Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XDest

[CP] Taokaka vs Valkenhayn

Tao MU forum is hella vacant =/

How on earth does Tao fight Valk? I either run the train or i'm having the train run on me, there doesn't seem to be an in between. At this point I'm just trying to scout the 'momentum loss' burst, but that's really suspect.

Other questions:

- What is wolf meter? Does it have a function besides being a pointless graphic?

- How do you block that which cannot be blocked?

- Do the developers know wolf 5b is still in the game?

-???

-Seriously this character is retarded...

Honestly, any neat little nuances that veterans know about this match-up would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure they just fish him out hitting buttons and stuff... otherwise it's really just a toss up.

Though from what I've seen, Valk has absolutely no defensive options barring CA and Burst. So when you DO get that pressure, you'd best be keeping it. Aside from that though, well, lol...

Valk vs Tao is most likely a 5-5. I live in STL, and I play AKA's (a GG og) valk pretty frequently, so I'll share what I know.

First off, both characters almost entirely control the match if they can get the opponent to block something. Valk definitely has better mixups then tao, but Tao's pressure is more safe in a lot of ways, and leaves less options (assuming you're varying your strings properly). Neither characters have too many defensive options outside of a 50 meter DD reversal, Burst, counter assault, and normal stuff like backdash or 2A/5A mash. Tao has the additional tool of crouch, but still, whoever gets the opponent to block has insane advantage. You should always think of the match in these terms.

When it comes to neutral, Tao dominates most air space with 2D, j.5D-B, and air to air normals. If Valk is spending a lot of time in the air during neutral, you want to be using these moves to nab a counter hit. The only thing he has going for him over tao is beast cannon, which he has to do preemptively with the hope of you running into it. Both characters are insanely mobile so there's a lot of wacky situations that can come up in the air, but you should be controlling that part of the match if you're using the right moves and angles. Good valks won't fuss with air approaches too much because of the threat of j.5d and 2d CH combos. Tao also has a good 6A for AAing beast cannons when you're on the ground, but Valkenhayns grounded AA's are superior. He can hit 5D and auto-correct aa you with wolf normals on reaction, so be careful approaching him from the air when he is grounded, and don't overestimate crossups as an approach.

I find a lot of the most important neutral moments happen when both characters are grounded. If Valk is in human form, you want to throw out moves to catch him if he hits 5D. 5C, 6C, 5B, 2B, and 5D are all really good here. The goal is to either hit him out of wolf form just as he changes, or get him to block something in human form so that you can start your pressure game. Be careful of his shoulder charge, 5B, 6A, and 6C here. I think tao has the advantage, but those moves can still blow you up if you're predictable (6A will guardpoint 2B from some ranges, wtf). If he is in wolf form, things are a lot trickier. He can backdash and punish a lot of your normals. The best way to think of it is that dash buffered 5A, 5B, 2B, 5C, 6C, and 5D each cover more space respectively, but are also more punishable. You have to read his spacing and pick accordingly. For example if he thinks you're going to 5C, he might backdash at the tip of your 66 5C range hoping for a whiff punish. However, if you decided to 6C here you'll probably catch his backdash. Its pretty straightforward footsie mechanics actually, just at a pretty high speed and with the constant threat of him just flying at you on a whim. If you suspect that's going to happen, like i said earlier just throw out 2D, or j. 5D-B, even if you misread you have enough mobility to avoid getting punished in most situations.

If you get Valk to block and start your pressure game, make sure you vary your strings a lot. If you're predictable he can DD or 6A various holes in your pressure and take you to the corner. If you use either cat spirit's on block, you have enough advantage to usually keep pressure going. If you use 5D, you start a guessing game where he can either hit 2A, 6A, or go for movement/slower normals. 6A blows up C drive cancel in most cases, and A drive cancel if you press a button. 2A blows up button presses after A drive cancel, but loses to C drive cancel (you can just j.B for a CH). If you A cancel and then block you can punish 6A for big CH 2C damage, but if he did something bigger he'll start his pressure, or if he runs he gets out of yours. You can also B cancel occasionally, although its punishable on block so you shouldn't do it often. In the corner just avoid D in pressure altogether. Your other options are better anyway.

If you're blocking him and he's a wolf you can take a risk to 6A a wolf brake j.normal, or crouch under something and press a button. Otherwise look for reversal or CA opportunities. You can try to block his mixups but unless the player is bad you will probably get opened up. They are just too good. If you happen to block enough for him to get low on wolf gauge, watch out for the command grab (it refills his gauge so its appealing for valk in that situation). If he is forced to keep up pressure in human form you're options are way better, and he's much easier to block. Look for 6C (you can block it, low profile it, or jump out if you're quick). Watch out for shoulder charge when he's almost out of normal range. Its fast and CHs pretty hard into damage. If you block it you can press a button to stop wolf change or w/e, but if he chooses to 6A you get blown up. If you bait the 6A you get a hard punish. Its a good guessing game for him, but if make a good read you're out (or better).

That's what i got so far. If I think of anything else i'll edit it in. Hope this helps.

Does prowl work to avoid w.j.A? if it does we can get out of pressure free.

If you're blocking him and he's a wolf you can take a risk to 6A a wolf brake j.normal

Please take caution. This may only work with w5A > wolf brake j.A

It won't work with any other wolf normal regardless of which type of wolf brake the Valk uses. If you're winning, the Valk is too slow.

Does prowl work to avoid w.j.A? if it does we can get out of pressure free.

Yes, but only against w5A/5C > wolf brake j.A. You can do it from wj.C > wolf brake j.A but only if you IB wj.C, however, if they use wj.C > wolf brake j.B, you'll get hit.

This is all specifics.

Choosing to 6B after blocking a wolf C is a interesting option because

- if he goes for a 2nd C, the 6B will fatal him (6B is frame 1 low invun)

- if he goes for an overhead attempt, getting CH by jA is usually 2k damage and corner carry (the later will most likely by gone in CP 1.1)

this can be blown up very easily, but its something to keep valkenhayn on his toes so he doesn't mindlessly mixup you up.