Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SecretAgentN3al

Arakune Critique Thread - Help out fellow Arakunes!

Skye, I notice that you always transition from 5a to 5b>2c>6d instead of 6b>j6d. Is there a reason for that? I play a few Azrael's and I personally like to have him well away from me. Do you think what you're doing is the optimum route, or do you like playing that mid range distance? I can see the advantages if the last hit gets curse because at full screen we have to waste time and meter getting in, and our approach can get stuffed or they can run around us if they're a mobile character.

Another thing I noticed, but you don't often use 6b>f of g. I often pass it up myself unless consciously thinking about it because I'm bad at confirms and just autopilot my combos into 6d. Then I swear at myself for having to land another 2 hits to get back into curse. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, so are you saving the meter for something else? Or do you not like the full screen curse like I talked about above?

Looking forward to seeing Arakune repped at Evo. Good luck.

So Skye and I are confirmed dustloop AraKune's going to EVO. :) Anyone else?

Anyways, after watching more videos posted here, I must say that you guys should really get over your tournament nerves because some of these decisions and mistakes you all make during a match are very questionable. Hence why i'll be nice and just consider the fact that it may be the nerves coming into play...but then there are things I see that I will have to call out.

Finally got to do some recording at a local. I get that this isn't the most active of character boards, but I figured I would post these to get some advice on my play. All constructive criticism is welcome. I can see by myself that I need to keep grinding out combos and work on my hit confirms. Any other areas I can improve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1kAz4Rqck&list=PLMlhky0KGLcbaB5uUd3pnYDaAmNxBqKS7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86DfnOzqR3k&list=PLMlhky0KGLcbaB5uUd3pnYDaAmNxBqKS7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNE8NmkD-8&index=14&list=PLMlhky0KGLcbaB5uUd3pnYDaAmNxBqKS7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRX88ovJmaE&list=PLMlhky0KGLcbaB5uUd3pnYDaAmNxBqKS7

Edit for another vid from crews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAp0zU9pcT8#t=1529

First video:

- If you have your opponent in a blockstring, continue it and try to end it with a jump or teleport cancelable normal or use 5D if you don't have enough range to reach with 2B. I'll admit, I sometimes find myself whiffing 2b so i'll just leave it at that. Also, don't 2B and keeping poking with that. Extend the blockstring with 5B> 5D, 5A, 5D, 2C, 2D, or teleport

- Don't 3C on block and just take the punish. Teleport or equals zero immedeately to keep up the momentum and stay neutral at least.

- You anti air'd azrael with your back to the corner...The situation couldn't have been any better and there could have been a potential for a comeback. Yet, you decided to go for the j.2b ender rather than j.2a, which is something you should do if you only did 5C > j.a > j. c rather than j.a > j.b > j.c. Reason being is because J.2a allows you to get the favorable position (your opponent in the corner, cursed). If you dive canceled, you then proceed with 5d (wallsplat) > 66 > 6b > j .6d > 6d. Now, even if the j 2b did hit, you only get a measley 30% increase in curse meter and you're still stuck in the corner unless you wall teleport and go back to neutral with very little health.

- Did you drop the wall splat combo by just doing 5D? Why? what happened? Because that retry was extremely risky and that could have been avoided if you did 5d > equals zero > 6b> j6d > 6d. ANOTHER lost full curse attempt.

- Ok you finally got Azrael in Curse after two failed attempts and one extremely risky attempt that gave it to you. Now it's time for your curse corner game...Well, at least you did a+b after 5D...But...

1. You let go of A bug too early, which could have given Azrael a changce to air tech away from the corner, making bug pressure a lot more of a headache than it should be. I mean come on...Your opponent is cursed in the corner. You MUST AND SHOULD BE in control.
2. Other than letting go of a bug too early, even if you did it on time...where's the c/d bugs? Keep in mind that growler does not activate in mid air so if your intention was to keep him in the air with A bug and lock him towards the ground with b/c/d bugs then good try. But you really need to work on your mix up if you are hoping to get any where with confirming that curse combo. Try not to buffer D bug with 2/3d and use 2c, 214c. In fact, hold D after 5D and C after 2C. There, you have bugs at your disposal to release towards azrael. 

- Learn how to block against Azrael because you seem to be clueless in that aspect and kept getting hit by his overheads and mix ups. You kept backdashing away which kinda gets you away but Azrael can catch up and the best that can happen for you is another blockstring to block.

- I'll forgive the total fuck up of that first rep of the curse combo, because that Azrael player did not know how to block and kept mashing to do something on wake up like...all the time and i'm glad he is getting blown up for it...But you decided to end the curse combo with f-inverse? Why!?!?! The damage scale should be ridiculous at that point of the combo and Azrael was not gonna die at the rate his health was deteriorating. You should have ended the curse combo differently to get a head start with Oki and curse meter like 5D > d bug 2 > 22c > 6A > 6B > 6D. He would have growlered, you would have waited, and BAM! Punish for another curse.

- 2:58 in the video, that was not gonna happen. If you want to keep him in the corner and want to keep the offensive post-curse, you should have 6b > 6D to keep bell bug above him.

- Dont 6D up close like that ever.

Second Set:

- Now you decide to play keep away and zone him with cloud, bell bug, and j.d stuff. Good idea!

- Now that curse game mid screen...a/b bug approach is ok but you need to find a better option to buffer the bugs as you approach. also, your opponent was too far from the corner to start release those C/D bugs. This all together kept you from from starting anything off in this round.

- F-inverse > 6b > IAD j 6d > j6c > j6c > j236c. Just saying.

- Play more conservatively and try not to throw out 2C out of nowhere like that and make sure azrael is grounded and you have meter to rapid if he blocks low.

- Practice your midscreen and corner curse combos and try to find some viable ways to confirm your opponent into curse combo.

- Learn when to 2a, as in only during a blockstring or very close in neutral or mixup curse. 5A should be your go to poke. Try to get used to that, especialy 5a>2a mixups. You'll eventually confirm.

-In general, anti air more.

Fourth Video:

- If you see Tsubaki charge full screen, 22C or IAD J 6d. You can also take the time to set bell bug out and do 22C in mid air as well. But careful with the way you set 6D or just about anything up if she is running towards you. Be the first to zone her and keep her out to do so.

- anticipate the charge through move, block it without pressing any buttons, and 5A punish. This tsubaki could have gotten blown up so many times.

-when you learn how to block against Tsubaki and learn about the gaps in her combos that give you the chance to not only escape but take the offensive away from her with a simple 5A poke, this match up will be much more manageable. 2A is too slow.

- Use a and b to get up during curse to get automatic curse pressure against opponent if all they do is stand over you.

- use 214b to dodge possible dp and get a free punish if dodged successfully. Keep in mind not to do this too much or so predictably.

- Use j6a to buffer a bug to continue blockstring and if you're at an awkward, mid range distance from opponent

- You got air grabbed four times in the beginning of the 5 rounds of this set....four times in this set. This tsubaki player had no respect and you did not even close that option from the player. Try sj a, sjb, or anti air 5C.

- Do 214c to avoid a full screen requiem maledictus. Of course, tsubaki can catch on to this and air dash toward where you supposedly teleported from but i'm sure the tsubaki player would have been flustered and lost.

So Skye and I are confirmed dustloop AraKune's going to EVO. :) Anyone else?

I've already registered and gotten everything booked for EVO this year, so I'll be there as well.  Also contemplating going to UFGT at the end of next month.  I'd say I'm about 90% sure I'm going at this point.

I've been spending way too much of my free-time trying to get better at this game.  Been focusing mainly on learning the mechanics and block strings of other characters.  Defense is still one of my biggest weak-points.  But yeah, my goal for EVO is to not go 0-2.  As long as that doesn't happen, I'll be happy with my results.

Glad to hear you have been making an effort in improving with a goal. I have spent the last several months attending monthlies at NYC Next level tournies and have been placing better and better (0-2, 1-2, 2-2, and recently 3-2) so I guess that's a good thing and I hope this helps me prepare for my EVO pool/matches. :) I get this gut feeling I might choke though. Bad match ups/counterpicks can be a bitch and I have ah ard time maining more than one characters due to time/just sucking at learning more than one character. lol

If I manage to see some of you at EVO, i'll look forward to some casual Mirrors and maybe risky AraKune MMs lol. I'll be in a vegas mood so i'll defintely be challenging several players in MMs. Hopefully I can record the matches. :D

Skye, I notice that you always transition from 5a to 5b>2c>6d instead of 6b>j6d. Is there a reason for that? I play a few Azrael's and I personally like to have him well away from me. Do you think what you're doing is the optimum route, or do you like playing that mid range distance? I can see the advantages if the last hit gets curse because at full screen we have to waste time and meter getting in, and our approach can get stuffed or they can run around us if they're a mobile character.

Another thing I noticed, but you don't often use 6b>f of g. I often pass it up myself unless consciously thinking about it because I'm bad at confirms and just autopilot my combos into 6d. Then I swear at myself for having to land another 2 hits to get back into curse. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, so are you saving the meter for something else? Or do you not like the full screen curse like I talked about above?

Looking forward to seeing Arakune repped at Evo. Good luck.

After watching it myself I noticed those exact things as well. 5b > 2c works at damn near max range so I just had it in my muscle memory, there were times I felt like I'd have been better off going the 6b route, but I do actually prefer the mid range game vs Azrael. It's either that, which allows me to either pursue with pseudo oki or set up a safe zoning game with cloud. If I end with j.d and it doesn't activate curse, then I leave Azrael teching in the air, which is opening a can of gimmicks. If I end with j.d > j.6c > dj.6c > spin, I'm too close and have to commit to the pseudo oki and Azrael has too many quality defensive options for that dice roll to be completely reliable.

The f.g thing, yeah, I wasn't even thinking about that at the time, the other grind sessions (which were unfortunately unrecorded) I used it a lot more though. As well as 5a > 6b combos, including the 100% curse corner combo.

I even managed to use the center screen to corner 5a > 6b combo, felt good.

I also came up with some Growler specific curse oki set ups. I'll list them once I can get on a computer and not on tapatalk.

Also, 3 Arakune's going to EVO (myself included)?

Fucking sweet. We're gonna have so many conversations about shit like a couple of jail bait girls having a slumber party. Can't wait.

This is my first post, please don't chew me out.

I am not exactly new to Arakune, but I would love to get better at him, and I honestly don't have anyone to practice him with except random online matches (which inevitably leads me to getting my ass kicked without doing anything at all( despite doing all the supplementary reading)), and that rarely ever becomes productive.

I don't exactly have ability to go around to the arcades, but if anyone is willing to spend some time showing newbie how to manage the blob over PSN, that would be largely appreciated.

Add me on PSN whenever you get the chance.  I have a headset if you want to just play games and talk about Arakune theory.  I'm not the best Arakune ever, but I probably have a few things I could teach you.  And if not, then maybe I'll learn some things from you.  @__@

Here's a question for other Arakune mains (I'm assuming this is the best thread for this since it's technically a question about improving as a player):

Pad, Stick, or Hitbox?

I've been playing with a stick for a long time in this game.  To this day, I still cannot reliably IAD j.4B.  I've spent weeks and weeks trying to train my hands to do this input quickly, and I still whiff it a lot.  Picked up a pad today, and got it down in a matter of seconds.  I've lost the ability to properly "arm" my A and B bugs in the curse neutral game, but I can kind of get around that with mapping A+B to a button.  A hitbox seems like it would be the best of both worlds, but I doubt I'll be able to pick one of those up in the near future.  I'm lost, and just thought I'd get the opinions of other Arakune players on what they think is the most optimal controller choice for this character (or game) in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majh3tYZ8ns&list=PLFxUa-HuhqwAdvcOkr05DY8kzKWThJuy3&feature=mh_lolz 

I hope i am posting that right. it should be a link to a playlist with & of my Match vids. this is older footage

http://www.twitch.tv/milehighburst/b/533847511

that is a link to a more recent of my gameplay. i am the only arakune that plays locally. so if you are willing to watch and help me out i would appreciate it.

EDIT:

if anyone can give me some good feedback asap that would be nice.

I guess I'll watch and give tips later tonight though.

so no one has given feedback at all. that sucks

I scanned through the first 20 minutes, if there is a specific spot where you want feedback let me know.

Bug control is a must, get used to putting certain bugs in certain spots, don't flail and waste precious curse meter, if they jump then just keep the pressure and wait for them to land. Properly timed bugs will eliminate up back almost completely. Plus if you know they're planning to chicken block, then a 2b, 2c, 4b starter is free.

6c is terrible for anything but combos, don't use it as mix up. Your overhead starter should be j.c or 6a in a pinch. proper bug control helps here too so you can confirm or OS into pressure if they block it.

His j.6x series is good for movement, personally I would only use j.6a for the quick recovery, and only on a full jump/double jump situation, but you seem to use it a lot and get hit for it. You have a handle on his movement and that's really good, but practice low air dashes, it's better for you.

Use 2b meaty in the corner for pre-curse oki, they should never roll behind you, if you tap 2b5b, that's an OS, if they roll, you catch them with the 2b, and the 5b will combo allowing for a 100% curse combo, if they neutral tech, you just whiff the 2b and can recover in time to pressure them. It's a seriously good tool.

If you curse them with a Short starter, then just run oki, don't try to flesh damage out of it unless it's for the kill. running oki and getting in with mix up is far more rewarding, because best case scenario you can net 5-6, and still have some bugs left over for an unblockable into recurse.

Don't be afraid to AA Azrael.

Utilize your meter and OD better, if you need that curse then go into f.g or OD j.d. You miss a lot of clutch situations to turn the tables with that.

I scanned through the first 20 minutes, if there is a specific spot where you want feedback let me know.

Bug control is a must, get used to putting certain bugs in certain spots, don't flail and waste precious curse meter, if they jump then just keep the pressure and wait for them to land. Properly timed bugs will eliminate up back almost completely. Plus if you know they're planning to chicken block, then a 2b, 2c, 4b starter is free.

6c is terrible for anything but combos, don't use it as mix up. Your overhead starter should be j.c or 6a in a pinch. proper bug control helps here too so you can confirm or OS into pressure if they block it.

His j.6x series is good for movement, personally I would only use j.6a for the quick recovery, and only on a full jump/double jump situation, but you seem to use it a lot and get hit for it. You have a handle on his movement and that's really good, but practice low air dashes, it's better for you.

Use 2b meaty in the corner for pre-curse oki, they should never roll behind you, if you tap 2b5b, that's an OS, if they roll, you catch them with the 2b, and the 5b will combo allowing for a 100% curse combo, if they neutral tech, you just whiff the 2b and can recover in time to pressure them. It's a seriously good tool.

If you curse them with a Short starter, then just run oki, don't try to flesh damage out of it unless it's for the kill. running oki and getting in with mix up is far more rewarding, because best case scenario you can net 5-6, and still have some bugs left over for an unblockable into recurse.

Don't be afraid to AA Azrael.

Utilize your meter and OD better, if you need that curse then go into f.g or OD j.d. You miss a lot of clutch situations to turn the tables with that.

thank you much for the critique i will have to post some newer vids sometime when i can get some. but those are all pre evo vids.