Shinsyn

[P4AU] Yu Narukami - Gameplay Discussion

His OMC combos are still good as ever. Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mu41pT7EOE

Few things I could get off it:

-214AB> 2A is a legit combo and looks like a 1~2frame link. Yay, good reward off overhead.

-CH SB Shiden does 3.6k!

-5D is definitely faster. 5C> 5D may not be a tight block string, but if reacted too late not even 5A/2A will beat the 5D.

Finally a Narukami doing some good stuff. At 4:35, he combos 2A after close-to-ground j214AB at midscreen. It just keeps getting better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXyxbH3HQA&feature=youtu.be

two things I noticed (please do correct if these were already known, I haven't been keeping up with the footage)

5B fatals?

and AoA D finish has a dash cancel?

About the 5B fatal. The 5B caused a Fatal Counter was because Narukami's D Slide and his 2, 3, 4D have something called Fatal Recovery during its start up and active frames. In this game certain characters moves have this Fatal Recovery concept to the point where any normal or move that normally doesn't cause a Fatal Counter will do so.

About AoA's in this version you can dash or do a special move after the D ender. I saw Narukami do D Slide to Cross Slash after the D ender Fatal starter. I don't know if it's frame specific or the last hit is special cancelable, but I think those two could be the case.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone can cover it better than I could.

Just tossing this out to theory fight. What's the thought process for using 236A in combos? The usual BNB is normals>5C>214C, but I've seen some players sneak in a 236A after 5C. Does the safejump change depending on the route? Aguro was using 236A in the corner though (236A>214 for the jump), but that was probably because he already used 2C at the beginning of the combo.

This is interesting. Shadow Narukami's autocombo which was originally regular Narukami's autocombo in P4A causes a knock down when confirmed from the air with the right spacing at 3:45 to 3:48. Interesting.

http://youtu.be/TX0jQxGuRIE?t=3m45s

Just tossing this out to theory fight. What's the thought process for using 236A in combos? The usual BNB is normals>5C>214C, but I've seen some players sneak in a 236A after 5C. Does the safejump change depending on the route? Aguro was using 236A in the corner though (236A>214 for the jump), but that was probably because he already used 2C at the beginning of the combo.

Possibly since 236A has the special move cancelable property to it. It's mostly a mix-up and a means to bait reversals, since many people expect Raging Lion after it. Depending on the spacing 5C or 2C to 236A can be considering a block string and hit string. It's most likely a means to create a 50/50 or a reversal bait, but that's all I can think of. Hope this helps, if not, sorry I couldn't be of use.

This is interesting. Shadow Narukami's autocombo which was originally regular Narukami's autocombo in P4A causes a knock down when confirmed from the air with the right spacing at 3:45 to 3:48. Interesting.

Shadow Berserk looks pretty decent as a reversal tool. It's dangerous as well considering that Yu just got killed because of that unfortunate Zio and Shiden's projectile invul.

Depending on how fast is S.Berserk startup and its invul, it could potentially destroy any careless pressure by just IB'ing something somewhere and delivering the pain.

Possibly since 236A has the special move cancelable property to it. It's mostly a mix-up and a means to bait reversals, since many people expect Raging Lion after it. Depending on the spacing 5C or 2C to 236A can be considering a block string and hit string. It's most likely a means to create a 50/50 or a reversal bait, but that's all I can think of. Hope this helps, if not, sorry I couldn't be of use.

Thanks for the insight! I was just wondering why it isn't a BNB or some sort, didn't think it'd be spacing dependent. :o

I also double checked some vids, 2C doesn't seem to have SMP anymore? I guess 236A is used to end a corner combo if there's a bit more proration.

So far, this is what i've noticed in the recent pile of vids. I'll be using 4 matches of Narukami. I'll edit this post with Shadow Narukami info later on, so for now you'll have to settle for regular P4U2 Narukami.

-one thing i noticed regards his grounded DP CH. Versus Sho[Tsukiyomi] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbDl93iFQTk#t=2m48s, towards the end of the 1st round, Yu manages to get off a CH DP due to Sho's excess pressure, he's now able to combo into CS that will crossup as SHO descends.

-towards the end of the 2nd round versus Mitsuru http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH8ptSwnicw#t=4m25s, both characters arrive at neutral and Yu opts for ex-slide, while mitsuru goes for DP, however, it seems either ex-slide has more frames where he can low-profile attacks or mitsuru's DP hitbox has been raised higher, which would explain the whiff, I'm guessing the hitbox change.

-in the second round of KDB vs a Chie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKVAwnwOJOk#t=3m30s, KDB baits a chie dp by doing 5A jump-block and manages to punish the recovery of chie's dp with a 5C CH, so Chie's DP has more recovery frames along with the CH state. so thats cool for us in this MU.

-YMST does a great job at utilizing narukami's neutral game in both of these matches vs Kawakin (sho tsukiyomi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxacypdksE#t=4m21s and vs Soei (Yosuke) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxacypdksE#t=19m15s despite losing to Soei. Against Sho, he manages to hold his own, while recognizing when j.C j.214b wont connect by tryin out j.C j.236C, tho it whiffs, he's still safe and back in neutral. Against Soei, YMST does a good job at breaking yosuke's persona each 5D/j.D he throws with 5A. There's also instances where he shows its possible to combo air throw > j.2B off non-CH throw and being able to react to a CH air Zio from a distance into air Ziodyne for the kill. He does manage to go for D-zio Charged tactics where yosuke bites by activating DP, but unfortunately the DP connects each time.

again, i'll try to edit this post with Shadow Narukami info in the bottom.

P4AU Narukami balance changes (From the Mook)

If I made a mistake, let me know

Sweep: Active frames have been shortened (6-->3), recovery has been noticeably increased (5-->18)

All Out Attack: Has slightly more startup (24-->26)

All Out Rush: Deals 200 per hit, instead of 180 and has significantly more P1 (500-->1900)

5C: Has slightly more recovery (31-->33)

5D: Only hits twice, active frames for the 1st & 2nd hit have been changed (From ,2-->9,3).

Recovery has been increased (40-->52).

Frame advantage has decreased (+65-->+28)

2C: Has more recovery (21-->26)

JD: It now hits twice, significantly less startup (106 --> 32), recovery has been changed so that Yu and Izanagi recovery at the same time (15 Yu / 43 Izanagi --> 67 for both?) 

Air Throw: P2 has been changed (0, 700 ---> 1200, 100)

Furious Action: The damage on the first hit of the aerial version has been nerfed (750 --> 600)

236D: Has more frame advantage (+9-->+10)

236CD: Has more frame advantage (-2 -->-1)

214C: Invincibility has been changed (7F-20F Low --> 6F-20F Chest)

214D: Has less frame advantage (-10 -->-19), less active frames (7, 8, 7 --> 6, 10, 7), invincibility has been changed (F6-42F Low --> F6-42F Chest)

214CD: Invincibility has been changed (8F-48F Low --> 8F-59F Low)

214A: Has less frame advantage (-2 --> -4) and more recovery (14-->16)

j.214(A, B): Invincibility has been changed (4F onward while in the air--> 5F onward while in the air)

j.214: Has less frame advantage (-2 --> -6)

214B: Has less frame advantage (+3-->0), has Fatal Recovery

j.214B: Has less frame advantage (+3--> -4), 

214AB: Has Fatal Recovery

Ziodyne( C ): Has less startup (5+17--> 5+14), slightly less frame advantage (-50 --> -53), and more recovery (64 --> 67)

Ziodyne(j.C): Has slightly more startup (18+4--> 19+4)

Ziodyne(D): Has less recovery (67 --> 34)

Ziodyne(CD): Has more startup (5+20), and more frame advantage (-27), causes paralysis

Ziodyne(j.CD): Has more startup (19+10), causes paralysis

Cross Slash: Now has 3 variants 

C: Same as the original version

D: Deals more damage (1500, 4200), and more startup (20+25)

CD: Has less startup (8+5) (causes paralysis on hit & block)

Instant Kill: Has ever-so-slightly more startup(23+39--> 23+40), and ever-so-slightly less frame advantage(-45 --> -46)

Your god got bopped at the Taito 2v2. Are you all excited for Narukami buffs in P4U2's update?

Who knows.  P4U2 proved me wrong on how he'd turn out from just the change log.  Now to hope the same thing repeats itself.

Your god got bopped at the Taito 2v2. Are you all excited for Narukami buffs in P4U2's update?

I'm eagerly anticipating a Shiden Issen buff to compensate for his horrible performance. 

From those changes it looks like Narukami got nerfed slightly than buffed. His Lions both air and ground are now Fatal Recovery!0_0

Combined those with the Slides he has many to watch out for. I don't think he's getting that bad, but these changes are definitely worrying.

From those changes it looks like Narukami got nerfed slightly than buffed. His Lions both air and ground are now Fatal Recovery!0_0

Combined those with the Slides he has many to watch out for. I don't think he's getting that bad, but these changes are definitely worrying.

You are talking about P4U2, right? A universal change to the game (fatal recovery added to a lot of character specials and supers) doesn't make Narukami a slightly nerfed character. It's something that all the characters have to deal with in the new game.

He gets a hard knockdown off of the majority of his confirms which allows him to go for a 50/50 or meaty pressure without losing damage (don't forget his command grab, either). He has another amazing super in Shiden Issen, which can punish practically anything (running before the super flash, whiffs, etc.) and be followed up if you OMC it. Narukami has a new great neutral tool in j.2B and it's great for crossups and new combos as well. His average damage is higher now that he doesn't use sweep > 5D and he has slightly better meterless combos than in P4U. He can make literally any confirm hurt with meter or OMB (fullscreen CH air Zio into near-death is really stupid).

I have yet to see anything that would imply he's been nerfed. The general consensus is that Arc Sys took away 5D oki just so they can make Narukami an all around stronger character. I don't know a single person that thinks he's nerfed, haha.

P4AU Yu Narukami Changes: (In Effect as of April 25th 2014)

• Crouch C: Block-stun reduced.
  • Jump D: Recovery time shortened.
  • Shiden Issen (Purple Lightning Flash): Invincibility before and after the freeze removed. Skill Boost version damage reduced, and the attack now occurs after the freeze.
  • Cross Slash: Skill Boost version damage reduced.

Also, for those intrested in playing S. Narukami, here are the Shadow Mode Changes:

Shadow Character Changes:

• Maximum vitality of Shadow characters greatly increased.
  • Awakened SP Skills can now be used at 50 cost of the SP Gauge.
  • During Shadow Fury, the SP consumption of One More! Cancels and all Guard Cancels has been reduced by half.
  • When activating Shadow Fury from a standing position, the opponent can now move.
  • However, the Shadow Fury motion is completely invincible. Activation as a cancel works the same as before.

This should helps in further discussions.