Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blade

Would people be interested in a BlazBlue Quote Project?

Here's the thing, in the past I had not especially considered doing this for BlazBlue for the main reason that everything was already translated beforehand courtesy of Aksys Games' localization team.

But apparently with BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma, none of the voice sound test was included in the game's Gallery.

Certainly, having stuff pre-translated ahead of time saves me (or anyone else) the work of translating, but it's also nice to know what the heck everyone is saying as sometimes even English (especially Arakune's "English" if you can call it that) gets garbled in the audio and hard to make out.

Not only that, but sometimes the localized voices don't always do a "direct translation" of their Japanese counterparts, so there's some things that get lost in translation.

I'm not saying I will spearhead said project, but I'm just laying the idea on the table to discuss if people would be interested to work on something like this.

Right now as it is BlazBlue isn't finished as a fighting game series, so by that line of thinking we can expect at least one more game before the saga is "mostly complete".

So what I am thinking is, to create a Quote Listing (Win Quotes, in-battle quotes, taunts, special quotes, what have you) same as I did with Guilty Gear Quote Project that covers:

--BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (I own this, so it's easy to reference)
--BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (again I own this)
--BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (I own this as well)
--BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma (I recently learned that people over at Mugen Guild forums ripped the character voice audio... so it wouldn't be hard to work on it at some point).
--BlazBlue: Insert Time-related Subtitle Here (the sequel that we all expect will come)

Having a complete list of all character battle quotes (Japanese, English, and Direct translation) would definitely be a nice addition for fans looking to know everything there is to know about BlazBlue's game history (and I know they're out there, frothing at the mouth that I didn't make a project like this for BB and only did it for GG anyway).

Again, not saying I will work on this (as obviously I'm only one guy and I got a life to live and I'm a bigger GG fan anyway), but putting a bee in your bonnets to think about.  I know there's plenty of people who would be interested (Tong and BladeofJustice were already nagging me about this earlier).

I will "help" if it comes down to people wanting to do this... but for now, it's a suggestion/idea/thought in your brains to think about.

And yes, people have asked me if I would ever make a Q&A Blog for BlazBlue story related stuff... I will *think* about it but I'm not the BB story expert around here.

Wow you guys have been busy.  I'm glad to see there's fans for such things.

@harmless kitten: I know what it's like, I had to wade through all of Slayer's Haiku bits and translate them all.  You'll feel better when it's done. :)

I've actually been typing up all the quotes that play after you defeat a character in arcade mode, but I'm only about 1/3 of the way through. 676 quotes is a lot to get through.

You get those from netplay too, so you and a friend can grind it out if you like.

The "old fashioned" way to do it is to just play Arcade Mode with 2 controllers and hit start, beat the crap out of somebody for 1 round and see the end quote.

Nice to know they allow it for Netplay and Lobby though.

Also don't forget about Mirror Match Quotes. :D

Not sure if BBCP has "boss exclusive" quotes though (I-No in Guilty Gear did).

Keep in mind that characters you "have a drama conversation with" in Arcade mode don't have a Win quote unless Player 2 butts in to challenge you.  So for example, in BBCT, Jin might talk to Ragna in the Drama Section of Arcade Mode, but if Player 2 picks Jin and they fight, he has his own quote too.

You get those from netplay too, so you and a friend can grind it out if you like.

Yes, it's something I'm very thankful for. I don't recall past versions doing that and doing it in CSE was pretty tedious to the extent that I never did fully finish, but I got everyone except Arakune (annoying text) and half of Rachel's. I compiled all of CSE's win quotes (sans Arakune). There's some interesting stuff in there. Never got around to CT, but 144 win quotes compared to 361 (Extend) and 676 (CP) isn't too bad. I also typed up all of CP and CSE's arcade modes. Now THAT was a lot of typing.

All of my stuff is uploaded here if anybody wants to take a look. If someone doesn't like the format or the site, I could also throw up plain text uploads. I haven't proofread everything yet (especially CP arcade where there's a lot of typos), but I plan on doing it once I finish everything else first.

This looks interesting, I might be able to help with a few direct translations, although I don't have anything compiled, just whatever's in my head.

I know lots of Terumi/Hazama stuff.

Now that I think on it though, I'm really curious to know what all was in Library Mode that we missed out on, since it wasn't localized.  That's another potential project (that we can save for a rainy day or something).

If this is still going on, I'd have no problem finishing CT. I want an excuse to go back to it anyway.

Well, for now, I'm looking for people willing to work on expanding what's already out there.  The Wiki is already a good start based on the links I saw on this thread.  As for things like Library Mode and such, I don't own the Japanese version (of BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma) so I couldn't access it.

You'd have to consult someone who does and can give us direct info (maybe even read Japanese).

Now if only we could get somebody on board for GGXrd's Japanese Database Mode Library (to compare it with how they localized it).

Thanks VermillionBird for your contributions!

Now that I think on it though, I'm really curious to know what all was in Library Mode that we missed out on, since it wasn't localized.  That's another potential project (that we can save for a rainy day or something).

Library Mode confirmed for English version of BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Extend, guys.

Less work for me (or anyone else) to do.

I'm still thinking about doing stuff for Sound Test though (mostly for fighting games that don't have it, BBCPEX, GGXrd-S- or GGXrd-R-).

Not sure I would like to do it for things like System Announcer DLC Voicework though, since that's too generic.  Unless you want to do an Add-lib sort of thing for that?