing 5B as a pick-up for both. Not only can you go into 5B>2C>6C if Tus really did hit, but 5B>2B>3C>jump/5B>6A>6D is much more effective mix-up ( especially 5B>6A because they see 5B>3C all day erryday.) If Tus happens to catch them in the air 5B will air unblockable them and you cn continue into 2C.

That's all I got for now. Awesome matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_3F0UTaiUE<- me vs a Jin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3D0O4JRBM<- me vs Az(Ziggy specifically)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36AdERmF0Cs<- and finally me vs SWD's Valk

Any and all comments are super welcome, I want to know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I think what I'm most worried about is my neutral, because it feels weak and why I lose vs chars like Valk and Jin when I do. I need to work on confirms I think, so help on that would be great as well. That's what I saw right away, but if you guys can see more, that would be amazing. Thanks so much.

[...]

I'd recommend first to practice combos found in the combo thread. From the hits you did get in the matches, the majority were incomplete/invalid making you miss having a knockdown which is critical especially for Relius or use more ignis meter than needed making you miss out on damage, Ignis meter.. And practicing combos is pretty straight forward to get better at.

You need to use Ignis more in general. Many rushdown attempts were made with solo Relius or the rest of the match was solo Relius turtle-ing waiting to 2C or a lucky led ley. There are many ways to summon Ignis outside a combo: Jump back and j.D/5D in blockstring/214x etc.

From there you can do stuff like j.2D>6D/2D to get them blocking and start pressure.

Check out some videos in the video thread to see how other Relius players play.

Observations based on first Jin vid: Your Relius is nice. Excellent work thus far. Some tech advice  though.

-Use that meter. When you don't have Ignis you want to have 50% heat. any N starter>236C>Rapid>665B>2C>6C>41236B>5B>5C(2)>sj>j.B>j.C>j.236C~j.214B is roughly 4K for 50% heat, if Ignis is desummoned during the beginning she will return to full by the end. Counter assault can also be used to get a foe off of you which is invaluable. If you lost and were sitting on 100% heat, something went wrong.

Near corner 5B>3C>236C~214C>665B>2C> TKj.236C>2C>6C>41236B>5B>5C(2)>4D>6A works for a lot of damage. You want to use ~214C early as possible, (it does 1200 damage, so and as long as they reach the corner before they tech it'll combo into 665B.)

Also never use 6B in a combo again except for sideswap stuff. 2C does the same thing but for more damage and with better P2.

When confirming midscreen with Ignis a simple 2B>5B>6D>663C>6D>662C>6C>41236B>etc will work from max range, and is one of the better ways to confirm. It should only ever take one 6D into microdash to get into 3C range using this string. Technically the better confirm from max range 2B is 2B>5B>236C+2D>5B>2C, but ether will work.

Abuse 5B/665B more. It's a god poke. It locks down and confirms into 2C on any air hit. Good stuff.

Finally, listen to Wakky's advice, he's the man!

I put your suggestions into consideration and this is where I've come to.

My execution still isn't where it should be, but that'll come with more practice. I'm trying to be more liberal with Ignis as suggested, and it's certainly been paying off, I think. Any other major issues? Anything I'm doing well and should try to maintain that kind of style? Something still missing? Thanks guys, your advice helped a lot before, so if something new comes up, please let me know.

Using Ignis is fine, but combos like 6A>2D>665B>5C(2)>6C>41236B+6D>5B>2C>sj.B>j.C>j.236C~j.214B cost 4300 IG and do 2706 damage become wasteful when you can do more damage for less meter. If you can do the same thing with less cost and more profit, it makes sense to do so no?

In the spirit of that, on hit and block 6A can confirm into 6D for cheaper. It has much more hit and blockstun than people give it credit for. 6D is also 7% cheaper in terms of IG so it's 100% better to use in any situation where you have to reset pressure other than for setting up empty jumps or continuing pressure from a blocked 236C. (I am although experimenting with a way to make the confirm cheaper and more damaging using 2D instead but for now 6A>6D>665B>3C>6D>662C>6C>41236B>5B>5C(2)>sj>j.B>j.C>j.236C~j.214B is our combo meaning 6A>6D>665B is our hit/block confirm.)

Believe it or not, in every situation you used 2D in this video, 6D would have been cheaper and more effective, save for one where you had Ignis go half way across the screen and tank a hit to win the match. That's still about 95% of the move's usage. 6D is definitely something you should rotate in when you can, it's cheaper and does most of the same things 2D does.

Speaking of not-so-good usage of 2D, when getting oki from ~j.214B, 2D isn't the best, especially when used by itself. It can be used but only in concert with 22B will it do something worthwhile (which is catch rolls and force the opponent into blocking from a safe distance.) Save that for when they have a DP, you realllly need them blocking for some reason, and they don't have Haku's 2D/Yukikaze to nullify said set-up. Otherwise, generally you want to land>dash up to them>then use 5B(2C) when you see/hear them roll. this catches forward and backward roll as well as quick get up, and lets you recover with frame advantage on neutral tech. Also if the 5B doesn't hit the 2C doesn't come out, so you're relatively safe doing this. 663C>236C~214B is commonly used to stack on damage on delay tech and 2B can also be used for many of the same things 5B is used for only it doesn't allow for any further delay to their rolling. Learning how to do this well is crucial to Relius' midscreen oki game

When near the corner at all confirm into 236C as soon as possible. Know the range thhat 236C~214C will wall-bounce intimately, because as long as it does, you can combo from it. For example 662B>5B>236C~214C from the furthest distance 214C can wall-bounce still goes into 665B>2C>TKj.236C>2C>6C>41236B>5B>5C(2)>4D>6A for a delicious combo that does about 1.2K more than what you were confirming into near-corner.

During a Duo Bios blockstring I saw you use 2B>5B a bit, and as long as they're blocking Ignis you don't really have to put in any non high/low/left/right components. Ignis takes care of mash for ya. 2B>6A or j.C/empty-jump stuff/low airdash stuff is what you go for during the first 8 hits then you can go into cross-ups and using led ley to phase through them during the last 3 hits because they have gaps.

There were moments like when you did 6A>236C>rapid>662C>TKj.236C>2C>6C>41236B>5B>2C>sj.B>j.C>j.236C where not comboing right cost you a match. Always consider what you want to do in your combo  before the j.236C, and even if you didn't get as much damage as you might of hoped end solo combos that use TKj.236C>2C>6C>41236B with 3C to avoid airteching them.

Finally, meter usage. First things first /never Duo Bios until you see which way they're rolling. If you want you can even use 5B>Bios or 5C>Bios to guarantee they'll block it./ And more importantly, while Duo Bios is great, but it's not as important as some other stuff. Meter for Relius does two important things; it lets him counter assault and it lets him solo combo, and it should be hoarded for these two reasons. Midscreen it lets him do stuff like most anything>236C>Rapid>66>5B>2C>6C>41236B>5B>5C(2)>sj.b>j.C>j.236C~j.214B and in the corner you can do that same combo with an optional de-summon for Ignis immediately after the rapid. When used this way, you're spending 50% meter to turn 1.4K into 4K and a completely refilled Ignis with a great oki situation to boot, which is one heckava deal. On the other side of things, I don't have to tell you how hard Relius has it when he's on the defensive, and counter assault makes it your turn again and gives you a free pass to get the ball rolling which to a character like Rel is invaluable. Really a distortion should only be used when it will kill,  for Tedo that's at the end of a combo when they have less than 1K HP remaining, or when there's a punish situation that will also kill. For Bios that's then they have under 3K and you know you can crack their guard open using it (or if Bios can win a clash that's about to happen which it often can. :v] )

Hope this was helpful! ^_^"

Here's some footage of me playing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NHrsXZ1bQ

There are time stamps in the description for my matches but times are 26:03, 1:11:26, 1:31:31, 1:51:29, and 1:57:17. (These are all links to those times as well)

There is a video of casuals after (here) of two matches.

Watching the videos myself I noticed a lot of my execution errors so sometimes if something looks a tad funky it might be that or just me being bad hahaha I also noticed there were a few times where I could finish the round and didn't for some reason so I'll try to work on that.

Any and all constructive criticism is appreciated <3