Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moy_X7

[CP] Platinum vs Kokonoe

Match Start

Neutral

Full Screen
Long-Mid Range
Point Blank

Offense and Defense

Your Offense vs Her Defense
Her Offense vs Your Defense

Gimmicks and Miscellaneous Info

Gimmicks
Misc. Info

Frame Advantage, Disadvantage, and Punishes

Frame Advantage
Frame Disadvantage
Punishes

Summary

kokonoe can trigger present/treasure by teleporting past them. by teleporting past them. teleporting.

:psyduck:

Been playing quite a few matches against a friend and while my friend is still somewhat learning to play her, the match-up doesn't seem that bad. Sure she is pretty broken by having pretty much everything (damage, speed, neutrals, anti-air and mix-ups etc.), but due to her having fairly poor reversals she is highly vulnerable to Platinums OKI and mix-up game. Cat hammer and bat seem to be the best items in this match-up, but bombs, missiles and frying pan have their uses as well. Upgraded Hammer is pretty good as well, as it can help you get in and clear the field from pretty much everything else than her distortion fireball.

She barely has any defensive tools against platinum outside of her Distortion fireball which looses to hammer for some reason (j.d from fairly low height). Bubble OKI seems to work really well against her, as her micro teleport will only make the bubble bounce off the corner and catch her when she appears. Aside from that the micro-teleport can be punished with 5A stagger.

She has plenty of fairly slow moves that summon stuff to the field like fireballs, lightning "mines", gravitons etc. so be sure to punish those if she's within range.

Depending on the opponent they can be fairly easy to read and thus punished with the good old hearth car (just be sure to have enough meter for emergency rapid, as Kokonoe deals fairly sick damage from pretty much everywhere).

When she has gravitons out, she can teleport behind you but due to Platinums fast 5A that's not really something she wants to do without good setups.

Platinum is actually fast enough to run trough the lightning mines, which is sometimes useful for cleaning the field, but be careful as her gravitons and teleporting can screw this up.

When using Dream sally be sure to do so outside from Kokonoes 3C range, got punished by it quite a few times when using Dream sally after block-string (bad habit)

Much of her game is about confusing the flow and movement of the opponent with gravitons. But they are a bit double edged and can actually Pull/Push you out from the harms way and screw up her combos and make her unable to punish some of your moves. It might be better to play defensive in these situations or do something really crazy and unpredictable. Funniest stuff I have seen with this has been super 6B! (something on the lines of 3x range double the speed) and super fast Mami circular which hits like a truck.

When preparing to block the incoming fireball setup, it's handy to have few treasure chests or presents under you and slightly in-front of you and behind you for added defense as it's pretty tough to see what Kokonoe is doing especially behind the bigger fireball. If she teleports behind you during this, you might be able to punish it with 5A which also removes the smaller fireball from the field. Bat is also nice. With correct timing you can even jump + i.a over the fireball to stir her game up a bit.

I've been having problems with her 2b as well.

My friend recently picked up Kokonoe and air down C has been doing okay vs. the 2a/2b nonsense.

The worst thing I've experienced so far is at the start of the match.

Just puts gravatron on me and fireballs and I just have to hold that at the start of the round.

Anyone else having a problem trying to anti-air that stupid air hammer?

I've been having problems with her 2b as well.

My friend recently picked up Kokonoe and air down C has been doing okay vs. the 2a/2b nonsense.

The worst thing I've experienced so far is at the start of the match.

Just puts gravatron on me and fireballs and I just have to hold that at the start of the round.

Anyone else having a problem trying to anti-air that stupid air hammer?

Not really, Platinums running speed is more than enough to break out from graviton and the fireball move can be punished with dash 5B/2B.

At the start of the match, Kokonoe is far too close to do any good setups against Platinum player that uses her/his cards right.

If she somehow manages to trap you with graviton, and has herself covered with lightning mine then there are few options against the fireball.

You can jump over the fireball towards kokonoe by timing your jump when the fireball is low enough. Due to the lightning mine you might still have to block her pressure but it's a lot easier without giant fireball blocking your vision.

Have a bat equipped and smash D while blocking to send her flying.

Drop Gifts Under you, as her hits will push you back but not the gift which will end her pressure.

As for her Air hammer, it's not really something you should anti-air it's far better to just air-to-air her with j.c if she tries to abuse that awfully slow move too close to you.

Only good way to "anti-air" it is probably lucky C-bubble or by 214D unequip. But generally it's used after her instant overhead which means it's far easier to just block it.

Sometimes just smashing j.a can be better option, it's a bit faster and has barely any recovery allowing you to do multiple hits on air (more likely to hit).

Jumping and hitting her with the bat might also reward you with nice counter hit combo if you can act fast enough.

That being said, Kokonoe is considered broken by many, he has all the tools and deals loads of damage and has very few weak points, so don't get discouraged if you lose.

If your friend starts to abuse the completely broken blackhole then I recommend banning the move or finding a better friend to play against. (or use Unlimited Platinum and fight broken character with broken character)

There are few characters in the game that can do literally very little against it and unfortunately Platinum is one of them.

[Edit] Actually Platinum does have a way to "counter" Black-hole reset, but it's more of a pre-emptive strategy than a trick...

Just use most of your meter to get treasure chests and litter the field with them. With clever positioning, these will not only limit her options but cut her combos short as well (including ones that would lead to blackhole reset)

Without blackhole the matchup is pretty fun actually, sure she has the edge due to ridiculous damage but Platinum has fair amount of tools against her as well.