Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Malcopunch

New Fighting Game Based On Shining Series

Can't believe I missed this [mostly because I had given up hope on seeing any footage]

Demonstration [ Part 1 | Part 2 ]

Location Test footage [ Part 1 | Part 2 ]

I like that you can switch characters in between rounds [which also disproves any assist only characters]. I'll have to process it later but I can already tell it is rough around the edges and can hear the #poverty dissing already :x

I like the chars but I see it kind of sluggish, but I like that you can change chars between rounds too. If only they retained the mechanics and made it a bit faster......

If this game got a bit more polish for its final release, I could see myself playing it.

Who am I kidding? I'm going to play it anyway just so I can mash Sakuya buttons <3.

Switching characters only between rounds? Shades of Rival Schools. I never cared for that system though, mid-round tagging is much more interesting.

Ok, so after sitting down and watching it, game actually looks legit fun, the game's speed is just fine [it looks pretty brisk to me] only really problem is clunky animation due to actual poverty models, since I doubt this game has that great a budget that probably isn't going to change, but that's fine. Other than that just seems like a typical fighter at this point; no air dashes and most likely no air block, chip damage and possibly chip death, meter reset between rounds [sadface]. The one interesting aspect is in how Support characters are handled, they seem to have no cool down at all unlike in other games of the type, instead they are solely meter dependent, but your secondary gauge does have moments where it is greyed out and it appears you can't use anything that consumes it [including Support].

Honestly the switching between rounds could add a great layer of meta, especially if this becomes a matchup heavy game, and this takes off the pressure of forcing you to learn multiple characters if you don't want to. Tag systems are fun but generally, if it's elimination, you're pretty much going to stick to a character until they're KO'd, it's sudden death then it boils down to a game of finding/abusing switches and often only switching for vitality reasons and less often for strategic ones. Ougen is still my favorite tag system for making switching completely about resource management and not health.

Damn, was too busy playing XIV to post about this lol but yeah, new location testing and main visual, however, at least based on the previous PV's teaser, I don't think we're looking at the full cast. The only surprise was Isaac, who [to the best of my knowledge] was not hinted at all.

I really dislike the addition of damage numbers popping up on each hit.  It's very visually distracting.

Somehow I didn't mind it in Battle Fantasia, but it's definitely worse here.

Still generic and bland, but this looks significantly better than the initial reveal. Getting major Battle Fantasia vibes. It's still not a good representative of the Shining series, though.

Here is some writing about Blade Arcus from Beast Note. Mainly some brief impressions about the game on his blog: http://beastnote.blogspot.com/2014/11/blade-arcus-day1-casuals-altina-jp1-video.html

He also posted some footage on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaoyVbtVlRY&list=PLV-HBIedMKc_qIugBetan8dkqkih1bOjm&index=1

More footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmOyIOfawA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9gqHl8XYd0

I'm guessing this is from Leisureland arcade?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD_rgZuY-K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJsapcM0uWM

The quality of play is much higher in these matches than what else I have seen, thus far. That zoning from the Altina player in Beast Note's playlist is impressive.

Game A-cho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc5RXsTZ0Dc

It’s going to take a while for this game to get any traction. Those who are curiosity should wait a while till player get a handle of the game. Though I think we can safely assume this just another footsie 1 v 1 game that more polished than CFJ with addition to character support system. Outside of that you’re not getting much more out of it but series nostalgic.

I really think they should have went with tag like mechanic. Preferably something like Neo geo battle coliseum or RoD. Simply because we already have Denki Fighting climax for our 1 v 1 assist game, outside of character swaps both game looking too similar.

It is probably nice to have the option to switch between characters in Blade Arcus, but whether it even matters in gameplay, I think, will depend on how character match ups end up in the game. So far it doesn't seem like a bad strategy to pick a secondary character solely for their assist and role in your team super, but perhaps later in this game's life that kind of strategy will end being a poor one.

I agree that this game is not 2v2. It's just 1v1 with the ability to switch between characters, which is funny, because I was actually hoping for DFC to have this type of gameplay. I was quite disappointed to see DFC to have assist-only characters like Aquapazza.

I posted this in a FB group, but thought I'd share my thoughts here.

So, I think I've watched enough Blade Arcus to have an idea of how/what it is. It looks like Battle Fantasia, Koihime/AP and CFJ mixed together. Sound weird? Well...yeah.

It's 1vs1 technically, but like Jam you can switch characters between rounds. Inactive character is your assist character with multiple assists and you can Saving Shift a combo. That's KOFXI for doing an assist while you're being hit, of course using resources and doing damage comparable to like a guard cancel. Chip doesn't kill.

The characters...well, right now, and it's very early still, some of them do seem appreciably stronger. A rundown of what we have here:

Main black dress katana girl character that seems like one of the top in the game. DP. Arawn j.B. Short range Orie stab. Good overhead. Aaaand VERY strong Johnny cancels for pressure and good combos. Good, solid and effective rushdown. No projectile. Turns into Karulau and Sasara basically for her supers lol.

Main dude katana character with like a shirt around his waist or something: Similar to katana girl, but slower and with bigger normals and huge specials. Looks pretty simple. Seems good, but not amazing. He looks like he's from Bleach or something.

Chinese martial artist girl because every game has that! Well, she's Chun Li and Athena with repukens and a beam super. Her dp is just like df+LK from SF4. Her stance is exactly Athena's. Basically another simpler strong main character.

Cat girl. Very, very cat girl. Dive kick and really strong, REALLY annoying pressure. I mean, maybe even better than the first character I mentioned. Probably high tier, but doesn't seem to have so much in the way of defensive options. She's like a cross between Kohaku and Taokaka as far as design.

Witch girl, whose name is Melty lol. She hits you with ice cream. Zoning character. Her projectiles and way of swinging stuff like a bat reminds me of Ai from NGBC. Has an okay overhead. Seems decent. Lots of ice cream.

Elf archer. Strong, Mina-esque arrows. Vertical, diagonal, setups, delayed, etc. Has Morgan's slide. Kind of reminiscent of several archer characters. Seems decent. Would need a counter assist or certain characters to get in on her, I think.

The Brent (me) character, heavy armor/weapons girl who is basically Sasara minus the dp and plus j.C being an unsafe instant overhead. That's pretty much it. Um...yeah. She doesn't seem very good. Needs better anti airs/a reversal of some kind. Popular, though, because Japanese people like Brent characters too. Shield bash also has an aerial version that's a dive move, but its activation is like Rugal dive in that she hovers a bit before falling.

Fists dude. He's like Akatsuki. Pretty decent fireball. Seems decent.

Eyepatch Alucard. Exactly as it sounds. His moves are like Goenitz, but with more of a delay before the lightning strike (in this case) for setups. Multi-hit dagger normals. Seems like a grimy dude. High tier, definitely.

Wolf dude. There's totally a wolf dude. Fights with claws, decent damage, rushdown. Doesn't seem overly impressive. Standard martial arts character.

I hope they can fix some of the problems I've heard about (head to heads having some kind of delay), but for the most part I think the game looks fun.

hum, saw a-cho streams, and maked sense of the game this way (may be completely wrong tho)

-Zooners: Altina (elf) and Melty (witch) , can pester from fullscreen with projectyles, but normals are just regular. Altina can cover more angles, but she's a charge character, having to plan ahead.

-Pokers: Roserinde (red armor) and Reiji (guy with a katana and orange hair), have very good normals, with a lot of range and priority. They have a lot of crossup potential too. But their walk and dash speed is really slow. Roserinde got better special moves (looks like they have super armor/invul?), but she's a charge character, having to plan ahead.

-Rushdown: Fenrir (wolf) and Xiao (cat girl), have really really good walk/dash speed and special moves make them travel the screen pretty fast too. But their normals lack range and priority. From point blank, they can go for "anime" staggers.

Pairon (chinese girl) looks like a hybrid of rushdown+zooner with emphasis in zooning.

Sakuya (girl with katana) looks like a hybrid of poker+rushdown...she have the good pokes and the speed. But I had the impression she have lower health than usual...

Issac (dude with long white hair) looks like a hybrid of rushdown+zooner with emphasis in rushdown.

Ryuga (claw dude) looks like a well rounded hybrid of the 3.

The 3 archetypes with defined strong points and weak points create part of the ballance, and kind of define the playstyles people should use with the characters.

So the hybrids have potential to be much stronger or weaker than they should...