Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Ranger88

[CP] Makoto vs Kokonoe

How to describe this match-up...not great in any degree.

The hit-box on her 5C is disjointed and has a higher vertical hit-box than what you would expect it to have. Her J.C hits overhead, also has a disjointed hit-box making 6A unreliable, and stops her momentum when its used and continues her trajectory after words. Her 6A is better in most degrees, hitting behind her and retaining head invul. while its being charged.

Combos on Kokonoe will be tighter because she has a smaller hit-box than most of the cast making some combos that stress the limit of hit-stun enable her to flip out or make level 3 charge D moves more exact. In OD combos Kokonoe has to be lower on extended combos that go wall splat into 236236D super because of her smaller hitbox.

Everybody knows the teleport can be mashed out of strings that aren't air-tight, often times resulting in a punish with a move with severe recovery on whiff. Baiting the teleport should be done by staggering quick normal that only result in 3 situations:

If she mashed teleport you will recover before her and be able to counter-hit her on recovery.

If she attempted anything else (excluding supers / burst / guard cancel blowback) she will be counter-hit on startup.

If she just blocks you continue pressure.

Be mindful of space when using 5C > C follow-up when a graviton is out because even when it is fading away it still pulls you towards it making it a real risk of whiffing the follow-up.

As far as I can tell yes. The further you are from the corner when attempting 6C > 214A~C > 236D the harder landing a level 3 charge will be. Probably for the sake of consistency its better to opt for just level 2 when pushing into the corner, you'll still get wall splat but lose some damage. I don't remember if 236D will trigger SMP if you use level 2 and level 3 in the same combo, I think it does trigger it since it is a special move and not just a normal like 2D.

Out of curiosity, what other combos have you found to be difficult to do consistently against Kokonoe?

Actually, I've never had a problem landing 5B > 5C > 6C > 214A~C > 236D on Koko. I used to have this problem against several characters with weird hitboxes but if you slightly delay the Lunatic Upper, it works on everybody midscreen. I usually use Koko as my training dummy and as far as I know, your combos still work on her. I don't think she has a tiny sliding hitbox like Jin and Valk do.

But yeah, matchup is awful. Your normals match up poorly against Koko's across the board. Her neutral is designed to give you fits. Your only real plan to get the first hit and running airtight mixups after that is to know your opponent's tendencies and that gets much tougher the better your opponent is.

I don't remember anyone finding a combo to use to punish Super Koko Ball. It probably involves 5D then blocking and recovering in time for the pickup. Without that combo, that's just another thing Koko can abuse against you.

I was checking out a Makoto combo video while practicing (Kokonoe just happened to be the cpu I picked) but 3C 5C 2D(3) seems really tight. Whether that's difficult due to:

– Kokonoe hitbox,

– being a Combo video to just show-off, or

– Me not playing as much

I can't get the 5C to hit consistently on her compared to other characters.

I don't remember anyone finding a combo to use to punish Super Koko Ball. It probably involves 5D then blocking and recovering in time for the pickup. Without that combo, that's just another thing Koko can abuse against you.

Again, I'm no Makoto expert, but as long as she's not in the corner when she does it, why not just do IB > 5B 5C 214A (into whatever)? That gets out of the A Ball.